PDA

View Full Version : Strip down

johnsy
25-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Cheers for all the advice i've found here on the strip down and rebuilding of Monsters, thought i'd add a few photos of progress

http://s568.photobucket.com/albums/ss127/johnsy68/?albumview=slideshow

10 hours of work, wondering how many hours to clean and how many to rebuild...

gremlin
25-01-2009, 02:06 PM
We took 3.5 hours to strip mine and two weeks to rebuild. We did send frame and wheels to powder coaters and Clive anodized all the ali bits before they went back on which took a bit of time. Hope you've bagged and tagged everything, it made life so much easier on rebuild. We used a PTouch labeller for the loom so we knew what went where. Welding tags inside the frame makes a neater job of wires too. Mine are pretty much all hidden now and there's no cable ties to spoil the frame. Have fun!:chuckle::chuckle:

johnsy
25-01-2009, 02:31 PM
ops, no tagging, just mental pictures, powder coating next job, well after i get the cush drives out, tyres off, think i'll just pop into seastar for that, never thought about hiding the loom, more for me to think about.
On your timing, it'll take me... couple of months to put it together, ahhhh

gremlin
25-01-2009, 03:51 PM
If you need a hand with anything just pm, we're only a couple of miles from Seasick and a mile from Colorcote. We went to Holburns on Old Palace road to get tyres off, we had problems with one of Clives wheels when he got a tyre done at Seastar so don't use them anymore. Clive put them back on with no probs. Try heating wheel to get cush drives out and drift them with a socket the same size, I think that's how mine were done.

Pomp1
25-01-2009, 10:42 PM
that's what I like to see.. a man busy paying with his toys.Tagging in any rebuilt is a must,saves times.I also take a lot of pictures as they always come handy for cable routing and general positioning. Good luck with everything!

scrapps
26-01-2009, 12:29 PM
started to pull my 900ie apart this weekend,5hrs later and only 1/2 done.
Lots of time has been spent labeling and taking pics so i hope the time spent now will save more on the rebiuld.
good luck johnsy its alot harder than i thought due to the way the cables ect run thru parts of the frame.:scratch:
the next tricky part will be getting the swing arm off i hear it can be a bitch:thumbsdown:

johnsy
26-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Cheers lads, nothing labeled or tagged, frame will be back middle of next week, so if i stay off the bottle, don't fry too many cells up, then err, ok, everyone have their phones ready for me. I figure i've this week to clean and polish, then bring it on, Monster v's Midget, i shall not be beaten...
On a serious note, had no trouble with any bolts, used a ryobi cordless with hex bits, all came out fine, rear swinging arm, undone the nuts, slight tap to get it started, then twist and pull.

Albie
26-01-2009, 05:12 PM
started to pull my 900ie apart this weekend,5hrs later and only 1/2 done.
Lots of time has been spent labeling and taking pics so i hope the time spent now will save more on the rebiuld.
good luck johnsy its alot harder than i thought due to the way the cables ect run thru parts of the frame.:scratch:
the next tricky part will be getting the swing arm off i hear it can be a bitch:thumbsdown:

I thought you was going to call me.:p

Albie
26-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Cheers for all the advice i've found here on the strip down and rebuilding of Monsters, thought i'd add a few photos of progress

http://s568.photobucket.com/albums/ss127/johnsy68/?albumview=slideshow

10 hours of work, wondering how many hours to clean and how many to rebuild...

Your bike looks like the one that was on ebay a year or so ago that I said would look great with a re paint of parts. It was in Sittingbourne Kent I believe

johnsy
26-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Your bike looks like the one that was on ebay a year or so ago that I said would look great with a re paint of parts. It was in Sittingbourne Kent I believe

I bought it 3 years ago of fleabay, from a bloke in Kent, met him near a big shopping center near Dartford. That was his 3rd paint job, poor bloke forgot to ride it, paid 2600 for it with 4k miles, then knowing how reliable Dukes were, headed of home, 1500 miles to Spain, didn't miss a beat. :woot:

Anyone know what the top speed is for the m900, standard gearing, wondering whether it needs setting up, been re-jetted but tops out at 120mph, hoping that another 20mph+ is possible :thumbsup: . Am i being a bit optimistic :yoparty:

Albie
26-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Should get around at least 135mph. I did on my R plate m900 with no mods other than Sil moto cans and standard gears.
A good service can help

Yes thats the one from sittingbourne. It looked a good bike and I told my mate to buy and repaint the glary yellow bits. I thought the gold was a bit too blingy. Otherwise it looked a crackin bike. Im glad you have had good service. So what are you doing regards paint and that.

johnsy
26-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Should get around at least 135mph. I did on my R plate m900 with no mods other than Sil moto cans and standard gears.
A good service can help

Yes thats the one from sittingbourne. It looked a good bike and I told my mate to buy and repaint the glary yellow bits. I thought the gold was a bit too blingy. Otherwise it looked a crackin bike. Im glad you have had good service. So what are you doing regards paint and that.

