PDA

View Full Version : Painting rear hugger & teat tray

Seb_uk
18-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Hi Guys

I'm thinking about getting my rear hugger/chain guard & tea tray painted gloss black to match the rest of the bike as I've never really liked the rather cheap looking standard finish. I was thinking about replacing them with carbon items, but am a bit strapped for cash (Xmas, etc......)

Does anyone know if this can be done and if so if it is likely to be expensive? Also any recommendations about where to go would be greatly appreciated. I guess I could attempt to paint them myself, but don't want to risk making a mess of it!

Thanks

Capo
18-12-2008, 11:58 AM
These guys are very experienced in painting plastics, ask for Martin.

http://sudden-impactuk.com/

Seb_uk
18-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Cheers Capo - they're not too far from where I work either. Will give them a call.

pegboy
18-12-2008, 02:06 PM
I painted mine on my bike with the normal areosol car paints, gloss black, it's all in the prep work for which the hugger i didn't do allot to, but still they came out pretty good, take your time don'tt rush, prepare the part carefully, prime and light wet rubs inbetween until you have a nice finish with the colour of your choice.

I have attached pictures for you to see

Seb_uk
19-12-2008, 06:55 AM
That looks pretty good - you've done a good job.
Not sure if I have the skill or patience to do my hugger to that standard though...

Will give sudden impact a call & see roughly how much it will cost to get done. If it is too pricey will give some thought to doing it myself. I may have to wait until the spring though as will have to spray it outdoors!

gary tompkins
20-12-2008, 11:51 AM
The key to a good finish is in the preperation. Make sure all traces of oil and greas are removed, and use a primer designed for flexible plastics. You also need a warm, dry & dust free area to paint in, something most DIY garages would fall short of in December. Halford used to sell grey primer for painting car bumpers/mirrors etc.. in aerosols, but not sure if it's still available?

Pomp1
06-01-2009, 05:22 PM
ok,clean and degrease,rub down with 240 then 400 grit,prime ,rub down with 400 then 800,coat,1200,coat,1200,coat,1200,coat,lacquer.I normally use Halfords primer and Montana cans(Graffiti stuff,brilliant colors,huge selection and low pressure),price about a fiver a can.if you're using different brands I'll check that they don't react with each other first.I'll stay away from Halfords actual color as they're bad,very runny and not enough in a can.Preparation is everything,take your time,stand back and admire.

JMo
06-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Or just chop the tail and remove the hugger...

Hardcore!

xxx

CK & AK
06-01-2009, 08:29 PM
and subsequently get a wet back & a grubby bike down under..... :p

JMo
06-01-2009, 08:38 PM
and subsequently get a wet back & a grubby bike down under..... :p

Ah, but what price style?!

(from what I see on here, most of the MOCers have put their bikes away for the winter anyway, and are playing video games... xx)