PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for fitting new discs and pads?

Space Cadet
16-02-2009, 11:10 AM
I’m fitting some new discs and pads at the weekend, it all looks fairly simple to do as the discs just unbolt off and the new ones bolt on and from what I can tell the pads come out once the retaining pins are removed, but is there anything I should or shouldn’t do, or any tips?

Thanks.

Stafford
16-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Just a good clean and some Copaslip on the rear of the pads, unless you spot anything else awry. You could replace the fluid whilst you're there as well.

Space Cadet
16-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks.

The bike is having a full service soon and was going to have the fluids changed then possibly with some new shiny hoses. Looks like it would be a pain to do myself?

PDL
16-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Pads - clean the pistons.

The pistons get covered in hard baked brake dusts, so remove the pads and pop the pistons out as far as you dare but not too far as they will fall out. Clean the crud off the pistons, apply pink brake grease and you should be able to push them back in with your fingers (take the top of the fluid res off) then fit your pads.

If you don't clean the pistons then with new pads the crud will sit behind the rubber o ring and the pistons will eventually start to bind and not work as well. This is why people think the back brakes are rubbish on the 916 range of bikes, they aren't rubbish they just need cleaning often.

Something like this BRAKE OVERHAUL (http://www.guzzitech.dk/05/05-13/05-13_e.htm) but you don't have to pull them apart to clean them just be careful how far you pop the pistons out.

Space Cadet
16-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks, much appreciated.