PDA

View Full Version : Fitting crash protectors...

david brent
05-02-2009, 07:29 PM
hello there,

i wonder if anyone can help me with what is probably a minor query.

i was about to fit some R&G crash protector to my 620ie, when i took the black rubber thingy of the frame and there seemed to be something inside - like a metal rod.

i'm sure its there for a reason, but i didn't want to poke around to much, i thought i'd make enquires on here first,

any help is gratefully recieved.... :worried:

ricky
05-02-2009, 07:35 PM
lol its kinda important!! its the main bar holdin in the engine up!
when u get the R&Gs they should come with a bar, attatch one bung to one end then knock the original bar out using it, then screw on other bung! easy!:mand:

bigredduke
05-02-2009, 07:37 PM
The metal rod is in fact the engine mounting bolt! The R & G's should come with a replacement long bolt. You need to undo the nut on one end of the existing bolt, support the engine with a trolley jack or similar and gently tap the bolt out of the frame. Replace with the r &g bolt & fit the crash bungs to each end.

david brent
05-02-2009, 07:56 PM
oh ok, thanks for the quick replys' guys...

just so i straight with this, i need to have something to support the engine ?? or would it be ok if i just poked it through quickly...

thanks again..

bigredduke
05-02-2009, 07:59 PM

just so i straight with this, i need to have something to support the engine ?? or would it be ok if i just poked it through quickly...

thanks again..

Not essential but IMO advisable. If the engine drops by just a fraction, it may be difficult to get the new bar through easily and you may damage the screw thread on the end. That could make it difficult to fit the protectors.

ricky
05-02-2009, 08:52 PM
i didnt just hit it hard!!! lol :chuckle: as long as uhave one bung on its fine!! u will need 2 spanners to tighten them. (opposite directions) but im a total numpty and i did it ok!!!:drunk:

Pomp1
05-02-2009, 10:46 PM
I would recommend to torque them to proper settings, but I just like to play with my toys..

Seb_uk
06-02-2009, 07:30 AM

thanks again..

You could try using a car jack with a block of wood or an axle stand to support the engine.

It's also a good idea to coat the new bar in copper grease before sliding into place.

Nickj
06-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Of course if the enine did drop while you were fitting these they would most certainly prove to be almost 100% effective as crash protectors as you wouldn't be going anywhere fast (or even very slow) LOL

Half Pint
06-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Are the frames significantly different between the 600 and 620. i recently got a R&G kit for a 620 in the hope that it may fit the 600.... it has not arrived yet but i thought i wouls ask whilst people are on topic.

however if its a definate no then i may have to put it back up for sale.

Pedro
06-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Are the frames significantly different between the 600 and 620. i recently got a R&G kit for a 620 in the hope that it may fit the 600.... it has not arrived yet but i thought i wouls ask whilst people are on topic.

however if its a definate no then i may have to put it back up for sale.

Think the 600 and 620 kits are different.

The 600 I have in the garage uses two bolts, one each side that thread into the cases. I believe the 620 uses one long bolt that passes through the cases and is held in with a nut

ricky
06-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Think the 600 and 620 kits are different.

The 600 I have in the garage uses two bolts, one each side that thread into the cases. I believe the 620 uses one long bolt that passes through the cases and is held in with a nut

yep thats right... i nearly bought the wrong kit!

OplayneO
28-02-2009, 09:04 PM
just fitted my kit today, wasn't hard at all with a good socket set and trolley jack. Did it on the side stand also, which riders said wasn't possible? Saved £130 quid! which they quoted to fit it, took me an hour so i don't know how they can charge so much for undoing one bolt and tightening up five of them. saying that opening the packaging was the most complicated and time consuming part...

...the kits on and number plate fitted also, just got to wait til midnight before i can take it off the drive!!!

singletrack
28-02-2009, 10:00 PM
just fitted my kit today, wasn't hard at all with a good socket set and trolley jack. Did it on the side stand also, which riders said wasn't possible? Saved £130 quid! which they quoted to fit it, took me an hour so i don't know how they can charge so much for undoing one bolt and tightening up five of them. saying that opening the packaging was the most complicated and time consuming part...

...the kits on and number plate fitted also, just got to wait til midnight before i can take it off the drive!!!

Did you buy the R & Gs from Riders when you bought the bike? Most dealers will fit accessories like that free of charge with a new bike :thumbsdown:

Have fun on the new bike - isn't it good that the 1st of march is on a Sunday? - all day to play :chuckle:

OplayneO
28-02-2009, 10:10 PM
i didn't buy them when i bought the bike as seemed like a lot of extra money at the time, just ordered the hardware so i would have it for the 1st (yeah tomorrow!!!). i get a little sceptical when dealers try and offer to much stuff in addition to the bike when they know they have you in a spending frenzy, got a few bits thrown in on the price and they looked after me with the after sales stuff when i went back in so all worked out well.

i do like tinker with my toys and gave me an excuse to play with the bike today while praying for a nice dry day tomorrow to wear in the new shiny tyres!