PDA

View Full Version : Cheeky Question

littlejimmy12
11-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm looking to get my white wheels powder coated black. Problem is I dont have any tools, space or the knowledge to prepare the wheels.

does anyone know of any company that does all the unbolting, pcoating and assembly.

alternatively does anyone on here do it and would they like the extra business as appose to my local dealer?

I'm based in North West London but travel is not a problem within reason.

thanks

James

(PS also remove hangers and plastic stuff)

Space Cadet
12-02-2009, 11:55 AM
I’m having the same thing (and colour) done to my wheels in the near future, ‘my’ mechanic Richard at TecMoto (Harold Park in Essex, just off the M25) is going to strip the wheels have them powder-coated and then resemble.

The powder-coating is around £60/70 a wheel I think and then the dis/reassembling is about £70 for both I think, but obviously best to speak to him.

If you do, mention Mark Williams recommended you, his number is 01708 343916

He will reassemble with the original bearings but recommends for the price of a new bearing to get new ones put in, piece of mind and all that.

gremlin
12-02-2009, 06:22 PM
ouch !!! we pay 25-30 per wheel, and some say we are paying over the odds.
if you want to come to norwich, i'll do it for you
i recommend you get new bearings and cush drive bushes.

Mr G

Space Cadet
12-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Obviously cheaper the better, but £60-odd per wheel doesn't sound too bad to me as they need to be striped back and properly coated and baked etc.

I've recently had my car wheels done and they were around that price each and they're similar in size.

Dookbob
12-02-2009, 07:28 PM
someone has got to tell you mate, you were robbed.

CK & AK
12-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Just picked up the 1098 spare wheels tonight..... didnt pay anywhere near the figure you've been quoted Spacey - less than 70 - and thats for the pair of them, so its worth looking about - honestly.
Gremlin - yours is prob about right mate :)

simons
12-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Armourtex in hackney did mine for 70 for the pair, did a nice job too.
I dont mind giving you a hand stripping the bike, not sure if my abba stand will fit on a s2r.
I'm near Ealing

littlejimmy12
12-02-2009, 09:49 PM
thank you all for your help, as usual I'm always impressed with the offers of help and info on the forum.

Space Cadet
13-02-2009, 08:21 AM

I haven’t any other quotes to compare the £60-70 for the bike wheels to, sounded reasonable to me though and as I’ll be having them done at the same time as a full service and a few other bits I don’t mind paying a few more quid (if that's the case) as it’ll be convenient to have them done at the same time.

I’ve had loads of car wheels done in the past and the circa £260 for all 4 wheels is a good rate for removing and refitting the tyres, new valves and balancing etc and the place I use always does an as-new job so even if it’s a few more quid I don’t mind.

There are some things in life that I/we know perhaps we’re paying more than elsewhere or if we shopped on the internet, but if its convenient or you get piece of mind knowing a top job will be done then its money well spent in my opinion.

trix
07-06-2009, 11:16 PM

ive seen/had powder coating for £3o per wheel and watched it fall off in 6 months like everything you get what you pay for, if its done right duke wheels have to be dipped as the coating is very hard then once stripped properly they should be coated (zinc) then powder coated and top coated. it takes hours of work. Like i said you get what you pay for if you want a rolex watch that works you wont get it for a fiver but you will get a watch that pretends to be one for a while until it stops.

Pedro
07-06-2009, 11:20 PM
ive seen/had powder coating for £3o per wheel and watched it fall off in 6 months like everything you get what you pay for, if its done right duke wheels have to be dipped as the coating is very hard then once stripped properly they should be coated (zinc) then powder coated and top coated. it takes hours of work. Like i said you get what you pay for if you want a rolex watch that works you wont get it for a fiver but you will get a watch that pretends to be one for a while until it stops.

I'd disagree with that.

I use Trestan Finishers in Southampton who charge between £25 and £30 per wheel and do a cracking job. I've had 7 wheels done over the last 5 years and every one still looks good. Unless you're looking for a show winning finish then powder coating is more than adequate

Space Cadet
08-06-2009, 08:09 AM
This is all getting a bit out of hand is’nt it and we’re only talking about the difference of £20 per wheel.

My price of £70 (or whatever it was) included a full strip down including the discs, bearings and sprocket bracket thing. Plus being taken to the strippers and picked up again and then rebuilt, the tyres fitted and balanced, must be a couple of hours labour alone I would’ve thought.

I would never pay £25, as like somebody mentioned you pay for what you get and unfortunately nowadays £25 doesn’t buy you much.

trix
08-06-2009, 10:24 AM
I'd disagree with that.

I use Trestan Finishers in Southampton who charge between £25 and £30 per wheel and do a cracking job. I've had 7 wheels done over the last 5 years and every one still looks good. Unless you're looking for a show winning finish then powder coating is more than adequate

so you took your bike in they took the wheels off stripped them of tyres discs valves then they dipped the wheels in the correct solution to remove the very hard coating then zinc coated them then powder coated them then replaced the discs valves tyres etc and refitted them for £30 and it was a top job and the powder coating is still on there (thats what space cadet got for his money) if so can i have the number.
I would think that you proberbly stripped the bike yourself and the powder was put over the top of the old paint it works but its not a good job like I said you get what you pay for.

please dont take that personally i just think that this post has not been explained properly and it annoys me when people moan about things when they are looking at it wrongly especially when companies and individual names are mentioned.