PDA

View Full Version : Misty speedo and rev-counter.

Space Cadet
16-02-2009, 08:15 AM
For the last 2 or 3 rides now both my speedo and rev-counter have been misted up. I only ride once a week and the 1st time it happened I assumed it was because of the cold. It’s now happened each time since. I haven’t washed the bike in between so I don’t think I’ve got water in there unless it’s still in there from a previous time?.

Any ideas? Will it just sort itself out?

Thanks.

slob
16-02-2009, 08:27 AM
It will sort itself out eventually, I've never found a satisfactory solution, despite having clocks changed under warranty and subsequently trying disassembly and reassmembly with silicone grease on the rubber seals.

jimbo696
16-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Mine misted up recently, but seems to have gone now, so I assume yours will too... but I did get caught in heavy rain...

Space Cadet
16-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks.

Oh well, at least it’s not a one-off, guess some warmer weather will dry them out.

Pomp1
16-02-2009, 09:45 AM
I've read somewhere that clocks have a very tiny hole with a membrane to let them "breathe".

slob
16-02-2009, 09:56 AM
If only they'd breathe out not in!
The later ones ('04 on?) have some sort of valve on the back, '02/'03 ones certainly don't.
It worries me seeing the mist, given that part of immobiliser circuit is in there.

Nickj
16-02-2009, 09:32 PM
you could pull the casings apart then reseal all the joints and seals with some silicon. Maybe even a little sachet of silica gel or if your really cheap a small bag with some cement in it does the same job.

Space Cadet
17-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks guys, mines definitely a 04 onwards so will have a look for the valve.

Is it easy to pull the casings apart?

bazza
20-02-2009, 06:07 PM
This was covered very well by Darry in 2006 in this forum.

Not sure how to find it but when I was directed it had the following address:-

» .: Technical :. » Electrics » Taking Clocks apart, Piece of P1ss!

Stafford
21-02-2009, 06:34 AM
You could try popping a couple of packs of Silica Gel in the bottom of each clock and see if that helps. I did try on my S4 but I sold it shortly after so never got to see if it worked.

Space Cadet
22-02-2009, 07:01 AM
This was covered very well by Darry in 2006 in this forum.

Not sure how to find it but when I was directed it had the following address:-

» .: Technical :. » Electrics » Taking Clocks apart, Piece of P1ss!

Found the thread, really useful, thanks.

PC Myers
23-02-2009, 11:19 AM
If the clocks are sealed completely you need to be sure that they are sealed with dry air inside. Silica gel will absorb water vapour but then release it again when it warms up - this is why it's no good in double glazing panels. In general ventilation is the best cure for condensation - a tiny hole will allow moist air in but won't allow enough air movement to dry it out quickly. My Aprilia clocks get a bit misty sometimes but always clear eventually (since the whole thing has the same built-in will to corrode as my Monster, I'm sure it will all rot from the inside eventually...)