PDA

View Full Version : should my pods

gremlin
28-12-2008, 03:53 PM
have holes in ?
i have noticed that apart from the pipe inlets, i have other holes in my pods (about 10mm in diameter) , is this right ?
i also have a pipe coming from the centre of the carbs (just above the fuel inlet) that i cannot find a home for. i remember when i got the bike the pipe was just hanging and i asked the same question then and if i remember correctly it just hangs there, but i found a home for it by shoving it in the "spare hole" in the right side pod and it solved a lot of my starting problems, so it would lead me to believe that the right had pod should have two pipe inlets, and mine has one snapped off...... possibly :dizzy::dizzy:
am i barking up the wrong tree ???................. or just barking :freak::freak: :biggrin:

Mr G

Capo
28-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Pods ?? :confused: Do you have a pic

gremlin
28-12-2008, 05:53 PM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j82/spankey666/P1000582600x450.jpg

dunlop0_1
29-12-2008, 08:53 AM
I took them off and fastened the breather pipes pointing downwards. Better look IMO.

Neil.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/dunlop0_1/IM001212-1.jpg

gremlin
29-12-2008, 04:47 PM
thanks, but not the answer im looking for, want to make sure all is correct before i take the bike for a dyno run.

Mand
29-12-2008, 05:17 PM
A dyno run!!?! Quite frankly, you are doing well if it manages to turn the rollers!

Mand with a 620 and just glad I can get over 70mph....

gremlin
29-12-2008, 06:35 PM
I have a friend who owns his own dyno and who owes me a few favours. since putting the bike back together and fitting the termi's it is running a bit rough. but i want to make sure all the hoses are in the right places first. haynes and ducati manuals arent very helpful, i thought the forum might be different....:banghead::banghead:

Mr G

slob
29-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Try dropping a PM to shandy or stef, both removed their pods, so should both have a fairly good idea of what the hoses were meant to be doing in the first place.

dunlop0_1
29-12-2008, 06:45 PM
The pipes are just breathers and the pods just serve as catchers for any possible overflow. I had something similar on my Enfield and did away with that to. I am sure that the pipes location would not have effect on how the bike runs or the outcome of a dyno. Louise's 750 has been running without pods for 2 years now with no ill effects or overflow.

gremlin
29-12-2008, 07:14 PM
from what i can make out, they are not an overflow chamber, but a chamber to balance out the "putt putt" effect within the carb bodies . i doubt wether ducati went to all the trouble of designing and manufacture if they serve no purpose. but again dont doubt what you have said about your own bike.
maybe my first question was a bit obscure, the problems i experienced when we first got the bike were that when the bike was left standing for a couple of days, it was a pig to start . it looked as though the petrol in the carbs was evapourating within a relativly short period. as we got the bike as a "bearly" running machine, all of the hoses etc were not fitted, we were handed a box of bits and left to our own devices.
what i found was that by shoving the pipe fitted to a "T" just above the fuel inlet on the carbs (possibly an overflow) into one of the previously mentioned holes in the right hand pod solved the evapouration problem and the bike started first time every time even when left standing for weeks. my concern is that "just stuffing" a hose into a spare hole is a bit mickey mouse, and want to know if it is supposed to go there in the first place, if it is, then the fitting it fitted to must be broken, if not, then where the hell does it go ??? after spending all this time and money tarting the bike up, i would hate to think i have bodged something. just wanna get it right . obviously the fuelling is going to be out, as i have gone from standard pipes to open termis. so i guess if i dont get the fueling sorted, i might be looking at a bit of valve changing....

Capo
29-12-2008, 07:53 PM
What year is your 600?

gremlin
29-12-2008, 08:06 PM
its a 95 model

Dookbob
29-12-2008, 08:22 PM
The pods are just vent chambers, or collectors. The vent pipes should be connected to them (even if they do look better removed) reason being that if you are unlucky in choosing a place to secure the vent pipes out of the way, it,s possible to create an airflow accross the ends of these pipes at certain speeds, resulting in false float chamber fuel levels and other pressure differentials in the carbs. Putting the vent pipes into the "pods" shields the ends from the airflow. Having said that , it beats me how connecting the vent pipe that you mentioned solved your evaporation problem. I had the same starting problem with mine, but only in the warm weather, it was OK in the winter. I fitted a manual fuel tap to sort it in the summer.
Regards Dookbob

Pedro
29-12-2008, 08:29 PM
from what i can make out, they are not an overflow chamber, but a chamber to balance out the "putt putt" effect within the carb bodies . i doubt wether ducati went to all the trouble of designing and manufacture if they serve no purpose. but again dont doubt what you have said about your own bike.
maybe my first question was a bit obscure, the problems i experienced when we first got the bike were that when the bike was left standing for a couple of days, it was a pig to start . it looked as though the petrol in the carbs was evapourating within a relativly short period. as we got the bike as a "bearly" running machine, all of the hoses etc were not fitted, we were handed a box of bits and left to our own devices.
what i found was that by shoving the pipe fitted to a "T" just above the fuel inlet on the carbs (possibly an overflow) into one of the previously mentioned holes in the right hand pod solved the evapouration problem and the bike started first time every time even when left standing for weeks. my concern is that "just stuffing" a hose into a spare hole is a bit mickey mouse, and want to know if it is supposed to go there in the first place, if it is, then the fitting it fitted to must be broken, if not, then where the hell does it go ??? after spending all this time and money tarting the bike up, i would hate to think i have bodged something. just wanna get it right . obviously the fuelling is going to be out, as i have gone from standard pipes to open termis. so i guess if i dont get the fueling sorted, i might be looking at a bit of valve changing....

