PDA

View Full Version : Help, new 696??

OplayneO
25-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a monster, passed my test last year but am restricted to 33hp for a bit (only has a day spare to do it all) . i have decided this is what i want but cant make my mind up about getting a new 696 or a second hand monster?? massive advantages of a new one i know but i need a lot of kit on top of it all as i have have very little. Has anyone bought a new one from riders or any other dealers recently and got any discounts or great dealing on necessaries? i was down there today and they were willing to help out with the kit but not until i had as good as signed up already, any advise would be good as will probably go and sign some agreement next week either way.

looking forward to some nice weather and new toy.

thanks in advance.

walpole68
25-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Try Snells in Alton,most helpfull dealer i have ever dealt with,they have a red and white one in stock,a red demo they might sell and will have a mint 1600 mile used white one in stock as off thursday.My old one !

forresterone
25-01-2009, 08:36 AM
I got my 696 from Rider's they are ok, but you'll probably not get any discount off a new bike, but are more likely to get some deals on accessories, be it bling for the bike or kit for yourself...

Also they aint open on Sundays or Bank hols

CK & AK
25-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Try Snells in Alton,most helpfull dealer i have ever dealt with,they have a red and white one in stock,a red demo they might sell and will have a mint 1600 mile used white one in stock as off thursday.My old one !

what he says ^ ^ ^

OplayneO
25-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks...snells here i come!

OplayneO
25-01-2009, 09:10 AM
...just had a look at snells website and they have the 696 @ £5750 + £121 reg and tax. In rider it is £5715 OTR. All probably will work out the same in the end apart from snells is 100 miles away! I will preorder it for march anyhow as i am out of the country in feb.

walpole68- any idea how much you old will go for?

cheers

jimbo696
25-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Try calling round the other dealers and see what they have, then you can make price comparisons.. I agree, Snells are a good bunch... but they don't need to offer deals on the 696 at the moment...

walpole68
25-01-2009, 09:14 AM
The best your ever likely to get is a couple of hundred pounds off any way and i would pay that for good service all day long !

jimbo696
25-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Good point Walpole...

Oplayne,
Get them to throw in your 600 mile service for free...

OplayneO
25-01-2009, 09:23 AM
I am happy to pay the asking for the bike, as you said jimbo they dont need to do any deals on a bike like this and won't. As i need a restictor kit i would like it if they would do this in the price and then some discount of clothing and big chain, anyone have any idea how much they offer off the clothing?

I just need to work out how much the sting in tail will cost me after the bike....ow!

OplayneO
25-01-2009, 09:28 AM
restricter and 600 mile service, worth a try! some barganing power maybe, although im not that good at it and will have 'i am going to buy this bike what ever' tattooed across my face when i walk into the shop.

walpole68
25-01-2009, 09:51 AM
I think that would be possible,get your order in now for the 1st of March and a 09 plate.Remember as soon as that first sunny day arrives,people think bikes and sales go up then no chance of a deal ! Nows your best chance.

OplayneO
25-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Cheers all, will let you know when i have one in the bag and how i got on. thanks again....

jimbo696
25-01-2009, 11:30 AM
The problem with clothing is that they only sell Dianese in most Ducati places, unless you go to Ducati Aylesbury...

OplayneO
25-01-2009, 11:59 AM
whats the lowdown with Dianese? i know its definitly not budget clothing. Sorry for the stupid Q's.

im sure they sell alpine star at riders and few other makes. i did have a brief look when i was in there but i was distracted more by the metal! Best i go back and see what they got.

walpole68
25-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Best place for clothing is on you door step ! George Whites factory outlet in Swindon,loads of choice and price range.

brent elliott
29-01-2009, 06:58 PM
If you want a nearly new red 696 you could speak to Damiano at Metropolis London (vauxhall) this weekend - I have just traded in mine (1800 miles; first registered august 2008). Mint apart from very small chip to tank (from clumsy tw*t in parking bay)

walpole68
29-01-2009, 07:02 PM
If you want a nearly new red 696 you could speak to Damiano at Metropolis London (vauxhall) this weekend - I have just traded in mine (1800 miles; first registered august 2008). Mint apart from very small chip to tank (from clumsy tw*t in parking bay)

What you gone for this time ?

brent elliott
29-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Could not stop myself buying a new 1100s in white! (felt a bit cramped on the 696 - am 6'2") Can't wait for saturday.

walpole68
29-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Could not stop myself buying a new 1100s in white! (felt a bit cramped on the 696 - am 6'2") Can't wait for saturday.

