PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Fuel Tank, Carb model

pike
09-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi,

Have just bought the above from good ole ebay. Problem I have is it hasn't come with the inserts for attaching the "bleed" and "drainage" hoses. (see picture, bottom left holes).

Been to my local dealer here in Bristol who were very helpful but unable to find a schematic of this tank. Apparently, plastic tanks for carb models don't exist in their database!!!

If no inserts does anyone know the thread size of these 2 holes? if so, may be able to fit a couple of bolts drilled hollow and sealed with a fibre washer.

Anyhow. Look forward to receiving some advice

Gilps
09-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Hi,

Have just bought the above from good ole ebay. Problem I have is it hasn't come with the inserts for attaching the "bleed" and "drainage" hoses. (see picture, bottom left holes).

Been to my local dealer here in Bristol who were very helpful but unable to find a schematic of this tank. Apparently, plastic tanks for carb models don't exist in their database!!!

If no inserts does anyone know the thread size of these 2 holes? if so, may be able to fit a couple of bolts drilled hollow and sealed with a fibre washer.

Anyhow. Look forward to receiving some advice

They don't exist on their database coz they didn't make a plastic tank for the M900. The plastic tanks have a fuel pump fitted inside which has the fiddly push fit connectors to attach the hoses to.

Gilps
09-02-2009, 12:53 PM
The picture is very small so difficult to see, but that doesn't look like the underneath of the plastic tank.

slob
09-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Plastic tanks were intorduced on Dark models 02 onwards
and all models from around 05.
as Gilps suggests, AFAIK no plastic tanks were ever made for carb models.
ie models look like this
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=12319&d=1234189229

CK & AK
09-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Currently we have a 'gang' of tanks of which will fit any monster between them all.
Also agree with Gilps & Slob, there was never a plastic tank on a carbie, tho they 'can' be made to fit (as anything 'can' be made to fit if you really wanted to)

However, I'd send it back - its not as described - and will not 'fit' your bike.

C:)

seby
09-02-2009, 02:34 PM
i know many people who are looking for a plastic one for carbs model, they exists but they are very rare. Am 100% sure of that :)

seby
09-02-2009, 02:42 PM
here a link you should translate using google language tools
http://www.ducatimonsterclub.it/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=101&topic=36735.0

slob
09-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Assuming this is a rogue plastic tank for a carbie, I'd suggest you get one of these
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/et157-screw-pitch-gauge-metric-60/path/
to work out what bolts you need

Anf
09-02-2009, 06:18 PM
here a link you should translate using google language tools
http://www.ducatimonsterclub.it/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=101&topic=36735.0

that's a metal tank ... i've got two exactly the same in my shed!

slob
09-02-2009, 06:32 PM
I disagree Anf, it looks a plastic tank from an injected model... I have three in my garage, along with three steel ones.

pike
09-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks for all your help but the tank is plastic and is for a carb model...I've made the mistake of buying a fuel injected tank model in the past and totally agree it's significantly different.

Sorry the underside picture was so small and unclear but I can confirm the only difference to my existing tank as far as the pipe work goes is that the fuel feed to filter comes out the bottom next to the sensor as oppossed to the side of the tank.

I have managed to fabricate some M7 studs to fit into the thread inserts so i can connect the breather and drain pipes.

All I then have to do is touch in a small chip and fabricate a bracket to suit the slightly different pivot fixing.

FYI and perhaps to help clarify what model this tank fitted originally, here is the underside marking info'

58630361A
PA6
E11.0140

11396 98
ACERBIS

CK & AK
09-02-2009, 08:45 PM
But there is a difference between the metal & plastic tanks (pump fitting too) for the ie bikes. The plastic tank does look rather similar to the carbie metal tank from the underside too.......

Who confirmed it was a for the carbie for you? - just asking as in the past 7 years we've never heard of one in the UK :) (not giving you grief - but genuine question mate)

seby
09-02-2009, 09:11 PM
AK
it was a prototype, rare to find and it sell outside the normal ducati reseller.
it does exists :)

pike
09-02-2009, 09:38 PM
But there is a difference between the metal & plastic tanks (pump fitting too) for the ie bikes. The plastic tank does look rather similar to the carbie metal tank from the underside too.......

Who confirmed it was a for the carbie for you? - just asking as in the past 7 years we've never heard of one in the UK :) (not giving you grief - but genuine question mate)

No worries and you're not giving me grief :thumbsup:

I can't see how there is any pump fitting issues as the fuel feed comes out of the bottom of the tank (Single Hose), through the filter and then to the Vacuum cock where by it's distributed to the fuel pump?

Apart from the breather and drain there are no other pipes,fittings etc that go within the tank.

