PDA

View Full Version : Rear/Front Tyre - Different tread - does it really make a difference....

Headhunter
04-02-2009, 01:53 PM
After getting a rear puncture I've discovered that getting a 160/60 tyre in Dubai is a nightmare! 1 week turnaround and even then they can't get you the tyre you want!

Basically I've had to settle with a Pirelli Supercorsa on the back - have a standard Diablo on the front.

Question is will the different tread really make that much of a difference? I know it's best to have like-for-like, however, as I say, that's easier said than done out here.

Just in case it's a Monster 620ie for those of you who don't remember me!

Minus the snow - hope all is well back home.

Jon.

walpole68
04-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi Headhunter,of course we remember you.Do you remember the cold,the snow the salt on the roads ! I have forgotten how to ride a bike.Sorry cant really answer the tyre question,is it not worth changing both and keeping a spare for the time being.John

Zimbo
04-02-2009, 02:38 PM
It's more to do with the tyre compound than the tread pattern. The Supercorsa is a track tyre (though a road legal one) designed to be very sticky when warm, but not to last very long.
In general it's a good idea not to have a stickier tyre on the back than at the front, as the front would break away before the rear, but as long as you don't go mad on it you should be fine!

Headhunter
05-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Cheers Zimbo. Much appreciated and hope you're looking forward to the new season, if you're racing.

Walpole, how could I forget the cold, the snow. Hopefully it'll warm up soon and will be able to get back out again. Don't forget you can take the p*ss when it's 55c out here and I can't ride. ;)

Headhunter
05-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Cheers Zimbo. Much appreciated and hope you're looking forward to the new season, if you're racing.

Walpole, how could I forget the cold, the snow. Hopefully it'll warm up soon and will be able to get back out again. Don't forget you can take the p*ss when it's 55c out here and I can't ride. ;)

Bodybag
12-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Is there an echo in here? :D

jerry
13-02-2009, 03:27 AM
On my S4 in thailand i have a Metzler Z6 on the back and pirrelli diablo rosso on the front , handling is perfect but when metzler dies i will get another pirelli on the back

Blah blah
17-02-2009, 07:10 PM
After 3 years of Monster ownership, today I finally managed to get a matching set of tyres fitted :thumbsup: and I'm hoping for great things (oh, and the front is now the correct size aswell !!)

kevm
18-02-2009, 02:28 PM
When I first got my M900 it had different compound Michelins front and rear, with rear being stickier. It was a nightmare!! Changed both as suggested and kept others for emergencies.