02-03-2009, 10:56 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7918212.stm

Scary!

Stafford
02-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Only a 122mph!

Gilps
02-03-2009, 11:52 AM
What a pillock. Totally irresponsible. I reckon that's going to cost him a lot more than just 6 months inside. Possible loss of job, loss of access to son.

Pedro
02-03-2009, 12:00 PM
what a t*t.....

LVC
02-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Doesn't show a lot of fartherly love really. 122mph on your own - your choice, but with a pillion especially a 14 year old is not very smart IMHO. It's not going to help his access rights either.

Plum
02-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Prick deserves all he gets. Its idiots like him who get us all tared with the same brush. But to do it with a pillion of any age is irresponsible. I dont care if you have a pillion who is a comfortable or egging you on. The life you end may not just be your own!

PDL
02-03-2009, 12:31 PM
A total idiot and with his kid on the back in the wet.

Mand
02-03-2009, 12:32 PM
What an ar$e. It's people like him that give bikers a bad name.

Capo
02-03-2009, 12:54 PM
He would have gotten less for mugging an old lady.

Paivi
02-03-2009, 01:00 PM
While his actions were perhaps not the most prudent, I don't agree with a prison sentence. I think these should be reserved for violent crimes.

geeman
02-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Seems about right for the british justice system, if he had gone out and mugged an old lady he'd probably have only got 100 hours community service and £200 fine! Although I'm not suggesting he get let off, we just have a f****d up justice system

jerry
02-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Might as well kill someone .... you get a shorter sentence. The guy was irresponsible but the authorities are equally irresponsible for not being sensible with the application of the law.

hhmunro
02-03-2009, 03:32 PM
I love the idea of the case being based on what might have happened if he had lost control, (which he did not)and the fact his Son was not wearing gloves-as I understand it the helmet is the only legally required piece of protective 'clothing' on a bike. I feel an articulated lorry out of control would do more damage,so why not nail every lorry-driver over the limit for the potential carnage they may cause? Was it prudent,very,very far from it,was it illegal,yes, does he deserve jail, I feel not...

Seb_uk
02-03-2009, 03:46 PM
I agree that the guy is an absolute a$$hole and what he did was totally iresponsible.

However, not defending that kind of riding in the slightest, did anyone else notice the "error" message at the bottom of the photo. I could be mistaken, but from memory I think that may mean the speed reading can not be taken as accurate. I'm surprised his solicitor didn't pick up on that.

Either way, it's probably just as well as the guy doesn't deserve a bike license. Now he has plenty of time to think about his actions.......

PDL
02-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Well actually he would have got less if he had of killed someone.

Example: Lord Ahmed gor 3 months for death by dangerous driving when he killed someone whilst texting.

bigredduke
02-03-2009, 03:58 PM
There was a phone-in today on the Jeremy Vine show (Radio 2 12-2) at about 1.40 ish which asked people if children (under 16 presumably) should be allowed by law to ride pillion at all. Some patronising female journalist said that is was unacceptably dangerous under any circumstances. My daughter has rode pillion from 10 years of age and loves it. I feel that this is probably about the right age due to height, weight and sense of danger but I wouldn't like to suggest a lower limit if the child can reach the pegs and can hold on properly.

Opinions from terribly sensible UKMOC members?

BTW you can listen to the last section on the bbc web site
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/vine/

geeman
02-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Well actually he would have got less if he had of killed someone.

Example: Lord Ahmed gor 3 months for death by dangerous driving when he killed someone whilst texting.

I dont think the two can be compared as Lord Ahmed was controlling a "car" where as Mr bennett was riding a weapon of mass destruction

retskcid
02-03-2009, 04:07 PM
It wasn't a very sensible thing to do. Personally, I would not like to see age limits applied, as usual that would hit everyone other than those it is intended for. And there are far too many restrictions these days. As far as prison goes, unfortunately the law is mostly an ass and is very inconsistent - causing death by dangerous driving whilst texting should carry a far greater punishment than 3 months. jmho.

Nonnie
02-03-2009, 04:10 PM
There was a phone-in today on the Jeremy Vine show (Radio 2 12-2) at about 1.40 ish which asked people if children (under 16 presumably) should be allowed by law to ride pillion at all. Some patronising female journalist said that is was unacceptably dangerous under any circumstances. My daughter has rode pillion from 10 years of age and loves it. I feel that this is probably about the right age due to height, weight and sense of danger but I wouldn't like to suggest a lower limit if the child can reach the pegs and can hold on properly.

