PDA

View Full Version : Have I gone to far?

fatbloke
11-01-2009, 07:15 PM
My Multistrada is in hospital at the moment having a Turbo fitted (no I'm not joking)
current estimates are 145 to 150 BHP at the rear wheel do I need more power to
haul my huge self about?

Nickj
11-01-2009, 07:23 PM
All those horses add the potential for future expansion :eek:

Gilps
11-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Stop putting yourself down all the time Terry. I would have thought that 130 would have been sufficient for the job.:spin:

Bodybag
11-01-2009, 07:40 PM
There's always a requirement for more power. Whether there's a need for more power though is a different matter!! :D

slob
11-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Probably, this BHP competition you have going with the owner of your last monster is out of hand.
Whatever you weigh, you're no slouch on the back roads.

but... (there's always a 'but') If it floats your boat, go for it!

ps. The resultant MPG will suck as much as the turbo does!

Rogerg
11-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Bloody hell terence, just how much weight did you put on over xmas?

ricky
11-01-2009, 08:11 PM
i say get a bigger turbo and eat more! life is good!!! :thumbsup:

Pedro
11-01-2009, 08:34 PM
top work fella!

That'll be the fastest armchair about!

Dave G
11-01-2009, 09:32 PM
I thought turbos were not a great idea on a bike, lag and all that, better with a supercharger.
Or am I thinking of old fashioned turbos ? :)
I would like to see what you've done with it though.:biggrin:

singletrack
12-01-2009, 08:24 AM
140 bhp - might just be enough to get you to the nearest cafe Terry!

I'm waiting for the supercharger for my Hyper :shocked: - no turbo lag.

giler
12-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Fantastic! Can't wait to see the result.

jimbo696
12-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Lets see some pics when it is done??

barbican
12-01-2009, 10:00 AM
The midrange torque should be amazing, so do post up the dyno charts when you've got it done. Are you upgrading the brakes, or fitting a parachute?

Lost Again
12-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Not at all!! That just sounds like good fun.

Having bought a Blackbird back in June to go round Europe and then use as my everyday bike that sort of power is massively entertaining. Unfortunately with the 'bird you're into silly territory before it really gets into it's stride. That sort of power from a 2v air-cooled twin in a much lighter bike will give mucho grin factor!!!

Can I ask who's doing it, and is it a kit that someones started doing or a one off? I've done a lot of searching in the past and all I can come up with is that PTS (I think) made about a dozen kits for the 900 many years ago but they never ran that well without a lot of fiddling.

If it's a 1 off, which I'm presuming, what turbo did you go for? If you can give away secrets that is!

Sorry for all the questions. One day I'll have me a turbo'd 1100 block.... (when I get a better paid job)

pegboy
12-01-2009, 11:10 AM
I have got no hope in hell in keeping up with you now. Keen on seeing the finished product, when will it be ready?

fatbloke
12-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Not at all!! That just sounds like good fun.

Having bought a Blackbird back in June to go round Europe and then use as my everyday bike that sort of power is massively entertaining. Unfortunately with the 'bird you're into silly territory before it really gets into it's stride. That sort of power from a 2v air-cooled twin in a much lighter bike will give mucho grin factor!!!

Can I ask who's doing it, and is it a kit that someones started doing or a one off? I've done a lot of searching in the past and all I can come up with is that PTS (I think) made about a dozen kits for the 900 many years ago but they never ran that well without a lot of fiddling.

If it's a 1 off, which I'm presuming, what turbo did you go for? If you can give away secrets that is!

Sorry for all the questions. One day I'll have me a turbo'd 1100 block.... (when I get a better paid job)

so many questions
Dave Wood is doing the Job
Its a one off no kit
Turbo is being built as a one off
Should be finished end of Feb

Diego
12-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Good on you m8. Result should be great!

Blah blah
12-01-2009, 12:42 PM
A turbo should turn it into a bit of a Monster....hehehe...

I'll get me coat

Shandy
12-01-2009, 12:49 PM
A diet would probably have been cheaper to get more out of the bike.............lol :spin:

Still can't wait to see it though :thumbsup:

Are you going to fit one of those do da's that makes it hiss everytime you change gear, please don't there a bit :gay:

Cheers,

Shandy

dunlop0_1
12-01-2009, 07:04 PM
I work in a Triumph dealers now and we have just had a Rocket 3 supercharged by TTS.
Dyno shows 220 BHP at back wheel and 201 ftlbs of torque. I really don't want to ride it as it spins up the back wheel in the dry and the torque is around four times greater my 748.
Some loon will buy it.............LOL.

Nickj
12-01-2009, 07:41 PM
I thought turbos were not a great idea on a bike, lag and all that, better with a supercharger.
Or am I thinking of old fashioned turbos ? :)
I would like to see what you've done with it though.:biggrin:

That was when they were fitting turbos designed for a car that displaced more cc's with a different rev range. Lag is caused by the turbo being too big and not spinning up fast enough, big engine = slower speed gas flows usually so needed a bigger diameter. Bike flows less volume so a smaller diameter was needed.
There's much more choice on off the shelf turbo size around these days, mainly as theres more of those dinky engined cars around...
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/products/turbochargers.html
A 1241 would be about the right size

JMo
12-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I know we all love Terry, but I can't help but think of the phrase "You can't polish a turd..."

Still, if it paves the way for fitting a turbo onto something prettier with that engine, then all hail the fat man!

Toot toot!

xxx

Blah blah
13-01-2009, 09:09 PM
I know we all love Terry, but I can't help but think of the phrase "You can't polish a turd..."

xxx

But you can roll them in glitter and all sorts of shiny stuff sticks...:mand:

JMo
14-01-2009, 12:44 AM
But you can roll them in glitter and all sorts of shiny stuff sticks...:mand:

Just make sure you wear gloves!

xxx

Didge
14-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Terry, you shoulda just slotted an old Foden engine in there. It wouldn't be very fast, but it would move yer tubby self with no effort.:)

grunter
15-01-2009, 11:11 PM
leathers?rubbers?