PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick question (",)

Hypermonkey
13-02-2009, 05:41 PM
The sight glass on my M600 is a little cloudy due to not getting it out for longer runs recently. I've searched and read it's only condensation and is ok...but a chap at work says it's best to do an oil and filter change but couldn't say why...just what he'd heard.

My questions to you all are these...

is it really ok or should I change the oil and filtlter?

Secondly the oil in the bike is Rock Oil synthesis 4 15/50 fully synthetic. Should I use this again or go for the Motul 10/40 semi synthetic that everyone appears to say is the best for the monster....and will it do any damage going from full to semi synthetic.

Cheers in advance

Simon.

pike
13-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Don't know re best oil..have always used Shell Advance in mine but if you're at all unsure do an oil, oil filter and filter gauze change/clen. Won't do any harm eh?

BluprintZ
13-02-2009, 07:05 PM
I wouldn't worry too much, that was the first thing i noticed when i bought my 900 last April.
First thing i did was an oil (full synth) / filter(s) change and replaced the cam-belts.
Within a week, the level glass was covered again, so ignored it and hammered the bike around the Isle of man, no probs!

G. :thumbsup:

dunlop0_1
13-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Sight glass is normal i would say for this time of year. Always semi 10/40 for me, almost 20,000 miles now with now probs at all. £10 a tub cheaper than fully to.

Hypermonkey
13-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Cheers for the replies. Bike had full service with belts in October last year (1400 miles ago) so won't do another service just yet.

Is there any known problems going from Fully Synth to Semi Synth?? I want to do regular oil changes but the fully is £40 a tub where semi is £20 so you can see changes every 3k can be expensive on the fully synth.

I'm mainly concerned with how the engine will run. A garage changed my car oil from semi to full and I had all sorts of problems with the valve stem seals and tappets.....I don't wan't any issues with the bike by changing so input on this most welcome :idea:

Nickj
13-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Full synthetic is best in the motors with dry clutches and high performance engines, probably not worth the money for most bikes. Semi synth is good with wet clutches and more than adequate after all most of us change it at much lower intervals than ducati schedule.

lcjohnny
15-02-2009, 02:12 PM
The oil studies that I have read indicate that semi synth is just that a mix of mineral oil and synth so the mineral oil element can still be the weakeest link.

So the choice is really synth or mineral

Apparently synth resists the effect of combustion acids more than mineral and between uses it is less likely to drip off surfaces not submerged in oil: like gears, cams and rockers.

So considering the big pistons and the rocker pad wear that some people have had & considering that there is no point in having desmo below 8000 rpm :mand: - it is synth for me:pedro: