PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Trackdays

ladybird
17-02-2009, 06:58 AM
Just a couple of questions in preparation for August :)
I'm sure I'll think of some more...

Insurance - need any, if so where from?

Boots - ankle or do they have to be knee high?

Bike - what needs to come off, or is advisable to remove lest it remove itself?

slob
17-02-2009, 07:56 AM
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=11583&highlight=trackday+insurance

Most will wear proper bike boots but military style ankle boots are acceptable to most organisers, best check with J.P in case Rapid's specs are different.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=17911&highlight=trackday+questions

ladybird
17-02-2009, 08:09 AM
That'll learn me not to look harder first thing in the morning :)
Thank you :)

jimbo696
17-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Do you have to lock wire anything(e.g. sump plug) before a TD??

slob
17-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Not required to lockwire stuff, but you will get flagged if you have bits leaking or stuff hanging off the bike.

ladybird
17-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Fur is going to have to come off then ...

J.P
17-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Basically you can do what you like for the trackday. The bike, for Rapid Training, has simply to be in good mechanical order, with everything secure and solid. No bits to drop off, no oil leaks, loose chains etc. You can find most of the notes on my document or you can find the details on www.rapidtraining.co.uk under the trackday section.

If you want to make any other alterations it's purely down to you.
I generally just turn up, get noise tested, take 2 pounds of air out of the tyres, then go and have a cup of tea till kick off. I don't bother taking much off, I don't bother taping up mirrors or indicators. There's no rule saying you have to do any of that, it's just up to you.

jimbo696
17-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks JP... I must start looking for a Brands TD, or one at Lydden....

slob
17-02-2009, 09:22 AM
I would definitely tape over the speedo, you don't want to be looking at the clocks thinking blimey I'm doing 110 and then realise you've just missed your braking point.
Removing mirrors, or at least turning them in, will stop you from being distracted by what's behind you.

Jimbo, Lydden is fantastic on a small bike like a 600(ish) monster.

singletrack
17-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Ladybird, I did my first ( and only so far) track day with UKMOC a couple of years ago.
I took my mirrors off ( did't want to break them if I bumped it, and they aren't needed anyway.)
Taped the speedo ( per Slob's post) and lowered the pressure in my tyres.
that was it. - easy!
Make sure your helmet has a gold sticker and your leathers zip almost all the way round at least.
If you want to give another easy track day a go before August some (girl) friends and I are going to do a couple - we are slow and steady.

Anne

J.P
17-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Slow and steady is best to start with. Then fast and frantic will follow soon afterwards.

J.P
17-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks JP... I must start looking for a Brands TD, or one at Lydden....

Jim keep an eye out for the Hottrax or No Limits days, or Rapid Training do Brands Hatch too.
Scrapps and Gadjet are looking at a few and I think my only chance for Brands this year will be September 14th when Hottrax are doing the full GP circuit.

jimbo696
17-02-2009, 10:13 AM
JP, thanks, I will check those out..

Mand
17-02-2009, 01:05 PM
A big cheesy grin under your helmet is also compulsory. :p

jimbo696
17-02-2009, 01:08 PM
It's the puckering of the other orifice I am worried about!!!!:worried:

Mand
17-02-2009, 01:09 PM
It's the puckering of the other orifice I am worried about!!!!:worried:

I suggest you wear big pants then!

jimbo696
17-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Never mind big, I will need rubber ones...

Mand
17-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Never mind big, I will need rubber ones....

I believe certain members of this forum (not mentioning any names) may be able to point in the right direction... there a kinky bunch :biggrin:

jimbo696
17-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Go on, name the 'dirty' beasts....

Mand
17-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Go on, name the 'dirty' beasts....

Certainly not! I have signed the official UKMOC secrets act! :flamed:

gary tompkins
17-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Certainly not! I have signed the official UKMOC secrets act! :flamed:

Yeah right :rolleyes:

I took mirrors off & taped headlamp & indicators. Taped over speedo and took a few psi out of both tyres. Made sure bike was in good fettle (oil/chain/tyres nothing loose etc), and had enough petrol to last the full day - no fill ups at Mallory.

Make sure you drink lots or you'll dehydrate and tire more quickly

Oh.. and if your going to crash make sure someone's trackside with a digicam ;)

johnsy
17-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Basically you can do what you like for the trackday. The bike, for Rapid Training, has simply to be in good mechanical order, with everything secure and solid. No bits to drop off, no oil leaks, loose chains etc. You can find most of the notes on my document or you can find the details on www.rapidtraining.co.uk under the trackday section.

If you want to make any other alterations it's purely down to you.
I generally just turn up, get noise tested, take 2 pounds of air out of the tyres, then go and have a cup of tea till kick off. I don't bother taking much off, I don't bother taping up mirrors or indicators. There's no rule saying you have to do any of that, it's just up to you.

Err 2lb out of your tyres, i was letting 10lbs out :on: was i being a bit optamistic :drunk:

pegboy
18-02-2009, 04:05 AM
How strict are they on the zip around on two peice bike gear. Mine only has the zip at the back?

J.P
18-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Pegboy you'd need to check with them but I'm pretty sure it has to be a FULL zip around.
(Though I've never been checked by them)

Mand
18-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Pegboy you'd need to check with them but I'm pretty sure it has to be a FULL zip around.
(Though I've never been checked by them)

I know you are using a different company but I have been checked by No Limits every time I have done a track day.

J.P
18-02-2009, 09:03 AM
You're right Mand, I guess they have a sneaky look at me while I'm not looking.

MonstaChicky
01-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Which days are you doing singletrack?...not that I think I'm quite ready for it yet...going to do a Ron Haslam day first to give my confidence a boost :)