PDA

View Full Version : cleaning

julesbristol
14-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Anyone know a mobile motorbike valet in the south west? or anywhere that offers this service? Ta J

emily's driver
14-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Anyone know a mobile motorbike valet in the south west? or anywhere that offers this service? Ta J

Well I have been asked on countless occasions if I would entertain the idea but it would have to be a case of you bring the bike to me as opposed to the alternative. Then there is the question of what is a fair price to charge and just how clean you want it to be.

A simple wash dry and wax
All the above but with some detailing involved
All the above but with comprehensive detailing
All the above but with some disassembly involved - Spotless

None of the above take into account any existing corrosion or damage to painted surfaces and components, which have resulted through the owners use of the machine or accidental damage. Attending to any such items would constitute a restoration and that is a completely different scenario

Each dictates a different approach and more time.

julesbristol
14-02-2009, 05:06 PM
how much for each? thanks for the detailed reponse J

emily's driver
14-02-2009, 05:46 PM
how much for each? thanks for the detailed reponse J

TBH I have never really sat down and worked out a price but a lot would depend on how long the job took as I am nothing if meticulous about things and of course how much you were willing to spend. It also depends on the state of an individual's bike at the outset, as naturally there would be more work involved were it in a poor, neglected or filthy condition, to get it up to a specific standard required.

Providing the bike exhibited no signs of damage, scratches, corrosion or wear, all of which cleaning alone would not eradicate, then at the extreme, to bring it back to better than showroom condition and to what I would class as flawless (taking into account any existing visible defects) would take at least a day or two, if you really want to attend to every single detail on the bike. That would constitute, going by our own bikes, anything between 15-20 hours of pure elbow grease, plus the cost of materials used such as bike specific detergents, lubricants, degreasers, preservatives, polishes, wax and cleaning cloths.

As I said many have asked me (mostly in jest) if I would clean their bikes, but were anyone actually serious, then it would have to be worth my while as I dont like doing things by halves, so it won't exactly be exorbitant but neither would it be cheap, if you were truly after an immaculate end result. Factor in your costs to transport or ride the bike to and from this location and then if it still appeals, PM me for some prices. I am not sure I would plan or wish to offer this as a service to all as it is a lot easier working on bikes I enjoy and am familiar with (ie purely Ducatis).

Snips
14-02-2009, 07:58 PM
The guys in Tesco's car-park will clean my car for £7, and my bike's a lot smaller, so presumably the cost would be somewhere sub-£7?

;)

(seriously, I've seen Rod's work (assuming Nonnie doesn't clean her own bike), and I've no doubt he'd be thorough, and offer value for anyone who appreciates detail)

slob
14-02-2009, 09:03 PM
...like I'd let some scrote in Tesco's car park touch my bike!

Cleaning my bike weekly is essential routine maintenance, it's not neccesarily about how clean it gets, it's about checking the whole machine over.
I bet the folks that post things like 'Where can I get a new silencer? mine fell off on the M4 this morning.' would have noticed stuff coming loose if they stopped to clean the machine once in a while.

Nickj
14-02-2009, 09:31 PM
I can sell you a bucket and sponge jules :thumbsup:

pike
14-02-2009, 09:45 PM
...like I'd let some scrote in Tesco's car park touch my bike!

Cleaning my bike weekly is essential routine maintenance, it's not neccesarily about how clean it gets, it's about checking the whole machine over.
I bet the folks that post things like 'Where can I get a new silencer? mine fell off on the M4 this morning.' would have noticed stuff coming loose if they stopped to clean the machine once in a while.

Totally agree with you on this one:thumbsup:

emily's driver
14-02-2009, 10:04 PM
The guys in Tesco's car-park will clean my car for £7, and my bike's a lot smaller, so presumably the cost would be somewhere sub-£7?

;)

(seriously, I've seen Rod's work (assuming Nonnie doesn't clean her own bike), and I've no doubt he'd be thorough, and offer value for anyone who appreciates detail)

Snips you're too kind. In all seriousness, I can't imagine it would be worth anyone's while in reality, to take me up on such an offer as I know I would not be able to help myself getting carried away and end up cleaning the bike beyond belief, since I just can't do a job half heartedly and usually only stop when I can walk away, happy with the end result, which for me means nothing less than taking it to the enth degree and that takes time...lots of it.

When I sold my 748SPS with over 9000 miles on it, a few years back, the buyer asked me if the mileage was genuine, as he said it looked as if the bike had never been used, so I suppose that is a measure of how well it was looked after.

If someone was willing to recompense me for lavishing the same attention to detail on their own bike, then you know how to get hold of me. Call it OCD or whatever you like, I was born (or cursed whichever you prefer) with a fastidious streak in me and I make no excuses for it. To anyone else, (and this applies to many things not just bikes) what I see as acceptable and what they do are simply poles apart, which in essence makes me either a fussy sod or a lot more meticulous than most. For me detail is everything and if you skip the small things it just adds up to a half arsed job and / or an oversight IMHO.

I have no doubt the dissenters on here will cite the case that time would be better spent riding the bike than cleaning it, which is probably true. but I get just as much satisfaction knowing that when I do ride a bike, it nearly always looks the very best it can be when I venture out, and if you cannot take pride in your work and derive any enjoyment from it, then what is the point?

Pomp1
15-02-2009, 12:19 AM
I found that cleaning it is a bit of a hard work (2-3 hours) but keeping it clean is relatively easy (maybe 20 mins). plus you can keep an eye on the condition and status of your creature. Also helps a bit disassembling parts to do all the "uncomfortable" jobs but also get the chance to grease up and lube components, which is always good. I wouldn't let anyone touching my motors after a a garage ruined the roof on my '67 Cooper S and costed me 300 quid to put it right as they wouldn't admit responsibility. And, as ED said, the pleasure of walking away knowing that she's perfect, well that's just enough to me. IMO buy a bucket, sponge, get an old toothbrush and some rugs,a can of WD40, some diesel and some bearing grease, you should spend less than a small valeting service (whatever that means). One word of advice: expensive products they almost never work.

Starter Sprag
15-02-2009, 08:05 AM
. IMO buy a bucket, sponge, get an old toothbrush and some rugs,a can of WD40, some diesel and some bearing grease, you should spend less than a small valeting service (whatever that means). One word of advice: expensive products they almost never work

And a bottle of Stardrops......... and plenty of elbow grease

julesbristol
15-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks guys. Never thought such a boring topic could illicit such an interesting thread! My problem, which i should have explained, is that i haven't got a garage or any space. I can only use the side of a road. I've done the bucket and soap thing but wanted to get all of the winter cr*p off it properly.

geeman
17-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Providing the bike exhibited no signs of damage, scratches, corrosion or wear, all of which cleaning alone would not eradicate, then at the extreme, to bring it back to better than showroom condition and to what I would class as flawless (taking into account any existing visible defects) would take at least a day or two, if you really want to attend to every single detail on the bike. That would constitute, going by our own bikes, anything between 15-20 hours of pure elbow grease, plus the cost of materials used such as bike specific detergents, lubricants, degreasers, preservatives, polishes, wax and cleaning cloths.

Emily's driver

Would you mind sharing some of your cleaning techniques?

I like to keep my bike in excellent condition but I'd be happier if it was in "better than showroom condition" and I'd be happy to spend 15-20 hrs of pure elbow grease, probably spend around 2hours cleaning at mo. Any directions you could give will be appreiciated.

What type of detergents, lubricants, degreasers, preservatives, polishes, wax etc do you use?

How far would you go with disassembling? I know my sprockets and chain could do with a good clean, is it best to remove these, whats best type of chain lube to minimize amount of gunk that gets thrown off?

slob
17-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Profi Dry-Lube, but you'll need to get all the old oil and muck off the chain first.

I also usually spend a couple of hours, with a bucket of water and cheap car shampoo,
with a clean sponge, a not so clean sponge and a variety of drying cloths.
also brake cleaner, WD40 ...and good old Mr Sheen for the paintwork.
I wouldn't say my bikes look better than showroom but they generally look clean and well cared for
unless it's been pissing down all week.

NattyBoy
17-02-2009, 06:21 PM
I Used to do a bit of this a number of years ago after a guy asked me to get his scruffy 900ss ready for sale. (like Rod I am one of the breed who actually enjoys cleaning !)...I charged £40 back then for a good clean and detail which consituted nearly half a days work by the time panels were removed etc on some bikes.

dam
17-02-2009, 06:23 PM
I was once quoted £50 from Ducati Glasgow