PDA

View Full Version : So, I survived at work again,

J.P
23-02-2009, 10:02 AM
I know there are plenty of members of the UKMOC who are finding the job market as bad as we hear about, and I'm no different.
My firm cut 25% of people back in September and they've just cut another 25% of my department last Thursday. How to go from 40 to 15 in no time.

Thank God I'm still one of the dwindling number that are still here....

At least I can still afford to fill up the bikes for some light relief.

mad_turnips
23-02-2009, 10:14 AM
nice one mate hope that lucky streak continues

J.P
23-02-2009, 10:27 AM
So do I, and if it brings the longest streak of dry sunny weather the UK has seen this year, then all the better. I hope you situation works out for you.

PaulEllison
23-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Me and my Wife both worked for Woolworths, she was made redundant in December.
I'm still employed along with around a dozen other people ( out of 27,000... ! ) supporting what is left of the IT Infrastructure until the year end reports have been completed, March 13th is my last day.

Good news is that 2 days before my wife got made redundant, we found out that she was pregnant ! Our first child is expected 24th July !!

Fingers crossed that everybody can find jobs in the future

Paul.

PDL
23-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Hi Ellie congrats.

slob
23-02-2009, 11:24 AM
...My firm cut 25% of people back in September and they've just cut another 25% of my department last Thursday. How to go from 40 to 15 in no time.

Thank God I'm still one of the dwindling number that are still here....

I hope maths skills aren't the selection criteria J.P:

40 -25% = 30

30 -25% = 22.5 (feel sorry for the poor sod who got cut in half)
or
40 -25%x2 = 20

either way you should have more than 15 left!

Gilps
23-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Good news is that 2 days before my wife got made redundant, we found out that she was pregnant ! Our first child is expected 24th July !!

That's great news. I had my first child back in October and they really do put everything in to perspective. I wound my companies up in December and if it hadn't have been for the family I would have proably called it quits and gone off and done something crazy.
Good luck in your job hunting.

J.P
23-02-2009, 12:22 PM
'Reallication of staff' in addition to lots getting the boot.
But my maths is rubbish anyway.

Plum
23-02-2009, 12:22 PM

Fingers crossed that everybody can find jobs in the future

Paul.

Congrats on the impending arrival. So nice to hear such happy news at a time when all you hear is bad news. Sure jobs will come your way, and if not, little'uns are a job in themselves. Mine is 6 now and it still hasnt stopped. She is good though. She wanted to clean my bike at the weekend....so l let her. Even though i had to do it again, it was worth seeing the smile on her face with a bucket, sponge and hose!

JerryXt
23-02-2009, 12:37 PM
'Reallication of staff' in addition to lots getting the boot.
But my maths is rubbish anyway.

...and English!

Difficult times.

J.P
23-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Yes, my spelin is much worserer than my maths.

DavidEJM
23-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Yes, my spelin is much worserer than my maths.

Blimey mate everyone's having a dig aren't they? :chuckle:

It must be your personality that keeps bringing you through.

I'm self employed so I can't get fired or made redundant............ mind you I can't make any money either!

mad_turnips
23-02-2009, 01:10 PM
you looking at taking on more staff dave ;)

J.P
23-02-2009, 01:33 PM
What is it you do again Dave ?

J.P
23-02-2009, 01:39 PM
I've just remembered, you're an Estate Agent. That's as bad as being a stockbroker right now....

DavidEJM
23-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Yeah, all good fun. Getting a few deals together, but getting them to completion is a real pain but sympathy for Estate Agents is always thin on the ground LOL :)

Matt, I'd love to say I am taking staff on, though the reality is that we have paired down to the absolute minimum (and below) in order to keep trading. If I know of anything in the trade, you will be the first to hear of it.

bigredduke
23-02-2009, 07:11 PM
I've just remembered, you're an Estate Agent. That's as bad as being a stockbroker right now....

Given the property market at the moment, perhaps that should be 'in a state agent' sorry!:o