fork tubes as our much beloved Ducatis.:mand:
I've just bought some clipons on ebay for a 750k6 and am not 100%
sure if they will bolt straight on, but they were rather cheap and
I do like the look of them.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190287739696

So any ideas?

Kato
22-02-2009, 01:13 PM
If I'm reading that correctly they have 30mm clamp so the answer is NO they definitely will not fit

MagnaJeep
22-02-2009, 01:32 PM
I know that I need 50mm, and some Gsxrs had that diameter,
but I don't know if this certain k6 model is different to others.

Oh, and the 30mm is the rise, which is perfect as they will go underneath the
top yoke, and I somehow doubt that any motorcycle had so extremely thin forks.
Maybe except the cb500, you could almost bend them with your plain hands :chuckle:.

Another question is if I will have to replace the coffin style brembo cylinders,
maybe someone has done something similiar? :on:

craigie
22-02-2009, 02:51 PM
This site seems to know and it seems right

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Race-Clip-On-bars-50-mm-Free-Post-GSXR750-1000-ZX6-10R_W0QQitemZ270251438629QQihZ017QQcategoryZ25626Q QcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Why would you need to change the mastercylinder? If you did I have just listed one from 916/748 that I never got round to using.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=300295728328

I had a 620 and loved it when I put clip ons on, hope you have as much fun as I did.

johnsy
22-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Hi, i bought gsxr clip ons, you'll need to remove the locating peg on the starter switch as it doesn't line up. The only problem i'm having is the rerouting of the cables, the headlight fouls the throttle.

Kato
22-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Ahh OK must do better at German lessons

MagnaJeep
22-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Ahh OK must do better at German lessons

I can help you out in this case.
I went through 12 years of school in Austria so that should be no problem at all.
You can start here, very instructive and should help a lot: :chuckle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAaaAVJr9zg

Craigie, that was the info I was searching for, thanks for that. :thumbsup:

As for the reservoirs, I've heard that there might be problems fitting the brake
and clutch pump as there will be less space left on the handlebar due to the clamps.

Does anyone have pictures of his or her clip-on combination?

Your brake pump is linked to my favourites, I'll have to change that for several reasons,
but I better not tell, because squiffy might hits me via internet :twak: :on:.

Johnsy
Thanks for that information
The handlebars will be adapted, but I have to wait till everything is here, cause
the headlight will be lowered as well (most important mod on the list) and I have no clue how much space will be left then.

craigie
22-02-2009, 06:07 PM
As for the reservoirs, I've heard that there might be problems fitting the brake
and clutch pump as there will be less space left on the handlebar due to the clamps.

Does anyone have pictures of his or her clip-on combination?

I don't have any pics but when I put clip-ons on my monster there were no problems with space, only the lines going round/through the bikini fairing which I took off after a while anyway. Should all be okay.

squiffything
23-02-2009, 07:00 AM
Oooo I like the sound of what you are doing. A monster is still a monster whatever you do to change the look. The lowered cafe racer style look is one of my faves. Marcus' old bike was (I thought) one of the nicest looking Monnies on here. Keep up the good work and don't forget we all love a how it's coming along thread both to show us what you're doing and to help others who may have thought about doing similar.

MagnaJeep
23-02-2009, 09:39 AM
I didn't want to tell, but I've somehow parked the Monster four months ago
into the passenger door of a passat who was in a hurry and run a red light. :thumbsdown:

Luckily there where about two dozen witnesses who could prove that I didn't
do anything wrong after seeing my very entertaining stunt.

And now that the insurance has payed me off, I have to restore the Monster
and I will take advantage of the situation and change a few things I have planned before
but wasn't able to do for emotional reasons.

Now a few pics as many of you tend to boycott threads without them:

http://up.picr.de/1892564.jpg

(A motorcycle of a former UKmoc admin is also on the picture)

http://up.picr.de/1892563.jpg

The headlight lowering in progress:

http://up.picr.de/1892566.jpg

And the reason for changing the braking system on the front
(twin disc setup mod will replace that, it somehow looks better):

http://up.picr.de/1892565.jpg

Almost new front forks bought on ebay, but as I'm quite satisfied with
the non-adjustables they will be replaced with these:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Ducati-Sport-1000-S-Paul-Smart-Gabel-NEU_W0QQitemZ200307835549QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorr ad_Kraftradteile?hash=item200307835549&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1229|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

I want to reroute the wiring as well, some of you have done this mod, so
any help is greatly appreciated.

