PDA

View Full Version : yet another tail chop thread

pfcdaz
13-02-2009, 04:38 PM
right then....i have taken off my stock rear light and replaced it with an LED rear light with integrated indicators from ducatimondo on ebay, excellent service btw...

next stage over the half term week is to chop the tail, however i have noticed to my annoyance that there is no obvious chopping point on my old m600. see below

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/pfcdaz/bike%20mods/IMG_0012.jpg

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/pfcdaz/bike%20mods/IMG_0013.jpg

from people who have done this before, where is the best place to cut, i am thinking about a cm into the triangular piece of metal that the seat lock is set into, but want some advice before i proceed.

many thanks

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/pfcdaz/bike%20mods/IMG_0014.jpg

pfcdaz
13-02-2009, 04:39 PM
bizarrely, on photobucket the pictures show as being the right way up and cropped a little.

poxy technology!!!

pfcdaz
13-02-2009, 04:40 PM
a problem which has corrected itself after doing a ctrl+f5....whoops

Hypermonkey
13-02-2009, 04:48 PM
I've got a 2000 Dark M600 with a chop by the previous owner. It's had the key fully removed by grinding the welds down (Not a good job but I'm tidying it up in March) and the chop itself is about 10mm past the bit in your pic where the light is.

The catch mechanism to lift the seat is now just a cable tie nicely hidden so only I know it's there....well me and now whoever reads this :)

Paranoid Dave
13-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Just behind the cross brace is normal so you end up with two little stumps. Harder on the old models because of the cable as you can see, i did manage to free the cable on mine and loop it round under the seat so it still worked but its not worth the bother, chop it and make a pull chord.

pfcdaz
13-02-2009, 04:54 PM
thats pretty much where i was thinking, annoyingly i bought a cool £2.99 spinny pipe cutter tooly thing, that i now will not be able to use.

Hypermonkey
13-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Just make sure that you coat the chopped area with clear rust preventer before painting over :thumbsup:

Nickj
14-02-2009, 01:13 AM
You might want the light the other way round ... LOL remember to cut behind with it that way round not infront!!

geeman
14-02-2009, 01:32 PM
pfcdaz on my old M750 I cut about 1cm into the triangle section that holds the seat lock if you do a search on my username look for a the tail chop thread and you'll see a couple of pics, remember to wrap insulation tape around frame where you are going to cut (helps to stop paint flaking off when cutting). As for the seat cable, on left hand side of lock mechanism theres a bent tube which the cable runs through, rotate this 180 degrees and thread your cable under seat very easy to do without having to change anything.

Seb_uk
14-02-2009, 01:35 PM
I've just chopped the tail on my bike (had another thread recently).

Don't bother with a pipe cutter - just get a decent hacksaw, it does the job fine.

Paint the cut ends of the frame with primer and then some car touch up paint or similar,fit frame plugs, fit bracket, wire up your new tail light and enjoy the view! :thumbsup:

I also got my integrated light from Ducati mondo. Very good service.

pfcdaz
14-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Seb, what do you think of the visibility of the tail light, been playing today, and from some angles, particularly in direct sunlight it does not seem to show up particularly well.

geeman, you have pretty much confirmed what i has in my mind to do, cheers, makes me feel more confident about doing it :lol:

Seb_uk
14-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Seb, what do you think of the visibility of the tail light, been playing today, and from some angles, particularly in direct sunlight it does not seem to show up particularly well.

Funnily enough my housemate said the same thing about mine earlier. Not been out on her yet as have just finished painting the frame ends, but hopefully will go for a test ride tomorrow, weather permitting.

In poor light (inside the garage) the light seems very bright indeed, it just seems to not look as bright in direct sunlight. One thing I haven't seen on mine is a CE mark, so not 100% sure they are road legal.

uksurfer
14-02-2009, 03:16 PM
i cut mine here, in line with the light support, and cable tied the seat catch inside the frame.
________
Visa Gift Cards (http://bestfreegiftcard.com/visa-gift-cards/)