PDA

View Full Version : LED tail light

Seb_uk
14-02-2009, 01:51 PM
I've just fitted an LED tail light with integrated indicators from Ducati mondo which looks pretty damn good.

Most of the wiring was fairly straight forward - bullet connectors for the three wires coming out of the main light. Have connected these up with insulating tape temporarily until I can get the right size connectors to fit on the existing wiring.

The only thing that was a bit odd was the wires for the indicators. On the LED unit there is only one wire for each indicator, but on the OE Ducati indicators there are two wires for each indicator.....

I have wired up the LED indies to one wire on each side (the second wire appears to do nothing, so have cut connector off and taped up). All appears to be working fine, but am I missing something?

Nickj
14-02-2009, 02:25 PM
The difference in the wiring is because it's using a common earth for the led circuit board. The bulbs would have had one power and one earth each and the main tail lamp again one earth and two power feeds.
It works therefore you have done it right Seb.

It's worth checking the wires of the circuit board to make sure they are tethered in, either an extra bit of hot glue or araldite. The light unit vibrates, well what a surprise!!, and if the soldered end of the wire isn't really secure it can stress fracture. Took mine 10K to do that but *5mins to fix) could be less if the wires are tight though.

Seb_uk
14-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Excellent - electrics aren't normally one of my strong points..!

Still, at least I know now what each wire is for sure. Snipped of and taped the original number plate wire too as the LED unit as a strip at the bottom that illuminates the plate.

Not the most professional of installations, but fully functional. :)