Just done the same thing,mine came today.Feels much roomier to sit on.

brent elliott
29-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Fantastic, apparently Metrop. has had 3 or 4 other people doing the same thing this month.
Did you take the touring seat as well? or is the standard seat fine??

walpole68
29-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Fantastic, apparently Metrop. has had 3 or 4 other people doing the same thing this month.
Did you take the touring seat as well? or is the standard seat fine??
Standard seat for the time being and seems just fine,much better shaped at the front,there is a picture of mine in the thread new bike.

brent elliott
29-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Your bike looks great - enjoy the weekend, hope it's not raining

jimbo696
30-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Congrats on the new bike... looks like Sat might be OK weather for running it in...

OplayneO
30-01-2009, 07:06 PM
i think the 1100s might be a little to much to start and hope the 696 last me longer then 1800 miles, and hope more i don't end up eating my words. decided i will order a new one on 09 plate as i'm away for feb and should be there for when i return...i could be an expansive morning tomorrow but well worth it i hope. cheers for all the suggestions and advise.

walpole68
30-01-2009, 11:53 PM
i think the 1100s might be a little to much to start and hope the 696 last me longer then 1800 miles, and hope more i don't end up eating my words. decided i will order a new one on 09 plate as i'm away for feb and should be there for when i return...i could be an expansive morning tomorrow but well worth it i hope. cheers for all the suggestions and advise.

Which dealer you off to ? Get you order placed you will feel much better for it.

OplayneO
31-01-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm off to riders of bristol in a minute or 2. looked at some other dealers that are further away and the OTR price is more so weighed up my options and this is the easiest, closest and cheapest even if they don't throw any thing in on the deal. More news on my return.....

jimbo696
31-01-2009, 08:49 AM
I am sure you will love the 696, unless you really need more torque, which most people don't? you will find the 696 plenty quick enough for you...

OplayneO
31-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Got it, in white! well its coming at the end of feb for march 1st. restrictor thrown in for the price..so all good. went for a mix of dianese clothing and more budget clothing to keep the initial cost down. see you some of you out and about i hope. :-)

walpole68
31-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Got it, in white! well its coming at the end of feb for march 1st. restrictor thrown in for the price..so all good. went for a mix of dianese clothing and more budget clothing to keep the initial cost down. see you some of you out and about i hope. :-)

Well done and the best colour too :thumbsup: I not far from you as work in Swindon so will have to meet up and get out on our bikes.

OplayneO
01-02-2009, 07:50 PM
sure will, will give you shout when i'm all up and running!

lisyloo
02-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Hello - I'm also looking for a 696 (RED) and this one looks pretty good to me.
What do you more experienced folks think?

2008 DUCATI MONSTER 696 696cc

Price:
£4,250

Features:

* 1,000 miles
* Red
* 696 cc

Full Description:

Glossary of Terms

Manual 6 speed, 1,000 miles, Red. Full Service History, Immobiliser. £4,250
Trade Seller:
Contact Seller:

London Superbikes

walpole68
02-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Hello - I'm also looking for a 696 (RED) and this one looks pretty good to me.
What do you more experienced folks think?

2008 DUCATI MONSTER 696 696cc

Price:
£4,250

Features:

* 1,000 miles
* Red
* 696 cc

Full Description:

Glossary of Terms

Manual 6 speed, 1,000 miles, Red. Full Service History, Immobiliser. £4,250
Trade Seller:
Contact Seller:

London Superbikes

Buy it ! its cheap.I got that in part exchange so thats trade money.

jimbo696
02-02-2009, 09:44 AM
A very good deal, almost too cheap!! I wish I had seen it before I bought mine..... London Superbikes are a main dealer as well...
Does it have the seat cowl and bikini fairing?
I paid a little over 5k for my 696+ with c/f Termis and extra carbon bits, DP tank protector and LED indicators...
Put your money down ASAP!!!!

lisyloo
02-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Gone, already but thanks anyway guys.
They offered £500 off the new price, but won't part-ex my GPZ.

lisyloo
04-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Just is case anyone else is looking for a new one, here's the prices I'm getting (all OTR)

Riders £5871
Snells £5871
Motorapido £5750
London super bikes £5250

BTW - I can confirm that I do not work for London super bikes (I know you have to be careful on forums). I'm just shopping around for a new 696.

walpole68
04-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Just is case anyone else is looking for a new one, here's the prices I'm getting (all OTR)

Riders £5871
Snells £5871
Motorapido £5750
London super bikes £5250

BTW - I can confirm that I do not work for London super bikes (I know you have to be careful on forums). I'm just shopping around for a new 696.

