PDA

View Full Version : End caps on alloy swing-arm 620.

Space Cadet
17-02-2009, 09:24 AM
My end caps on my 620 Capirex look a bit manky; they appear to have been painted at some point and the paint it pealing off (both like the engine!!).

The swing-arm is made of aluminium and the caps possibly look to be made out of the same material.

Rather than spending £12 each on some new ones or even bothering to re-paint my old ones, is there anything to stop me just sanding and polishing my old ones?

Has anyone else done this? or are they perhaps not aluminium and do need to be painted?

Thanks.

Pomp1
17-02-2009, 09:37 AM
aluminium is easily recognized by color and weight, anyway, if they are why not sand,polish and lacquer? you will need tho "key" the aluminium before laquering with something like 1200 grit ,will go dull at first but the laquer will bring the shine back

Space Cadet
17-02-2009, 10:40 AM
I will take them off tonight and give them a clean up, if they’re alloy then a polish, if steel then a paint.

Dookbob
17-02-2009, 11:24 AM
They are ally

Nickj
17-02-2009, 10:14 PM
You could do the same to steel ones, Shame they don't use the brass(?) of the old Monster/SS's, they used to shine up a real treat.

Space Cadet
18-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Took them off last night, striped the paint off with paint-stripper and spent ages cleaning them up and sanding them down. Will finish off tonight, not sure if the effort involved is worth the saved £24 but the end result will be worth it.

If I am to lacquer them, is there a particular lacquer for spraying direct onto the bare alloy?

Dookbob
18-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Any clear laquer, celulose or acrylic will do, Halfords.

Pomp1
18-02-2009, 09:19 AM
As said in other posts I use Montana Gold cans, but I'm lucky enough to have a dealer near me, as you can only get them on the net but I know there's a couple of places in London that sell them.If you go for them you want the code T1000 for glossy laquer. But I suppose almost any laquer will do, I use them as I also use the Montana colors, and I'm sure to avoid any nasty reaction between different brands (bubbling/streaking)

Pomp1
18-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Any clear laquer, celulose or acrylic will do, Halfords.

nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!:on: stay away from halfords!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :on:;)

Space Cadet
18-02-2009, 09:26 AM
I agree Halford’s cans are not the best, but they will be fine just to do the fairly small ends-pieces. Anything will look better than they did before.