PDA

View Full Version : New member.

GS Rod
23-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Hi,

As you can see from my screen name, I have a BMW 1200GS, bought March last year.
I also have a Victory Kingpin 8 Ball that I think I have just sold, and am thinking to replace it with a Monster 1100S, can't decide whether to get it in traditional Red or fashionable White. I must say I think the 848 in White looks stunning. I saw both the colours side by side last week & perhaps the White looked best with the gold forks & wheels, a little less blingy than with the red tank & frame & gold forks & wheels ?? decisions, decisions !!

I have had three other Ducati's over the years, a 900 Superlight, 900 Supersport & a 1000 Multistrada.
(just realised, none of those were red either !)

I am thinking of taking the Monster to the Alps this summer instead of the GS, how well do they tour ?? I like to ride about 250 -300 miles a day. How many miles can you get from a tank until empty ? The GS is fantastic, but a little detached.

Am going to also try the Triumph Speed Triple......but I think I will end up with the Monster.

Pomp1
23-01-2009, 11:48 PM
hi and welcome..once you had a ducati everything else doesn't feel quite the same..the color doesn't really matter as when you're on it is more how it feels,innit? don't know the fuel consumption on the new one but I can get about 100 miles out of my one but I'm a bit of a loon on it..now you're on a monster forum got to get a monster;), so forget about the triple..

jimbo696
24-01-2009, 09:14 AM
GS Rod,
Welcome, do I recognise you from the ducatisti site?? I have a BM that I took touring this year instead of my Multi, says it all I think... Re a 1100, you will find it more of a sports bike than a tourer IMO... No protection at all from the elements and I am not sure how you would carry the luggage!!
But for pure fun it would be a great bike and can cover the distances...but only in decent weather......So, keep the BM for touring, stick a sports exhaust on it... and get the Monster for blattinga round the lanes and ending up with a big grin....

GS Rod
24-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Yes Jimbo, you might have seen me on ducatisti.
As for luggage on the new monster, Ducati make a tank bag, a large tail bag, & panniers that fit on a frame, so that should be more than I need (I don't camp).
You should have taken your Multistrada touring if you went to the mountains, I did two Alps trips on my Multi and it was great.
I've done the sports exhaust bit on my last GS, in fact I did the whole 17" wheel supermoto conversion, it was great.
I am keeping my 08 GS, but want a new experience on my biking holiday this year.
Saw the pictures of your bike with the Termi's, it looks nice.

Jim66a
24-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Hi, I've done a bit of touring on my Monsters over the last few years. Had a blast across Spain last summer 480 miles in a day. parked the bike up, had a shower then headed out for a night on the town, No problems whatsoever. Keep your speed below 100 and 120 miles on a tank is easy BUT Speed and blasting away from lights etc will see you needing fuel at 85 miles. We double up at the pumps for fuel stops. Makes them much quicker with a rest stop every other fuel stop.
I have a DP gel seat and that being lower and combined with a Givi tank bag sits me up just enough so as theres not enough weight on my wrists to make them ache. The heavier stuff goes in a ventura pack sat on the pillion seat.

GS Rod
24-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi, I've done a bit of touring on my Monsters over the last few years. Had a blast across Spain last summer 480 miles in a day. parked the bike up, had a shower then headed out for a night on the town, No problems whatsoever. Keep your speed below 100 and 120 miles on a tank is easy BUT Speed and blasting away from lights etc will see you needing fuel at 85 miles. We double up at the pumps for fuel stops. Makes them much quicker with a rest stop every other fuel stop.
I have a DP gel seat and that being lower and combined with a Givi tank bag sits me up just enough so as theres not enough weight on my wrists to make them ache. The heavier stuff goes in a ventura pack sat on the pillion seat.

Thanks for the info Jim.
I suspect that your bike might be a bit more thirsty than an 1100 as well ?
Also, am I correct in thinking that your bike has higher foot pegs & greater stretch to the bars ?
My 1200GS is amazing in the mountains, you can really make it fly, but I'm always left feeling that just a little uninvolved.