PDA

View Full Version : ride height on s4r

geeman
07-12-2008, 10:19 PM
I want to increase the ride height on my s4r, theres no problem with its handling, its just I'm 6' tall and the bike just feels a bit low.

The shock absorber preloaded spring standard length 172mm and the shock absorber linkage arm standard length is 261mm between joint centres

Do i need to adjust both of these, one of these and how will this effect handling????

Anybody done this or any recommendations?

Pedro
07-12-2008, 10:50 PM
You'll need an adjustable link rod for the rear end.

Bear in mind though if you lift just the back end it will steepen the steering head angle and make the bike turn much more quickly and be more prone to tank slapping (a damper will sort this!). Ideally if you think the seat height is low, then you should drop the forks through the yokes by the same amount as you raise the rear so the geometry is unaffected (unless you want sharper steering). You may then find the side stand is a little short!

geeman
07-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Is the standard link rod not adjustable, if not are adjustable ones easy to get hold of?

Gilps
08-12-2008, 02:28 AM
Yes it is adjustable. There's a lock nut on either end. One end is clockwise and the other one is counter clockwise. It's all in the manual.

slob
08-12-2008, 06:05 AM
As Gilps says the link rod is anti-clockwise one end (marked with 'cuts' in the locknut) and clockwise the other. You loosen both locknuts and turn the rod itself to adjust ride height. Then retighten the locknuts. Apart from quickening the steering, this will only increase the seat height, it won't change the distance from the seat to the footpegs.

ricky
08-12-2008, 06:31 AM
im only used to making ride height lower :idea:but surely if you put more air in the tyres it would work???:thumbsup: (sorry im in good form this mornin!!!:drunk:)

Capo
08-12-2008, 11:42 AM
I want to increase the ride height on my s4r, theres no problem with its handling, its just I'm 6' tall and the bike just feels a bit low.

The shock absorber preloaded spring standard length 172mm and the shock absorber linkage arm standard length is 261mm between joint centres

Do i need to adjust both of these, one of these and how will this effect handling????

Anybody done this or any recommendations?

The 261mm figure is wrong, the 'as supplied & fitted' length is 273mm, the absolute minimum length is 270mm and can be lengthened to 285mm.

You may find it difficult to loosen the locknuts and turn the 'turnbuckle' with the rod on the bike. Mine was hard to break loose even when secured in a vice. Pack the threads well with anti sieze grease.

Some good info here on other factors that affect ride height: http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=13421.0

geeman
08-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Cheers capo, interesting link