PDA

View Full Version : Nice roads in the Loire valley?

Lost Again
13-01-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm pretty sure there's someone on here who lives down that way, and no doubt plenty of people here that have been through that way, so I'm after a little route planning advice.

On the 1st weekend of August I have to head down that way as my brother married a french lass last year. The actual wedding was in England but this coming August they're having a blessing in the town where she grew up for the friends and family that couldn't make it over.
It's possible that I'll be flying over just for the weekend with the girlfriend but ideally we'll be going down on the bike and spending a few days.

The place is Orleans, about 80 miles southwest of Paris. I've been told its either in or near the Loire valley but have no idea myself. Any nice roads, places to visit round there? And any recommended routes down from Calais?

Cheers to anyone that managed to read through that rambling!

mad_turnips
13-01-2009, 12:50 PM
LVC lives that way i think

stef
13-01-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm pretty sure there's someone on here who lives down that way, and no doubt plenty of people here that have been through that way, so I'm after a little route planning advice.

On the 1st weekend of August I have to head down that way as my brother married a french lass last year. The actual wedding was in England but this coming August they're having a blessing in the town where she grew up for the friends and family that couldn't make it over.
It's possible that I'll be flying over just for the weekend with the girlfriend but ideally we'll be going down on the bike and spending a few days.

The place is Orleans, about 80 miles southwest of Paris. I've been told its either in or near the Loire valley but have no idea myself. Any nice roads, places to visit round there? And any recommended routes down from Calais?

Cheers to anyone that managed to read through that rambling!

it's not really near the loire valley, as such.
fair enough, the loire goes through orleans.
i beleive what is traditionaly called the Loire valley (with the wines, castles and stuff) really starts between anger (grrrrr) and tour and extends westwards.
but yep, LVM lives their..
if you go through caen (normandy), that's where i live.

nambduke
13-01-2009, 05:13 PM
......numerous good roads that follow the Loire. The roads that run parallel to the Loire (on both sides) between Samur/Tours and beyond are quite nice with long sweeping bends. Have spent many holidays in the Loire Valley and would recommend it to anyone who like wine, food and usually good weather in the summer.

LVC is always keen to try and meet up with travelling UKMOC members.....drop him a PM!

Regards,
Mark

Jim66a
13-01-2009, 07:25 PM
We went down to Magny cours to watch JT take his world championship. You may have seen us in our Toseland tee shirts on the tv. Anyway, we headed to Rouen from calais then on to Evreux and Dreux. Then down to Chartres and on to Orleans. Was a great trip with lovely mix of fast roads sweeping through the countryside and through some gorgeous towns. We motorwayed back which was no fun but quicker.