Who do you want to buy from ? Take your quotes into the dealer you feel most comfortable with and say i want to buy a bike today these are the quotes i have,if you can match or get close i would prefer to deal with you,most dealers will quote list over the phone incase its a Ducati mystery shop phone call.Person to person best and be ready to place your deposit.Happy shopping.

ngraham28
05-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Hiya
Me too - I am after a 696+ in red as my first bike and would appreciate your thoughts and benefit expereince please, guys. Question is, what should I feel comfortable asking for being included - I would prefer adjsutable levers, the tail tidy, and carbon exhaust dressing which retails in total at £250. I'd also really love some different exhausts for purely aesthetic reasons. What would be a fair compromise to ask for? Also any feedback on my 2 local dealers P&H in Crawley and CMW in Chichester would be gratefully received. Has any one had any positive or negative experiences with either of these companies?

Thanks for your help

ngraham28

jimbo696
05-02-2009, 11:01 AM
I don't have any negative/positives to say about them.
I think you are unlikely to get everything you want thrown in.... The tail tidy is about 120, the levers would be at least 100+, not sure what carbon you mean by carbon exhaust dressing.. All of the carbon zorst shields are very expensive.!! Not sure where you get the 250 quid figure from?
If you went to London Superbikes, you could buy the bits you want and it would be less than the other dealers OTR prices!!!

ngraham28
05-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks, Jim

I'm pretty sure I wont get everything too (I wish!!!), just wondering - having never bought from a delaer before - what a reasonable level to ask to be included is. I'll have a look at LSB website so thanks for the tip!

lisyloo
05-02-2009, 12:42 PM
I got the LSB price over the phone, I don't think it's on their website.

If you want a termignoni exhaust then the demonstrators are being sold with those.
They have one in riders in Bristol which I think they are planning to sell for the normal price but you get the exhausts.
I think that snells of alton also have a demo that's year old that's about £5K with the exhausts as well.

Bear in mind that if you get one that's a year old then you'll only have 1 year remaining warranty and not 2.
Also the exhausts are not road legal (Snells told me they were legal with the baffles in).
These might not be an issue for you but just thought I'd point it out.

If you want the exhausts then I'd be looking at a demo model.
I'm not so I'm looking for a new one.

walpole68
05-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Just remember guys NOW ! is the time for a deal,new prices are due to go up any time and the nearer we get to the 1st of march and better weather they wont need to do a deal.They will sell them selves.

jimbo696
05-02-2009, 12:57 PM
I bought a demo one with carbon Termis and carbon shields everywhere..... and LED indicators and paid about 5200.... It was 7 months old and had 1500 on the clock...
I would never buy a new bike because I change them at least once a year!!!!
If it is carbon or s/s exh then it is not strictly speaking road 'legal' even with the baffles in; they are stamped race use only.. The only one that is legal is the Titanium one..

walpole68
05-02-2009, 01:04 PM
If it is carbon or s/s exh then it is not strictly speaking road 'legal' even with the baffles in; they are stamped race use only.. The only one that is legal is the Titanium one..

Good product knowledge Jim ;)

jimbo696
05-02-2009, 01:09 PM
:chuckle: I can't think where I learned that... some very well informed chap I am sure....

lisyloo
05-02-2009, 01:10 PM

Hmm................that was a bit misleading from Snells then.

Riders told me the termis were ok on the road for 3 years until the MOT came up.
I had to really press them to get a straight answer to the legality question.

I realise that 99% of people are not bothered at all, but it should be possible to get a yes/no answer to a straight question.

lisyloo
05-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Just remember guys NOW ! is the time for a deal,new prices are due to go up any time and the nearer we get to the 1st of march and better weather they wont need to do a deal.They will sell them selves.

Thanks for the warning.
I did notice that Vauxhall and Ford(?) had put up their prices and due to the weakness of sterling, it would not suprise me at all to see the prices of some imported goods rising.

jimbo696
05-02-2009, 01:28 PM
When it comes time for an MOT you can put a sticker over the 'race use only' area and the MOT tester is not allowed to remove the sticker, so they won't fail. Might be an idea to stick the baffles in just fro the MOT..
I think if a cop wanted to he could give you a 'producer' and make you change the cans, not sure on this though...

Re pricing, most of the Euro based mftrs are adjusting their prices....

lisyloo
05-02-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't care about the MOT as it's quite clear the dealers will pass it.
I just wanted to know if it was legal.

I understand I'm in a tiny minority in being bothered about the legality, but I think the dealers ought to be straight when asked a straight question.

jimbo696
05-02-2009, 01:47 PM
I agree; it would bother me if I got stopped and made to take the Termis off!!!!!!

brent elliott
06-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the warning.
I did notice that Vauxhall and Ford(?) had put up their prices and due to the weakness of sterling, it would not suprise me at all to see the prices of some imported goods rising.

I spoke to a one dealer about this who told me they had ordered enough bikes for this year, prior to sterling tumbling against the euro, and therefore they did not see prices going up any time soon. UK interest rates can't get much lower and the eurozone is looking increasingly weak - I can't see the euro staying this strong for too much longer.

lisyloo
07-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Just to update this (and in case anyone else is looking for the same).

I placed my order with Ducati Coventry/JH Performance.

The reasons were

Excellent price with no messing around
Excellent reputation on forums
Will deliver bike
Will collect and deliver to my area for servicing

They were rewarded with a very quick deal.

walpole68
07-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Thats excellent,another one of us doing our best to help the economy !

jimbo696
07-02-2009, 05:01 PM
liisy, congrats, when do you get it??

lisyloo
11-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the interest jimbo.
I'm not sure yet of delivery date yet but it should be around about the 2 week timescale.
I forgot to mention that they are also fitting a few bits and pieces for me for free.
It's only crash bings and a scottoiler but Riders wanted to charge me full price for a couple of hours labour (I did give the salesman my feedback).
So far I'm delighted with JH Performance.
At the moment it's treacherous in my area so it's not exactly pressing.
I was just keen to nail the deal before spring because as someone else mentioned the time for a deal is NOW.

Lucati
11-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Congrats lisyloo! Great choice of bike!

Now I have a quiz for fellow 696 termi owners..... I've got them on mine, the dealer said they were road legal with baffles in and I can't find any stamp or embossing on them saying 'race use only' or anything like that?! I don't doubt they may be a little dodgy (especially as I have drilled my baffles!).
Also I told my insurer (ducati insurance that the bike was fitted with carbon termis and insurance was fine with that)

I'm a bit confused.com!

CK & AK
11-02-2009, 02:32 PM
The only 696 termi's that are road legal are the most expensive Ti ones - the carbon & stainless ones are not, both have 'race use only' (or similar) wording on the band at the start of the can (close to the pipe end, not the outlet end).
The wording can be found on the band tho this is turned to the underneath of the bike/inside edge of each can - but if you bend & look - you can read the wording on the opposite side can.
The s/s & carbon ones are still not road legal with baffles inserted - check out the accessories booklet too for more confirmation.

There are those who may have removed this from the banding......... ;) they are also the ones who are likely to have db killers drilled - or amazingly in their pocket/backpack etc too..........

Lucati
11-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Oops, they fell out officer! And isn't it amazing how they have rusted with perfect 10mm holes all the way along them!?!?:thumbsup:

lisyloo
06-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Well jsut an update.
Bike came on Wednesday, went out for a short spin but not long as I was meant to be working - roll on the weekend :mand:

I am very impressed with Coventry.
The scotoiler is very tidy (they charged me £60 for a touring scotoiler whereas Riders wanted £120).
They also fitted a cable for my optimate and I didn't ask for that.
How many times these days does a company do something useful for free without being asked?

I asked what it would cost to get it transported for servicing and they said nothing if they were picking up other bikes at the same time.

So all in all I'm pretty impressed.

Can't wait for the weekend now :mand:

walpole68
06-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Another Monster in the Wilts area,there are a few of us now,look out for forresterone on his white 696 as he is near you.Enjoy the weekend.

OplayneO
06-03-2009, 05:44 PM
a quick new boy question!!!

i didnt really know what a scotoiler was until recently, is it recommended having one fitted? are there different types? as lisyloo said she went for a touring one? cheers

lisyloo
07-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Opinion is split on the matter.
Some people think you should get up close and personal and sort out the bike yourself on a regular basis.
Others think scottoilers are great.

I'm not mechanically inclined and I'm quite busy so I think it's worth it for me.

The touring one has a reservoir behind the number plate.
I think you get to put 400ml instead of 50ml, so it means you don't even have to refill it very often.

Mine was very difficult to fit apparent on the 696.

You might want to search other sites for opinions e.g. Ducatisti forum.

In the general community people seem to be pro, but in the Ducati community opinion is more split. I think that's because memeber of the Ducati community seem to be inclined towards mechanical tinkering.

OplayneO
07-03-2009, 08:24 AM
thanks for that, i thought the opinion would be split. i will look into it but i do like tinkering a little. :-)

jimbo696
07-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Oilers a re very good if you are commuting or touring.... But checking the chain and sprockets regularly can get forgotten if you have an oiler... I prefer to lube mine every other ride...and then check the chain and tension etc...