Opinions from terribly sensible UKMOC members?

BTW you can listen to the last section on the bbc web site
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/vine/

Oh gosh me me, I'm terribly sensible.

I have taken my daughter pillion. She was 10 the first time. I absolutely hated it. Far too much responsibility. Not only did I question whether my own riding skills were good enough but I questioned the on road antics of other riders/drivers etc and decided that it just wasn't worth it. There is nothing I can feasibly do about others' skills on the road so the thought of my daughter coming to harm through either my own actions or another persons, was more than enough to not want to take her on the back.

Personally I didn't see how it could be fun if I was that worried about her.

Pedro
02-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Oh gosh me me, I'm terribly sensible.

I have taken my daughter pillion. She was 10 the first time. I absolutely hated it. Far too much responsibility. Not only did I question whether my own riding skills were good enough but I questioned the on road antics of other riders/drivers etc and decided that it just wasn't worth it. There is nothing I can feasibly do about others' skills on the road so the thought of my daughter coming to harm through either my own actions or another persons, was more than enough to not want to take her on the back.

Personally I didn't see how it could be fun if I was that worried about her.

Blimey Nonnie, that's remarkably lucid and well thought out. Are you feeling OK? It's just so far from your normal offerings!!

:chuckle:

mad_turnips
02-03-2009, 04:26 PM
iv had a mates daughter pilion she was seven but she could reach the pegs she loved it i wasnt doing big speeds and stayed in town but think an age limit is stupid watching tv is in my opion more damaging for kids than i ride out

Pomp1
02-03-2009, 05:24 PM
a ban is acceptable, but prison time is a bit OTT. But bikers are the roots of all evil in some peoples opinion.Re age restriction, I was on the the back of my dads Kwak Z 1300 at the age of 4( ah,the '80s), loved it and rode a bike pretty much since. When I take my g'friend I'm obviously a different rider, no stupid stuff and so on.

Nonnie
02-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Blimey Nonnie, that's remarkably lucid and well thought out. Are you feeling OK? It's just so far from your normal offerings!!

:chuckle:

Hey Peter Piper, sometimes the lucid stuff gets in front of the random stuff.

PDL
02-03-2009, 06:28 PM
The strange thing is that on open roads in the IOM this bloke would not have broken the law at 120mph.

The judge has given the bloke a sentance based on what may have happened if there had been an accidnet which is totally wrong.

Robot
02-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Ban? Yes. Big fine? Certainly. But to be locked up for that ! What is happening to the judicial system in this country ?

gremlin
02-03-2009, 09:01 PM
It would be nice if there was some consistancy, killing someone while texting is way worse than just speeding, I mean no one was hurt for gods sake. There really needs to be some logic to sentencing, crimes where harm is done should carry a greater sentence regardless of how they were committed, ie death by dangerous driving, mugging etc. Our mate got three years for killing his wife, Ahmed got three months how is that fair? It seems to be different in every court, so there should be a guidline so everyone gives the same sentence for the same crimes instead of the lottery we have now.

Paivi
02-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Lord Ahmed wasn't texting when he hit the car, which was stationary on the fast lane by the way, having been crashed through the central barrier by a drunk driver. A car that the police admitted no driver could have seen on this unlit road until almost upon it.

He sent his last text three miles earlier. The way I see it, Ahmed did everybody a favour by removing a drunk driver from the roads permanently.

lcjohnny
02-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Lord Ahmed wasn't texting when he hit the car, which was stationary on the fast lane by the way, having been crashed through the central barrier by a drunk driver. A car that the police admitted no driver could have seen on this unlit road until almost upon it.

He sent his last text three miles earlier. The way I see it, Ahmed did everybody a favour by removing a drunk driver from the roads permanently.
But if "...no driver could have seen..." the car"...on this unlit road until almost upon in" then conditions must have been so poor that any reasonable driver woudl have travelled at walking pace. You should always be able to see the distance you need to brake in (except on the track) so my honourable lord must have been driving too fast. He deserves more months than someone who went over a legal limit but did not have an accident and injured no one.

Not all obstacles have helpful lights - cows, deer, pedestrians?

Jon

PDL
03-03-2009, 08:28 AM
...The way I see it, Ahmed did everybody a favour by removing a drunk driver from the roads permanently.

So you are proposing the death penalty for all drink drivers? A little harsh don't you think.