The Monster will be painted gloss black with the offset white stripe, which
makes the Monster, according to many owners, look a lot faster :D

And the DP Gel Seat is ordered from a local dealer, a must have!

squiffything
23-02-2009, 10:17 AM
AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!! Oh no that is such bad luck. I'm sorry that it happened but you are ok and the bike can and will be rebuilt. Good luck with the mods. Just one thing though have you had the frame etc checked over to make sure its all straight?

MagnaJeep
23-02-2009, 10:37 AM
The insurance expert who has looked the bike over said that there is almost no chance
that the frame has sustained damage, even the forks are not bent at all,
but they are scratched and that is the main reason to change them.

Sadly the top yoke has been split in half which could mean damage to the tube
that holds the yokes (how's that called again?), so I will consult someone who is able to check the geometry,
but being able to brake a few meters, the impact wasn't too strong and I'm not very concerned.

Has someone on here ever put the old style double-line tank decals on their Monster,
I don't know how it looks like but I tend to repace the oem ones, If yes pics please.

MagnaJeep
30-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Today I have disassembled both the front fork legs of the Monster,
the OEM ones with the hex nut on top and the new fork legs of the Sport Classic which I have bought to replace the scratched OEM ones. Opened both and surprise,
the springs are different.
Here's my question:

Is it normal that OEM Marzocchi's of a Monster 620 Dark have progressive springs?
Squiffy, did you change them?

According to the parts catalogue there should be normal springs inside, the Sport Classic
does have bog standard springs, but not my OEM Monster tubes.
I really don't have a clue what is what now, I tend to put the progressive springs in the Sport Classic tubes as they felt more precise than the 750 Monster with standard forks.

Can anyone help me out?
Reason for disassembly is anodizing the tubes.

Kind regards :thumbsup:

Dookbob
30-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Today I have disassembled both the front fork legs of the Monster,
the OEM ones with the hex nut on top and the new fork legs of the Sport Classic which I have bought to replace the scratched OEM ones. Opened both and surprise,
the springs are different.
Here's my question:

Is it normal that OEM Marzocchi's of a Monster 620 Dark have progressive springs?
Squiffy, did you change them
According to the parts catalogue there should be normal springs inside, the Sport Classic
does have bog standard springs, but not my OEM Monster tubes.
I really don't have a clue what is what now, I tend to put the progressive springs in the Sport Classic tubes as they felt more precise than the 750 Monster with standard forks.

Can anyone help me out?
Reason for disassembly is anodizing the tubes.

Kind regards :thumbsup:

I recently changed the forks on my 2002 620sie. I stripped the OEM ones in order to make a device for removing the fork bottoms, so I obviously had a good look at the internals. How do you know by just looking at them if they are progressive or not, my springs had tighter coils towards the top if that is anything to go by.

squiffything
31-03-2009, 07:26 AM
I didn't do any changes to the forks and I don't think the guy before me did but as you know when it comes to technical stuff I know nothing. Good luck with the rebuild.

MagnaJeep
31-03-2009, 09:09 AM
I recently changed the forks on my 2002 620sie. I stripped the OEM ones in order to make a device for removing the fork bottoms, so I obviously had a good look at the internals. How do you know by just looking at them if they are progressive or not, my springs had tighter coils towards the top if that is anything to go by.

I thought that tighter coils towards the top mean that the springs are progressive,
but I really don't have a clue. :confused:
I also don't know if it's better to use the Monster Dark springs or the Sport Classic springs.
Could someone explain to me pros and cons of progressive and linear springs in motorcycle suspensions, I'm lost now.

Luckily I don't have to struggle with the fork bottoms, I can imagine that it is a lot of work.

Having seen a thread of the disassembly of some Marzocchi forks, the Monster Dark
has progressive springs originally mounted, or at least on a few bikes.

Thanks Squiffy, the rebuild is going on well, but the more I disassemble the more things I want to change. Now that everything is apart, anodizing the fork tubes is an opportunity,
although the weather is fine now and I would like to get the Monster on the road.

Dookbob
31-03-2009, 10:53 AM
actually, now that I have the tool, changing the fork bottoms are a breeze.