Proof will be whether it works eh ;) Thanks again

CK & AK
09-02-2009, 09:46 PM
AK
it was a prototype, rare to find and it sell outside the normal ducati reseller.
it does exists :)

aha - and if you want more fun - try the carbon tanks for the ie bikes :D

seby
10-02-2009, 09:22 AM
aha - and if you want more fun - try the carbon tanks for the ie bikes :D

the only problem with the carbon one is that is illegal in some track (in italy, no idea in Uk), and they are dangerous, they need to be treated inside with some kind of foam.
the resulting weight is the same of the alloy one :D

the best one i think is the alloy one :

metal 6900 g
Plastic 5600 g
Alloy (Road Racing) 4300 g unpainted
Carbon (untreated) 3000 g

Gilps
10-02-2009, 09:52 AM
FYI and perhaps to help clarify what model this tank fitted originally, here is the underside marking info'

58630361A
PA6
E11.0140

11396 98
ACERBIS

Acerbis do make fuel tanks, usually for crossers and large tanks for desert racers etc. I've done a Google search and can't find anything for the Monster but I guess they may have made some for Ducati in the past.

slob
10-02-2009, 11:24 AM
...also, I think OEM plastic tanks are heavier than steel ones, I may have to get the bathroom scales out later.

CK & AK
10-02-2009, 02:00 PM
...also, I think OEM plastic tanks are heavier than steel ones, I may have to get the bathroom scales out later.

They are Slob, not by much, but definately heavier when weighed both types dry :)

Pomp1
10-02-2009, 02:21 PM
They are Slob, not by much, but definately heavier when weighed both types dry :)
funny as the guy on the italian forum advertised his at being 3 kg lighter..

pike
10-02-2009, 04:38 PM
funny as the guy on the italian forum advertised his at being 3 kg lighter..

I'll stir this up again now:devil:....My plastic tank feels definitely lighter than my steel one?

I've also managed to source a mounting bracket after seeking advice and being provided with a part no for my dealer here in bristol. Cost the massive some of £3.40...who said ducati parts are always expensive;) The guy who helped is Rich at Louigi Moto. I belive many in my area know him well and he's extremely approachable and full of good advice.

Cheers All

Gilps
10-02-2009, 06:05 PM
The guy who helped is Rich at Louigi Moto. I belive many in my area know him well and he's extremely approachable and full of good advice.

He does make a lovely cup of tea

seby
11-02-2009, 09:43 AM

obviously they need to be weighted without fuel pump for the IE model

the metal one have external fuel pump.

or must be weighted both with fuel pump...

anyway i read hundred of thread about plastic vs metal tank, and the results is the metal one (steel) is heavier than the plastic one :D

slob
11-02-2009, 09:47 AM
& AK has built several race championship winning monsters through meticulous attention to detail,
not least of which was working out how to save weight wherever possible.
Injected monters with a metal tank have an internal fuel pump too.

CK & AK
11-02-2009, 01:19 PM
& AK has built several race championship winning monsters through meticulous attention to detail,
not least of which was working out how to save weight wherever possible.
Injected monters with a metal tank have an internal fuel pump too.

We've actually weighed them a few times over the past 5 years - to show others the difference - when both tanks have been stripped right back, then painted, then with pumps, also then with filler caps (road and then race).
Every kg (or even less) off the bike helps in the race world.........hence why we sold on all the plastic tanks except one at the end of 2007

Maybe the 2 sets of scales we have are both wrong then :confused: but at least we can say we have had the tanks here - and weighed them ourselves to check on this.

JerryXt
11-02-2009, 03:10 PM
...so which is lighter? And will a steel one fit my S4Rs???

CK & AK
11-02-2009, 03:57 PM
...so which is lighter? And will a steel one fit my S4Rs???

Read the previous posts mr Muppet! :p

and in answer to your 2nd Q - as we say, anything 'can' be made to fit' - but the simple answer is no mate

C :)

pike
20-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Well...Have finally finished and fitted my replacement Plastic Fuel Tank..it all fits fine..a little tinkering to get the plumbing and fuel filter to fit around the top of the Vertical Cylinder head but that's it :)

I've attached some photos of finished artical (and original dented metal tank) including the layout on the underside of the tank for all you guys who thought there wasn't a carb plastic tank made for the carb Monster Dark.

i found out that the tank was originally off of a M600Dark of 2001 vintage.

Thanks to Rich at Louigi Motos and Riders of Bristol who, once I had identified what model the tank was from, were very helpful in sourcing all the parts :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just got to "T" cut the touched in areas and final polish and that's it. Roll on the Summer and let the good times roll:yoparty: