PDA

View Full Version : Need some help pointing me in the right direction

Johan
11-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Hi Guys

I have recently bought a pair of cored out standard cans which sounds fantastic but it’s time to get a bit more hp out of my S2R 800… What is the easiest way of increasing the power slightly? I’m not very technical but have heard a lot of talk about calibrating the ECU, air filter, putting on a power commander etc. Do you have any recommendations how I, with limited cost, can tune up the engine slightly (or at least make sure it performs as it should with the new cans)? (i still have the cat converter on)

I live in central London, do you have any place to recommend I can go and have the work done or buy the necessary parts?

Cheers

slob
11-12-2008, 10:12 AM
A Power Commander will allow you to smooth out the power delivery properly.
A high flow filter/open airbox may gain you a small %age increase (typically up to about 5% in conjunction with open pipes)
Give Ray a call at Rosso Corse, in Bethnal Green.
http://www.rossocorse.co.uk
ray at rossocorse dot co dot uk
020 7780 9764

PDL
11-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Learn to brake later for corners and lose weight.

Two easiest ways to get the bike moving faster - point to point.

J.P
11-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Drop that Catalytic converter off the bike, it's heavy and slows the air-flow out the exhaust.
The problem then is that you have to buy additional manifold link pipes.
There's never an easy and cheap way of doing things...

CK & AK
11-12-2008, 12:00 PM
As mentioned - lose the cat :gay: & get a PC :)

JerryXt
11-12-2008, 01:49 PM
won't the cored cans lean out the fuel like a set of race cans would? In that case, you'd need a pc to go with the new cans.

Def lose the cat tho - you won't believe how much they weigh. Do a sreach for cat replacement pipes.

slob
11-12-2008, 03:22 PM
You can adjust the stock ECU to compensate for a change in cans but it'll leave a somewhat wobbly torque/power curve (ie flatspots and less than optimal throttle response) the PC will allow this to be rectified. Pretty much all standard exhausts are a performace bodge to meet emissions regs.
As PDL says, losing weight and improving braking is key... sorting suspension first is also good since if the tyres don't have reliable contact with tarmac, brakes and power do you no good.

PDL
11-12-2008, 04:13 PM
The S2R has plenty under the curve already, are you telling me you are riding it to it's limits! If so then do as Slob suggests - improve the susp and brakes, you will get point to point riding quicker and smother.

CK & AK
11-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Lightened fly wheel
gas flow the heads
polished cams
lightened rods
Power commander -and dont use a std programme - get it set up for your bike on a dyno

lots more you can do to the engine... ask AK, he's done a fair bit to our 800's....

apart from fitting far better suspension & brakes - means the little things can fly quite well - keeping up in fast group of TD's, one of them putting in times in races that would put it regularly in the top 10 in a bigger cc'd class!

C :)

Johan
11-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks guys, excellent, very grateful for everyones advice!
I'm going to lose the cat, get a different air filter and a PC... Thanks Slob for pointing me towards Rosso Corse.
In terms of losing weight...new diet starts now ehrm :booze:

wade749
16-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Just picked my S2R800 up from Moto-Rapido last friday ( I'm proud to be a monster owner and love the bike) and I can honestly say that the best advice given here is to sort the brakes and suspension.
I've taken my 749S off the road for the winter now but if I want to go faster I'll save it for the 749 as it's got the brakes and handling to match the power.
I agree with wanting to make the Monster sound better as the stock system sounds crap and I'll be throwing a Termi on after Christmas, but only to make it sound and look better.

Has anyone re-worked the standard forks? ie.. stiffer/progressive springs or oil level/weight. Having no adjustments on the forks really limits your options.