PDA

View Full Version : Removing front wheel.

Space Cadet
18-02-2009, 02:27 PM
(Had a search for a similar post but couldn’t find one)

Just had a thought, I’m planning on fitting my new discs & pads at the weekend and obviously knew I had to take the wheel off. It looks fairly simple to do, i.e. there are the 4 fork clamp bolts and the large axle nut, but when I’ve undone these how do I actually get the wheel out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I make a mess of things.

Thanks.

Gilps
18-02-2009, 02:32 PM
I fid it easiest to undo the calipers with the wheel on the ground. Then loosen the front wheel nut with the pinch bolts still tight. The loosen the pinch bolts. Then lift the front wheel and remove the spindle, watching how the speedo drive fits. I only tighten the nuts back up properly when the wheel is back on the ground for stability.

Space Cadet
18-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks, much appreciated.

(By the way, should have mentioned I have a 2005 620 if that makes any difference as the speedo runs off a sensor on the rear disc.)

Why do I need to remove the calliper?

Presume the spindle is held in place by the large nut on the left hand side and it slots in from the right hand side, so when the spindle is pushed all the way through the wheel drops down, so how is the wheel actually attached to the spindle and what’s to stop it moving around on the spindle?

Pomp1
18-02-2009, 03:24 PM
the spindle itself is "spaced" on the hex end, drive it all the way in and it'll set the wheel right. As mentioned leave the pinch bolts on on the treaded side so the spindle won't just turn and turn..removing the calipers is a bit of a fiddly job, they need to go in at an angle and then straightened. This is also a good excuse to grease up bearings and so on.

Space Cadet
18-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks, it’s all making sense now.

The question was why do I need to remove the calliper? - as Gilps had mentioned it, I’m not looking to remove them if I don’t need to.

Pomp1
18-02-2009, 03:32 PM
on mine you need to remove the calipers as very first thing,the wheel won't clear them otherwise.remove them with the wheel on and on firm ground, should be a 7 allen..

Space Cadet
18-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Just assumed the discs would slot in and out of the callipers when I took the wheel off on back on. It’s not a problem to take them off though and that’s the kind of tips I was looking for so thanks very much.

Nickj
18-02-2009, 03:56 PM
so how is the wheel actually attached to the spindle and what’s to stop it moving around on the spindle?

Luckily it's not attached and is free to move around the spindle else the wheel wouldn't rotate harharhar!!

The calipers are sods to get off with the wheel in, if you don't want to shift the wheel you'll need to undo the disc itself to get some free space, else drop the pads out first

rockjock620
18-02-2009, 04:07 PM
As in all the good books - replacement is a reversal of the removal procedure. But it's not difficult to get out either.

Space Cadet
18-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Ha ha, very funny, needless to say I realised that and was referring to it moving side to side on the spindle.

Ok, thanks, looks like for the sake of undoing the four bolts it will be easier to take the wheel out with the callipers removed, this way I’ll be able to give them a good clean and fit the new pads at the same time.

Gilps
18-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Undo the caliper bolts then push the calipers onto the disc on either side, this will push that pads and pistons back in to the calipers. I actually slide them off the discs slightly then pull and then push the caliper side to side if that makes sense.
I suppose it is possible to remove the wheel with the calipers still on but it would be rather fiddly trying to lift the wheel with your foot, getting the discs in between both sets of pads either side, whilst trying to get the spindle in.
..and obviously don't touch the brake lever with the wheel out!!

slob
18-02-2009, 04:35 PM
I have a couple of bits old wire coat-hanger with a hook bent into each end, in my toolbox. I use them to hang the calipers from once removed. Hooked onto the frame trellis, it keeps them out of the way and stops them hanging on the hoses/fittings.

Space Cadet
18-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the great advice, it all makes sense and hopefully everything will go smoothly.