PDA

View Full Version : 696 bar dimensions?

jimbo696
10-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Does anyone know the dimensions of the hanldebars on the 696? I am hopig to get a set of handguards that say the following...
"fitting kit for 22.2mm (7/8") Handlebars and both 14mm bar ends"

The chap does not know if they will fit??
Am I right that the bar dimension are 25mm? What would the 14mm bar ends bit be?

Trent
11-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Handlebars originally came in 7/8" size - this has been the std size for years.
The bars outside diameter is the same size along the whole length of the bar.

If you were buying handguards for these bars, you would get the 7/8" fitting kit.

In the last few years, some bikes have had larger size bars fitted (sometimes called "Fat Bars"). They were originally fitted to dirt bikes because they're stronger than the 7/8" size and don't bend when you fall off.
They also look kinda cool, so some manufacturers have started fitting them to road bikes.
(I think some of the latest Ducati models have fat bars - Multi, Hyper and some Monsters)

The Fat Bars are 1" in diameter where they bolt to the triple clamp, then they taper down to the normal 7/8" bar at the grip ends.

If you were buying handguards for these bars, you would need the 1" fitting kit.

This pic shows part of a fitting kit for Acerbis guards - Note that there's a half round cutout where the clamp fits to the bars - obviously if you have 1" bars, then this cutout would have to be much bigger to fit over the bars.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/300/2005_Acerbis_Rally_2-Rally_Pro-Multiple_Handguard_Mounting_Kit_--.jpg

What would the 14mm bar ends bit be?

Normally when fitting handguards you fit some sort of expanding bolt system into the inside of the end of the bars - When you do the bolt up, the expansion system grips the inside of the bar and holds the grip end of the handguard in place.

The 14mm that he's talking about is this part - I don't think they make different size expansion bolts, so that end should be OK no matter which kit you get (although it might pay to check the inside diameter of your bar ends to make sure it will take the 14mm bolt system.

Here is a pic of the Acerbis system for the end of the bar
http://www.acerbis.it/files/catalog/products/thumbs/medium/111.JPG

So... now you know all there is to know about handguard fitting systems... Your only problem now is to decide if your bike has std bars, or Fat Bars.
You should be able to measure the OD of the bars where they bolt to the triple clamp to figure that out.

Am I right that the bar dimension are 25mm?

If you have measured the bars at 25mm, then you have the oversize bars, and need the oversize fitting kit - the 7/8" one won't work.

jimbo696
11-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Thank you Trent for a comprehensive reply.. I will measure the diameter of the bars, but I think the 696 has 25mm...