PDA

View Full Version : hello monster lovers

darius
03-02-2009, 06:50 PM
hi, my name is darius
i bought my first monster last saturday M900ie dark :booze:
and i've got a litlle problem, can't open the fuel cap (broken key in the lock)
any ideas how to deal with it before i drill it out? or where to get a cap from wich not gonna cost me stupid amount of£££.
thanx and hello again:biggrin:

slob
03-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Hello and welcome.
I'm afraid I'm not sure about the fuel cap thing, my guess is drill it if you cant grab enough key to pull it out somehow, although I would wait 24 hours and see if someone on here comes up with aless destructive answer... not really riding weather at the moment anyway.

Albie
03-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Unbolt the fuel cap with 3 of the bolts in a triangle shape and remove. Underneath you MAY be able to either dismantle lock from behind or get a new lock with a new key or swap for a billet twist on race one.

Nickj
03-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Might gome out if you flood it with lubricant and then grab it. As there isn't too much space to spare I'd go for a pair of small straight mosquito forceps (with the serrated teeth) and grab it.
Dumb idea (but maybe not) would be to find a strong magnet and see if you can get it out with that. One of the bigger rare earth magnets could well do the job.

In any case it might be easier if you get the whole cap off and get the lock out

Pomp1
03-02-2009, 07:57 PM
been caught out by the push/turn bit? anyway..even if you open it by removing the bolts (which is, btw, possible)you'll be only able to get as far as the sealed barrel(if you go down this route be very careful,take picture as you go and don't lose parts, the spring is miniature size and need to go in a very small recess.However if you remove it this can be easily be taken to a locksmith for inspection/removal of the broken key. oh, and welcome btw..all this advice for the price of a virtual vodka and lemon..thanks

johnsy
03-02-2009, 07:58 PM
3 hex allen key bolts will enable you to remove cap and lock, then you can remove lock and renew or at least take it to a fabricator, they'll have all kinds of silly tool

gary tompkins
03-02-2009, 08:46 PM
I thought one of the allen bolts wasn't accessable until you open the cap?

Seems a bit pointless having it lockable otherwise?

slob
03-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Correct GT, there's one extra screw underneath.

Blah blah
03-02-2009, 08:50 PM
... I'd go for a pair of small straight mosquito forceps (with the serrated teeth) ...

Are these used to deliver little baby mosquitos? :scratch:

Oh, and hello to the new chap :yoparty:

Starter Sprag
03-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Yeah,

Gary is correct

The last one ( number 4 ) is located inside / beneath the fuel cap, you can only get at it,

after first opening the 'fuel-cap'

Back to square one Darius.......??

Trent
04-02-2009, 05:57 AM
Yeah,

Gary is correct

The last one ( number 4 ) is located inside / beneath the fuel cap, you can only get at it,

after first opening the 'fuel-cap'

Back to square one Darius.......??

You can break the tab that the 4th screw is holding with a bit of leverage (been there - done that ;) )
Then you can either try and fix the original lock, or buy another fuel cap.

I think all the Monster caps are the same, so you'll easily find one on ebay - The only problem will be having to carry 2 keys - 1 for the ignition and 1 for the fuel cap.

I can't imagine anyone removing the fuel cap to steal fuel, so running with the "security tab" broken shouldn't be a problem (If a thief wanted the fuel, they would break the tab anyway :chuckle: )

gremlin
04-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Welcome to the mad house! Bike It do replacement caps which are exactly the same as DP ones at half the price. Just bought one for my old girl. You can get different colour combinations too, but we bought a plain one and anodised it to suit my paint scheme. Unfortunately they don't lock but how often is the bike going to be left where someone would nick your fuel?

darius
04-02-2009, 07:31 PM
thanx for all your advices, i think ill go for drilling and then to a locksmith to try and get a new barrel, if not ill get ono of the fancy caps (e-bay) never mind the lock (who wold be bovered enough to try and nick 10 liters fo petrol-if that :biggrin:)
cheers.
:biggrin:

darius
04-02-2009, 07:54 PM
hi guys, it's me again:chuckle:
i've found at e-bay a cap, ignition swich and matching key for thirty odd quid but they are out of m600.
all the monsters have the same size tank, don't they???

Albie
04-02-2009, 08:15 PM
I think you will be ok . You can always just swap the lock itself. I did the same when got a nearly new cap and mount given to me as was newer looking.

It will cost you more for a new lock.

darius
04-02-2009, 08:19 PM
just checked in manual and they do have same tanks so i'll bay it.
even if something will go belly up i'll do as you say and chnge lock only.
cheers.