PDA

View Full Version : 620ie front paddock stand recommendations

emily's driver
05-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Can anyone recommend a good front paddock stand for the Monster 620ie. As Nonnie's (and mine) bike is in winter storage, I wanted one that would take the weight off the front wheel as it is likely to sit in the same place for a while during the next few months until the weather improves and I didn't like the idea of of the tyre being deformed solely in one spot under the weight of the bike. I would preferably want one that locates under the bottom yoke, so that the front wheel is easier to remove or failing that one that locates on the fork legs. I know FG do paddock stands for Ducatis (and have done for some time...they are on my 1098) but what recommendations does anyone have....makes, models, price etc.

bigredduke
05-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Can anyone recommend a good front paddock stand for the Monster 620ie. As Nonnie's (and mine) bike is in winter storage, I wanted one that would take the weight off the front wheel as it is likely to sit in the same place for a while during the next few months until the weather improves and I didn't like the idea of of the tyre being deformed solely in one spot under the weight of the bike. I would preferably want one that locates under the bottom yoke, so that the front wheel is easier to remove or failing that one that locates on the fork legs. I know FG do paddock stands for Ducatis (and have done for some time...they are on my 1098) but what recommendations does anyone have....makes, models, price etc.

I don't know if the 620 differs from my S4R front fork-wise, but I bought a Harris performance front stand at the bike show last year and it's brilliant. It's made of stainless steel and is really well made. I think they are about £60. I'll post some pics tomorrow

CK & AK
05-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Rod, check out the Bike-it ones, we have one for the M800's which was used for the 620.
Cost about £50 retail if i recall right.
However, cant find it on their site :(

This is the same tho: http://www.roadtrackandtrial.co.uk/universal-under-yoke-front-paddock-stand-299-p.asp

C:)

Pedro
05-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Mmm, I've got both Harris and Bike It front stands and the Bike it one is sh*te if you ask me (but I did get it cheap..!).

The Harris stands are pricey by very good - and if you're really bored you could always polish the stainless!

JMo
06-01-2009, 05:29 AM
I agree with BigFatDuke and Pedro - I also have the Harris Performance one and it seems to be the best quality for the money...

xxx

Gilps
06-01-2009, 06:53 AM
I use the Bike it one and had no problems. For the 620 you will need to also buy a diferent pin. IIRC it's 27mm. It doesn't come with it as standard.
Here's a link
http://www.bikeit.co.uk/lifts_product.asp?ID=41
I've had no problems with mine and it has worked well. What I would say is be careful on the mudguard. It's easy to scratch the top of it when inserting the stand if you are not careful, particularly if there is a lot of sag or little preload. In that situation I remove the mudguard first.

bigredduke
06-01-2009, 07:54 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e171/bigredduke/harris2.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e171/bigredduke/P1010011.jpg

CK & AK
06-01-2009, 08:28 PM
We have one of those too bigredduke - but what Rod is looking for, is the under yoke one - and like Gilps we havent had probs in using ours very regularly when racing or at home :)

emily's driver
07-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I will look into both options, now I know what is available.

emily's driver
07-01-2009, 03:19 PM
I don't know if the 620 differs from my S4R front fork-wise, but I bought a Harris performance front stand at the bike show last year and it's brilliant. It's made of stainless steel and is really well made. I think they are about £60. I'll post some pics tomorrow

Thanks for the pics. Looks to be of a reasonable quality. Do the U shaped side plates have two supporting pins on each side? I can see the rear one under the fork leg but not the front one.

JMo
07-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the pics. Looks to be of a reasonable quality. Do the U shaped side plates have two supporting pins on each side? I can see the rear one under the fork leg but not the front one.

Yes, there are two pins on each plate - one sits under the fork bottom, and one behind the back of the fork leg...

xxx

aceg3905
16-01-2009, 11:26 AM
tagging onto this im looking for a rear paddock stand for my 03 1000 s ie, ive got no idea as im new to all this, but I really dont want to fit bobbins, could someone more in the know recommend something to me ;)

thanks in advance :D

jimbo696
16-01-2009, 11:49 AM
I am looking at a plate one from M&P... It sits on the floor and has rollers that allow you to lube the chain etc, and you keep the bike on the side stand...Depends what you need it for?

aceg3905
16-01-2009, 11:53 AM
exactly that so plate type paddock stands would fit my needs then ;)

was looking at the following on the bay but wasnt sure if they was suitable or not

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160309233109

jimbo696
16-01-2009, 12:33 PM
If it is just to lube chain then the 'plate' one would do the job; it can also be used on the front or rear... If you have a bike that does not have a rear grab rail it can be a bu**er to get on & off of a traditional paddock stand..
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/558438/Workshop/Paddock-Stands/Lasertec

JMo
16-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Surely the point is to be able to remove the wheels too though?

I'd go for the Micron rear stand - big chunky tubing and you can get it with rubber cups (for the swing arm) or bobbin plates (in fact both might come in the box?)

The Micron is about £35-40, in red, gunmetal (nice x) or purple (not so nice)... it's worth the extra tenner or so over the cheapy ones you get at the BMF show etc. You could quite happily sit on the bike with it up on the Micron stand...

xxx

Gilps
16-01-2009, 05:08 PM
The Micron is about £35-40, in red, gunmetal (nice x) or purple (not so nice)... it's worth the extra tenner or so over the cheapy ones you get at the BMF show etc. You could quite happily sit on the bike with it up on the Micron stand...

Don't knock the PURPLE. It's obviously not as popular as M&P were doing a package deal on the front and rear together for £45 a while back. They are very good for the money, and yes you can sit on the bike whilst on the stand, although I usually feel happier when stood up.

jimbo696
17-01-2009, 08:21 AM
45 for both even in purple is a great deal...
Personally I do not think I would take the wheels off of my bike.... The only problem with the paddock stand is what do you hold on to on the bike(696) while you are putting it on the stand???

BluprintZ
17-01-2009, 03:02 PM
I bought this one last year from the local bike shop for£37.
I forget what make it is, although it does a decent job, as the pic shows.
I was a bit nervous the first time i used it but i soon got used to it.
I just position the plates onto the lugs on the swingarm, hold the handle under the tail cover, then push the stand down with my right foot, works for me.

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t336/BluprintZmusic/Bike/rear-off.jpg

jimbo696
18-01-2009, 08:46 AM
I have seen those in my local bike shop; so is the quality OK??

BluprintZ
18-01-2009, 09:54 AM
I have seen those in my local bike shop; so is the quality OK??

Seems to be quite solid Jim, probably a bit heavier than i expected, although that's not such a bad thing.
The handle is a twist and lock affair, like a trolley jack, so you can push the handle out of the way whilst working on the bike.
Definately worth the money imo.

jimbo696
18-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Thank you...