She's going back to black with an alloy/silver frame. Got a pair of clip ons and think i'll change the filter to k+n
Think it was a good buy, almost sold it a year ago when i bought a Benelli TNT, but in the end the dark side won and the Benelli went. Apart from shredding the trye (the original) in 100 miles then she's been a saint, always started, never let me down.
Ok 135 is my aim, it's been serviced new oil, belts etc, so i'm thinking carbs, balancing and tune. What's the best way, rolling road $$$ or is there a cheaper way. As i said it's Ducati performance pipes and re-jetted, but only hits 120mph :banghead:

Pomp1
26-01-2009, 08:14 PM
She's going back to black with an alloy/silver frame. Got a pair of clip ons and think i'll change the filter to k+n
Think it was a good buy, almost sold it a year ago when i bought a Benelli TNT, but in the end the dark side won and the Benelli went. Apart from shredding the trye (the original) in 100 miles then she's been a saint, always started, never let me down.
Ok 135 is my aim, it's been serviced new oil, belts etc, so i'm thinking carbs, balancing and tune. What's the best way, rolling road $$$ or is there a cheaper way. As i said it's Ducati performance pipes and re-jetted, but only hits 120mph :banghead:
have you got the original sprocket/chainwheel? it may have been downsized as 15 mph is quite a bit.

johnsy
26-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Definately got a 15 front, i'll count the rear tomorrow. At Cadwell in top, it just stops pulling at 120, can't remember the revs, but it wasn't red-lining. If i can get another 15mph it'll stop me craving a S4r, well it will for another year. Fingers crossed it's the rear sprocket, what should it be, 45 if my memory serves me well, not that it does...

gremlin
26-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Have a chat with James at BDK Racing in Ashwellthorpe, he's ace at getting as much as possible out of an engine and has his own dyno. He tunes bikes for race teams and runs a Duke. He's not too far from Colorcote if you're taking your frame there so would be sensible to pop in while sorting that. He's got both our bikes at the mo for valve clearances etc, we wouldn't go anywhere else.
If there are any flat spots or problems he'll soon sort them out and he isn't expensive either.

johnsy
27-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Have a chat with James at BDK Racing in Ashwellthorpe, he's ace at getting as much as possible out of an engine and has his own dyno. He tunes bikes for race teams and runs a Duke. He's not too far from Colorcote if you're taking your frame there so would be sensible to pop in while sorting that. He's got both our bikes at the mo for valve clearances etc, we wouldn't go anywhere else.
If there are any flat spots or problems he'll soon sort them out and he isn't expensive either.

Cheers Gremlin, decided to go to aero coat, so off tomorrow should get the frame and wheels back mid next week :thumbsup: I'll pop in to see James when the bikes back in one piece, i need that extra 15mph, bit off luck he'll squeeze some more out of it :drunk:

johnsy
28-01-2009, 07:20 PM
progress so far, Aero coat in the back of beyond now have my frame and wheels, Marty at Felthorpe has plastics. I've led indicators, new carbon hugger, new graphics and clip ons. Should have everything back on the 5 Febuary to start rebuilding. Now the big clean up starts, everything needs a degrease and it looks as if i've a slight leak at the sump, so new gaskets in order there. Roll on the 5th, i miss her already

gremlin
28-01-2009, 07:38 PM
I went up to BDK today to give mine a hug, don't know how long it will be before she's home. The garage is way too empty with both the girls away. I found washing powder worked well on stuff that could get wet, then dried on the Rayburn to make sure everything was really dry before painting the bits that needed it. Hope you remembered to block the holes in the frame or you'll be ages reaming them out again. She's going to have her tank repainted as the lacquer turned out to be no good so I can't see me riding her for a few weeks.

Albie
28-01-2009, 07:49 PM
progress so far, Aero coat in the back of beyond now have my frame and wheels, Marty at Felthorpe has plastics. I've led indicators, new carbon hugger, new graphics and clip ons. Should have everything back on the 5 Febuary to start rebuilding. Now the big clean up starts, everything needs a degrease and it looks as if i've a slight leak at the sump, so new gaskets in order there. Roll on the 5th, i miss her already
Mine got let down by the powdercoaters being very busy. I was very frustrated but spent evenings painting enging and cleaning everything. WD40 or parafin does wonders too. I hope the leds dont cause you probs. I still need to convert mine. Some do have probs but for why ? I guess its relays or cheap led units. I dont know ?

johnsy
28-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Aero coat said they'll plug all holes, oh er misses.
I'd recommend Marty behind school garage at Felthorpe fo spraying, never seen a bad job from there
led lights!!! Got led rears and they work well, mailed chap about the front pair and he said nothing was extra was needed, we'll see
Everything getting colored is out with the pros, so all i've got to worry about is cleaning, and since i only cleaned her twice in 3 years, then er, well, i aint to good at cleaning...

Pomp1
28-01-2009, 10:00 PM
leds cause problem sometimes as they use a lower voltage (2-3 Volt) instead of the usual 12 bulbs thus creating a higher flasher unit. Sometimes you will need a capacitor that "mimes" the 12 V use of energy, HG sell them at about 2 quid each. With a bit of luck this won't be your case.

johnsy
01-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Progress so far... Got a phone call Saturday mid-day from Josh at Marty's spray shop, he'd finished my Tank, screen, seat cowl, tea tray, front mud guard and bottom fairing, 3 days start to finish and he done a spot on job repairing a hole in the fairing and small dent in the Tank, i can't praise them enough :yoparty: :hail: . Well done lads. 5 hours of cleaning today, with another 10 i think to get to a reasonable standard :thumbsdown:
Friday is time to pick my wheels and frame up, so come next weekend i'd like to think it'll start to look like a bike again. :D
Roll on Spring :spin: