PDA

View Full Version : Brake light - front switch

Catspoon
19-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Yesterday I had the heaters on full blast in the garage, happily whistling away as the 15th coat of wax went on the Monster. The battery was gently bubbling away on a trickle charge and despite the terrible weather outside, all was well in my little world.

Battery back on and she fired instantly. Everything running nice and smooth. Turn her off after 5 minutes and give the bike a once over. The MoT is coming up end of Feb and apart from possibly a new front tyre she looks fine and up for it. Lights work fine, horn good (if a bit cheesy), no leaks from anything, everything is screwed on fine and she looks solid and very clean. Rear brake pings up the back light nice and prompt. Front brake... nothing.

I'm a bit puzzled by this and start to have a rummage. Logic to me says the switch has gone, so off it comes to check for dirt/water/given up on life etc. Once off I give it a go and it works fine under finger pressure. Try adjusting it on the lever then thinks I. Not a chance. It will work after some tiny fiddling followed by 30 repeated grabs on the lever but that's not good for my sanity. The MoT tester will probably not like the idea either.

So I'm thinking the micro switch is probably duff anyway. I discover the part is called SPDT IP67 flying lead lever microswitch, part number 419-697 on RS Components. Price is 2.98 for a pack of 10. Er, don't need that many, so I'll call the dealer tomorrow and ask what portion of a gold bar they want instead.

Anyway, some questions for you all:

Have I missed something? (yes is a probable answer here knowing me ;) )
Has someone already posted about this on here (see above as I'm useless at searching)
Is there a better fix?

Oh, the cambelts are next on my list. I may have a recommendation for someone to use for older Monster owners too in the Midlands after I've popped over for a visit :)

bigfiretruck
19-01-2009, 09:36 PM
i have a similar problem. i have to pull the leaver quite far in to get the break light to work.....

Shandy
19-01-2009, 09:47 PM
You might have done what a mate did, he lost the little rubber thingy, we took mine apart to find out what was wrong with his, might be worth a check. Its part three below..............

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/ducatimonsterdog/Random/PagesfromPagesfromM600-00.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/ducatimonsterdog/Random/PagesfromM600-00.jpg

Cheers,

Shandy

Catspoon
19-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Nice diagram there shandy, thanks for that.

I have the rubber insert, saw it when I was checking out how it work. Seemed to move in/out okayish, maybe it needs freeing up a bit though. I think I'll have a pop at taking it out to inspect it.

Catspoon
31-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Well, popped in to Ducati Wolverhampton this morning. Oil filter, belts, switch, two caps for the neices and a cheap leather keyfob for me. Nice little place and a friendly bunch, so relieving me of my dosh didn't give me the seizure I expected.

Back in the workshop the switch was taken off, disconnected and the new one plumbed in. Bit of DW-40 in the rubber bung, wiggle the lever a few times to get the stuff to work it's way round, then try the replacement out.

Just threw it in, ten seconds to adjust it and it worked fine. So, wired it up properly and that's the only issue for the MoT test next month fixed. I do like jobs that go well. :)

Even took it out for a wobble round the area. Bit cold today, my fingers were numb after only 10 minutes!