PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Monster?

emily's driver
31-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Spotted this recently. Not sure if it is a repost, in which case apologies. Looks the dog's danglies for an un-faired bike. See what you think....

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/rod1965_2006/Monster1.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/rod1965_2006/Monster2.jpg

walpole68
31-01-2009, 10:09 PM
The exhaust wrap is horrible,theres loads of custom monters on the ducati usa web site as they had a 1100 challenge to build a custom bike,worth having a look but some really naff paint jobs.

JR
31-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Got to say it just looks so Chubby and nothing like what i would call the ultimate one - unlike the January Monster of the Month which for me is such a sublime work of art.

Shinmen
01-02-2009, 12:39 AM
I really like it but the exhaust wrap is terrible and so are the forks but apart from that I would not turn it away.

dam
01-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Looks like Gaffer tape!

Paranoid Dave
01-02-2009, 08:20 AM
I like exhaust wrap, but in this case i'll make an exception.

If they wanted a fantastic monster, why the hell did they start with the lego version?

Snips
01-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Is it really that different from the standard bike?

Anyway, one of the interesting aspects of the 'lego' bike is that you can indeed swap out the tank panels, so it would be interesting to see the same bike with panels swapped for all red or all black.

Other than that, I'd like to see a bit more CF on the ultimate bike.

jimbo696
01-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Looks almost std except for a belly pan and a dubious paint scheme.... I agree on the zorst wrap, why would you????

walpole68
01-02-2009, 10:28 AM
The exhaust might be from a Hypermotard as it routes under the engine,Why ? Ducati moved it to increase ground clearance.rearsets look nice though.The standard footrest hangers are ugly !

walpole68
01-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Chect out the rest of the modded monsters here
http://monster.ducatiusa.com/m1100sdealermonsterchallenge.php

Nickj
01-02-2009, 11:25 AM
The trellis is just too clunky on these, what was a delicate bit of pipework's been turned into something you'd find on an old 4X4 or a farm gate. No way is anone going to make that look as nice as the original frame without some magical invisible paint so it just ceases to be seen. It certainly doesn't need to be in a bright contrast colour, blacks better, at least its less obtrusive!!

emily's driver
02-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Errr, that will be a thumbs down then from most. I rather get the impression that whatever guise the new Monster was sporting there is always going to be divided opinion over the basic redesign of the original 13 year old model, so no amount of customising is going to make it any more appealing to that camp. Personally I like both old and new, but as has been discussed on here ad nauseum, if the model stayed as it was, Ducati would die on it's feet. Things have to progress to stay competitive and whilst nostalgic affection for a particular model is no bad thing, it won't garner any new sales for a company competing in a fiercely competitive market, especially so in a weaker economic climate. You either have to accept the need for change or watch the company slowly fall into decline, as this model is the bread and butter of Ducati's turnover.

Paranoid Dave
02-02-2009, 04:38 PM
I think we'll learn to overlook the lego factor, and yes the pic you chose was much better than standard, but there are some on the link that might be better. Personally they all have good bits but none of them are good all over. I'd happily admire a well modded modern monster (repeat 3 times) but i'm waiting for a few specifics, like:
Decent looking cans
A rear frame that matches the front half in colour (not black).
A conventional headlight, maybe smaller than old monster but same style.

If I had one I'd probably make a new seat cowl to look like the old style too, but anyway, ignoring the bike, some of the designs are pretty groovy.

Pomp1
02-02-2009, 05:49 PM
If you like the original, replacements in general have never quite the same appeal..original mini vs. new mini..VW beetle vs. new beetle, fiat 500,and that obviously apply to the monster.Althought style clues are from the GP bike( like the old monster had the 888 frame..) no monster owner would have asked for that styling. Is a good bike styling wise but the original,well,that was just superb and because of that hard to replicate.
As PD said all those modified monsters have plus sides, give it a couple of years and Ducati will listen to the customers and sort things out.
I like the TLD graphics,but TL is just a genius,IMO, the two with american flag can't hold a candle to the MV brutale america,shame on ferracci... I also kind of like the exhaust wrap on ED pictures, contrary to popular opinion, makes it kind of raw looking.