Biker SAFELY breaks the speed limit - 6 months
LORD and PEER kills a bloke on a motorway - 3 months

BIKER verse LORD (PEER) has the penny dropped yet Paivi?

Paivi
03-03-2009, 08:32 AM
So you are proposing the death penalty for all drink drivers? A little harsh don't you think.
Very poor bait. Must try harder.

PDL
03-03-2009, 10:00 AM
A man crashed into a lamp post while driving at 80mph in a 30mph zone after drinking 12 pints and was banned for two years and ordered to do 150 hours of unpaid work.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7919626.stm

Biker safely speeds and get 6 months.

jerry
03-03-2009, 11:20 AM
My daughter is now 10 ,she has been a passanger on bikes since she was 3 ,in thailand and UK,,she has her own riding gear helmet gloves,jacket etc and can already ride a 125 properly.She has seen dozens off accidents here in thailand ,, and usually comments on the dead people she sees in the road whose brains are splashed all over the street not wearing proper gear or about their stupid actions on the highway.

the onlky time she has been hurt by a motorcyle was when one came through the window of a restaurant in pattaya ridden by 2 drunken thais , she was badly hurt and was only 4 years old but recovered quickly and still loves bike's , as she says you might be safer riding the bike then sitting at home.

In April she and i are taking the M750 to france so bugger the ban it all do gooders.

Scootaboy
03-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Quite funny how this thread has turned out.

1st page = people outraged at the stupidity of this funkwit who drove at ridiculous speeds on a wet road with his barely protected 14 year old baby on the back

2nd page = But other road users do far worse and get away with it - they all hate us!!! He was driving perfectly safely, its pc gone mad/anti bikers etc etc etc

3rd page = cant remember but probably a mix of the two.

:)

Personally I think he was a c*ck who deserved some time. Maybe not as much as he did, but some nevertheless.

Would I take my son on the back when he's old enough? Hell no have you seen me ride?!?! :) (plus far too many idiots out there) but fair play to those who do, as long as the kids are wearing protective gear and you're taking it easy etc

julesbristol
03-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Did anyone else spot the fact that his brake lights were on when he was flashed?

STIVH
03-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Gotta stick a reply on and love the way this thread is going as I personally started on motorbikes in a sidecar at 10 months of age, from 7yrs on my brothers bike who regularly picked me up from school a satchel, cap and shorts for bike gear. I regularly spent many a happy fast hour buzzing up the North Circular and the old A40 at speeds my Mum would of killed him at had she known and all on home built Tritons, BSA's and Nortons and NO helmet and ****e brakes.

My own daughter at 5yrs was on my bike with me and yes we did go over 70mph and on modern bikes 70mph and 130 mph is actually not many seconds apart. She wooped and screamed all the way and pestered and even cried when I rode off with out her so I know she wasn't frightened although I always was. ( now at 18 and since the age of 13 she won't go near it as the helmet ruins her hair!!!!)

If you ride safe, within your limits and those of the road conditions then you and your pillion are safe aswell.

Personally this guy was a prat, He got caught for starters and as for the kid on the back well the parents in our local estates should be put away for six months atleast then as they are happy to let their kids tear up our local streets on their motocross bikes at 40mph plus, without helmets, licences, insurance or decent riding gear (what ever that is).

This folks is gonna be just another nail in the coffin for Motorcycle freedom soon anyone under 18 won't be allowed on the back and this will be an example that the safety freaks will draw upon.

I know it's turning into a rant.....................so I'll stop........but.......

The guys was a prat, yes lose his licence 12 months give him a £1000.00 fine and suspended sentence for 5 years. Jail? it's just a waste of time and money but sounds good for the press.

Duke_Hatty
03-03-2009, 02:13 PM
One thing I noted when I read about this incident is that the camera operator was aleted to is presence by NOISE. Now, I'm assuming he had a loud can on (A fair assumption I think) and that does make me think a bit: More noise=More noticeable=More likely to be caught

PDL
03-03-2009, 02:17 PM
One thing I noted when I read about this incident is that the camera operator was aleted to is presence by NOISE. Now, I'm assuming he had a loud can on (A fair assumption I think) and that does make me think a bit: More noise=More noticeable=More likely to be caught

Less chance of some muppet pulling out on you also.

Chris & Nean
03-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Absolutly criminal, 122 with pillion on a Heyabussa? he aught to have been given another six months at least, even my S2R can go faster than that.