PDA

View Full Version : First Bike Advise.......Please

davkyt
27-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Hi all
I got my first bike last week, a 750 monster, after passing my test in December.
I know nothing about bikes or mechanics.... at all.
The bike I have got seems in really good condition, only covering 5k miles in 13yrs.
I want to make sure that I keep it in good condition....Apart from taking at for a service once every year........what do I need to do myself? Weekly/Monthly/Annually.
Cheers
Dave

mad_turnips
27-02-2009, 03:14 PM
first things first get a haynes manuel

J.P
27-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Well firstly welcome to the club and well done for being brave enough to do your test in December ! Brrrrr.

As for maintenance, do you have the service history of the bike ? You'll need to make sure all those things have been done, especially the belts which need changing every two years regardless.
The rest is just down to looking after what you have. Some neutralizer for the winter to make sure the salt doesn't eat the bike. Keep it clean if you like and just keep an eye on any drips and leaks if they appear.
And don't forget to smile. Once you get the chance throw up some photo's so we can all see your new bike. You're bound to come across other owners and we're a very sociable group.

gremlin
27-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Keep an eye on fluid levels and keep your chain lubed and just enjoy riding. Welcome to the madhouse, we're usually pretty friendly and helpful. If you have any problems just post up I'm sure someone will soon help, we have various degrees of mechanical genius or whatever to keep you on the road!

Catspoon
27-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Not another 750 - that's two this week!

Welcome by the way. And if you have half the fun on yours as I do mine then your friends will think you've gone insane.

Pomp1
27-02-2009, 11:40 PM
hi and welcome, 5k miles in 13 years? poor thing. As J.P. said, belts are the first thing that needs checking and, eventually replacing if are more than 2 years old. For the rest is all pretty straight forward stuff.

Blah blah
28-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Hurrah, another 750 !!!

Belts every 2 years / 12000 miles, change oil and filter and clean oil sump filter every 12 months, check the tyres and chain everytime you use it and enjoy :D oh, and don't worry about the mayo in the sight glass !

mines just passed 11k in 12 years and I thought that was rediculously low...

jimbo696
28-02-2009, 02:59 PM
I do the following....
Check all fluids once a month at least, this is simple just by sight.
Check tyres before I ride, (almost every time), look for nails, tears, damage etc....
Check everything works, horn, indicators, lights, brake lights etc every time I ride.
Lube and check chain every couple of rides... and check chain tension at least once a month.. Clean chain every month or so...

Give everything a good wash and polish after every ride when it has got wet... Or once a week if it is dry...

davkyt
01-03-2009, 07:32 PM
I have uploaded a pic? Why is it not displayed on my profile?
Had a nice ride to Matlock today.....Any other Monster owners in the area at the weekends?
.....Also did my first maintenace.....I lubed the chain, check me out

davkyt
01-03-2009, 07:37 PM
ps....I found out a receipt for new belts for my bike....Oct 2006 and has covered 1k since.........Will she manage throught the summer or do I need to get her to a garage ASAP?

davkyt
01-03-2009, 07:39 PM
....also, I checked the oil, which looks good....I tried to check the clutch & break fluid levels using the little windows on the handle bars ......
They are either full to the top... or completle empty....i cant tell....is there another way to check?

jimbo696
02-03-2009, 08:01 AM
davy,
Opinions vary on belts, 'officially' it is every 2 years or X miles(not sure)... If the bike is ridden regularly the belts tend to last longer.. I personally would risk using it thru summer, but that is my opinion...
Re the reservoirs, you can carefully take the top off and look in there.. be careful not to contaminate the fluid with dust or other particles when you open the res'.

Pomp1
02-03-2009, 10:51 AM
....also, I checked the oil, which looks good....I tried to check the clutch & break fluid levels using the little windows on the handle bars ......
They are either full to the top... or completle empty....i cant tell....is there another way to check?
well, if they fell that there isn't any "bite" or resistance they're empty. but too full is just as bad.

davkyt
02-03-2009, 02:02 PM
cheers, thanks for that

Pedro
02-03-2009, 02:37 PM
davy,
Opinions vary on belts, 'officially' it is every 2 years or X miles(not sure)... If the bike is ridden regularly the belts tend to last longer.. I personally would risk using it thru summer, but that is my opinion...

For the cost of new belts (about £35-40 ish I think) plus fitting, I'd be changing those as they've sat in the same place a long time. Much cheaper to replace the belts than a cylinder head.

davkyt
02-03-2009, 04:13 PM
What do you thionk I should be looking at paying at a garage for new belts?

Pedro
02-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Changing belts is not too difficult if you're reasonable with a set of spanners, takes me about 20 minutes I guess.

However, if you're not confident then I'd let someone with Ducati knowledge do them