The pods serve as breather pipe tanks in a similar way to the one under the seat for the crankcase breather and allow the pressure in the float bowls to equalise. The pipes running to them are, from memory, a fuel overflow from the carbs and breathers from the float bowls. They serve little purpose other than somewhere tidy to run the pipes. You can safely remove them without having running issues - just run the pipes somewhere tidy. From memory also, the pipes do just fit through holes in the pods, no specific fittings.

If the bike is a pig to start it may be due to knackered emulsion tubes in the carbs - the needles wear them oval. If you're going to the trouble of running it up on a dyno, I'd fit a Dynojet kit first with some new emulsion tubes in the carbs - Jules 600 has a stage 3 kit, open airbox & K&N and unbaffled Leo Vince cans and makes a healthy 52hp at the rear wheel with nice clean power & torque curves. I fitted the kit and set up was as per the instructions and is just about spot on.

You may also want to have a look at the vacuum fuel cut off prior to the carbs, if this is working properly then the carbs won't fill quickly after leaving it standing

Pedro
29-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Dookbob makes a good point about routing the pipes, if you are going to take the pods off, make sure the pipe ends are protected from strong airflows that would create a vacuum

gremlin
29-12-2008, 09:10 PM
thanks, i have found my answer, the two "expansion pipes" just fit into the right hand pod, ie the pipes just fit into the holes, these are to balance out the pressure waves within the carbs, the "over flow" pipe (the one just above the fuel inlet) fits to a nipple on the left hand pod , which doesnt have any holes in and gives some where fo the fuel in the float chambers to expand to when the engine isnt running and is hot, if left disconnected would cause the evapouration issues ive mentioned.
thanks for you time in responding

Mr G

dunlop0_1
30-12-2008, 03:35 AM
As Pedro said,

You may also want to have a look at the vacuum fuel cut off prior to the carbs, if this isnt working properly then the carbs won't fill quickly after leaving it standing

Happy days eh...............

gremlin
30-12-2008, 09:04 AM
that was something we checked first when we got the bike, and bypassed it initially. what we eventually found, was that when the carb bowls were dry, there wasnt enough vacuum created on the inlet manifolds to open the fuel valve, or to operate the fuel pumpwhen the engine was being cranked on the starter. in order to get the valve and pump to work & allow fuel into the carbs, the engine had to be running. i acheived this by using easystart or a squirt of petrol on the air filter, now i use a big fat syringe and force petrol down the fuel line if i take anything to bits. but getting back to the initial problem, the best action would be to stop the carbs drying up when the bike is left standing, hence my queery about correctly connecting up the pods which solved the problem, even though i had connected the so called overflow pipe to the wrong pod, i just wasnt sure about just "stuffing" pipes into holes on the r/h hand pod, but this is how ducati made it to be.

Mr G

lcjohnny
30-12-2008, 10:38 PM
When I dumped the pods on my bike it made no difference at all having those breathers dangling (in a tidy way of course :freak:) either starting or at any speed.

Looking at the theory - the air behind the headstock is turbulent and I guesstimate that the pressure result of that turbulence at the end of the float chamber breather is likely to be v close to whatever it is at the carb inlet around the pod filters - and that is all that the carb needs

So picking up on the fac that you have a prob when starting and after the bike is left I would suggest that all of the probs arise from a dodgy vacuum tap or vacuum pipe from the manifold.

My vacuum tap was poor the other way (leaking fuel) so I dumped it - replaced it with a proper fuel tap on the right in front of the vertical belt cover. This leaves space for a quick release in the fuel pipe under the tank so you can a) remove the tank easily & b) change fuel filters easily.

So far it seems that with the tapleft on for a week the float needles alone stop leakage even when the tank is full and the bike is on the side stand.

I guess that is because the tank is so low compared to the carbs that it does not really need a tap as well as a pump.:scratch:

Jon G

gremlin
30-12-2008, 11:42 PM
the problem was with the carbs drying up, once i had figured out where the various hoses were supposed to go (albeit i got a couple around the wrong way and it was all guess work) the problem was solved, nothing to do with the fuel tap as i had bypassed it. and ever since it has started on the button every time (except for the occasional electrical gremlin) and that was over a year ago . it was that since the strip down and re-build of the bike the problem re-occured, this was due to the fact that i couldnt remember what i originally did with the "overflow" pipe from the carbs as this is an open vent to the float bowls, so i just left it dangling. i have now got it correctly fitted to the left hand pod and tonight the bike started great. i was just unsure if the r/h pod should have had proper connections for the other two breathers, as it turns out there are just 2 holes for the pipes to be shoved into.

PC Myers
06-02-2009, 02:33 PM
I agree with Pedro! Check this out too http://www.ducatisuite.com/pods.html

Albie
14-09-2015, 08:10 PM
I have a question about why the right hand pod has 4 holes in it. Only 2 pipes go in. Maybe the breather needs to breathe right !:chuckle::idea:

Kato
15-09-2015, 07:19 AM
While I don't doubt for a second that fitting the pipes correctly has cured the problem you encountered ........for now

That is deffinately not the answer

I suspect the problem lies firmly with the fuel system and would bet heavily that the fuel is not eveaporating leaving the floatbowls dry but is in fact syphoning off into the engine due mostley to a leak in your vaccume system.

As has already been said those carb's will be worn (they all are) so new Em/tubes are a given, (Fatory Pro or Dynojet make them out of better material tat does not wear) while doing that replace the float valves (thats where the fuel is going) having to use your syringe trick points to the leak in the system so replace all the old vaccume hoses and open up the pump and check the diaphram, rebuild kits are available lastly check the fuelcock although as the carbs are dry my guess is that is OK