PDA

View Full Version : Not a very nice day at the NEC show!

BluprintZ
04-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Me and a couple of mates went to the show in a car, `cos it was hammering it down here in Bangor when we set off at 8.00.am.
Got towards Chester and the sun and a clear sky appeared, although the sun reflecting off the wet roads gave me one heck of a headache, i hadn't had much sleep the night `afore, so i had a bit of a thick head when i woke up at 7.00.am.
Arrived at 11.30.am, still with a crappy headache and my feet were killing me, because i decided to wear my new Monkey boots (remember them?) instead of my para boots, because they were still covered in paint splashes, from painting the workshop floor earlier on in the week, i knew i should have cleaned them!
So, it wasn't very nice walking around the show with me tootsies hurtin' like mad, so i got a butty and a brew and sat down next to the Ducati stand.
One of the things i wanted to get at the show, was a set of renthal drag bars for the 900 re-build (hence the painting of the workshop floor, nice and clean).
Unfortunately, renthal didn't have a stand at the show, boo, hoo, so i didn't get me bars!
Did see/hear James Toseland singing his heart out and playing his joana, Chris Walker was also there and a couple of other big names who i can't remember at the mo, `cos i'm knackered.
I ended up buying a Corse' cap, just to console meself from not getting the bars.
I think the Stafford show is probably a better one, there were some nice bikes at the NEC, the streetfighter didn't look too bad, although if i had the choice, i would go for the 1100 monster.
The Hypermotard looked smaller in the flesh, i was considering one for next year but i think it will be the 1100 monster i go for instead.

Dave G
05-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Ah, monkey boots.:yoparty::D
Along with Doc Martens these my my boots of choice for twenty years solid.
They dissappeared for a bit but you can get them on the internet now.

BluprintZ
05-12-2008, 09:00 AM
I got mine off the net a few months ago because i remember them being so comfy, i wore mine until they fell in bits, usually the upper would split away from the sole.
Unfortunately, i think the new ones are possibly a poor immitation of the originals, the stiching on the uppers tends to rub quite a bit, ouch!

Dave G
05-12-2008, 09:45 AM
I remember in winter they were the coldest thing ever to wear on your feet,however compared to DMs which were lovely and warm, they gripped the icy pavement like wearing crampons, they also let in water as if they had an internal pump putting it there.
Young folk dont know what they're missing these days.:mand:

Capo
05-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Never wear new shoes on any outing, they need to be broken in first.
But we've all done it.

gremlin
05-12-2008, 04:14 PM
I have a pair of army boots which have support everywhere you need it and are soooo comfy. They feel a bit heavy but they're thinsulate lined so really toasty and waterproof. They were a bit expensive at the time but well worth the money. Must admit most days I wear the Daytonas I bought off Benson they're brill but not quite as comfy for yomping round shows as they don't have arch support the same. But then they are supposed to be on a bike not walking for hours. They've been one of my best buys this year.

Duke_Hatty
05-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Unfortunately, renthal didn't have a stand at the show, boo, hoo, so i didn't get me bars!

It's easy enough to check who has a stand at the show, MCN print a guide and I'll bet there's an exhibitor listing on the NEC website, too.
:)

Mand
05-12-2008, 08:24 PM
I have a pair of army boots which have support everywhere you need it and are soooo comfy.

A few months ago my sh!t kicker boots finally died, it was a sad sad day when they had their funeral in my wheelie bin....

alreadyinuse
05-12-2008, 10:11 PM
if youre all that old shouldnt you be wearing hush puppies or hotters now ? ;o)

gremlin
05-12-2008, 10:17 PM
A few months ago my sh!t kicker boots finally died, it was a sad sad day when they had their funeral in my wheelie bin....

Mine are at least ten years old and still look really good:yoparty: I'm terrible at throwing stuff out, there's stuff in my wardrobe I had as a teen and still wear. I'm a bit sad really if it's not worn out and I can still get into it, it stays and waits till it's back in fashion. My boots have never been in fashion or out of it so they'll be there until they have holes in which means they'll probably out last me:D:D

BluprintZ
06-12-2008, 12:10 AM
It's easy enough to check who has a stand at the show, MCN print a guide and I'll bet there's an exhibitor listing on the NEC website, too.
:)

Well, i was aware that Renthal weren't on the listing in MCN but i either read somewhere, or the dealer who i got the Renthal gold chain`n sprockets from a few months back, might have mentioned that Renthal licence their goods through a parent company, to various dealers, so i thought i might come across a stand that sold Renthal goods.
Anyway, i ordered some stainless ones online, last night at:

https://www.thefastone.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=DRB

While we are here, i also want some risers, `cos the drag bars won't fit as a direct replacement, due to the fork adjusters being just a smidgin too high.
So, i also found some online, although they give two sizes of H/bars, plus different bolt-hole sizes.
Off tha`top of your heads, can anyone advise on which sizes for the above i should be ordering please?

Mand
06-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Mine are at least ten years old and still look really good:yoparty: I'm terrible at throwing stuff out, there's stuff in my wardrobe I had as a teen and still wear. I'm a bit sad really if it's not worn out and I can still get into it, it stays and waits till it's back in fashion. My boots have never been in fashion or out of it so they'll be there until they have holes in which means they'll probably out last me:D:D

Fashion? What is Fashion? Don't do fashion! :chuckle:

gremlin
06-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Fashion? What is Fashion? Don't do fashion! :chuckle:

Neither do I running a Ducati takes care of any money not spent on bills! You just hang on to stuff till fashion fits what you've got:spin::D:D
Think we may get in trouble for hijacking;)

BluprintZ
06-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Think we may get in trouble for hijacking;)

Think nothing of it Gremlin, i'm taking down the fashion notes,`cos i still have Tshirts from 20 yrs ago!!
Just wondering if tight T shirts, halfway up me back, will ever return in fashion...?!
Either the shirts have shrunk, or i've turned into a fat b@stard pie eater?....mm, pies!

gremlin
06-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Could tell everyone they're crop tops, I think Wham used to wear them in the eighties so bound to come round again soon:thumbsup: Ideal in the summer to let air round the bod!
The dodgy jumper in the rebuild pics is 23 years old.

paul33
07-12-2008, 02:40 PM
i can remember my monkey boote they were the in thing i had the brown ones lol mite get some more forgot about them

BluprintZ
07-12-2008, 03:52 PM
i can remember my monkey boote they were the in thing i had the brown ones lol mite get some more forgot about them

Tread (sic) carefully mate, not sure that they are made quite like the originals.
I'm gonna get in touch with http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr843.html
who i bought them from. and see who manufactures them.
I know you have to "wear them in", but i've worn them a few times and i don't think that they are going to settle in, they just don't feel right!

BluprintZ
07-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Could tell everyone they're crop tops...

I could advertise them on evilbay as man (boob) tubes, ha!

paul33
07-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Tread (sic) carefully mate, not sure that they are made quite like the originals.
I'm gonna get in touch with http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr843.html
who i bought them from. and see who manufactures them.
I know you have to "wear them in", but i've worn them a few times and i don't think that they are going to settle in, they just don't feel right!

will do cheers i was looking on that site as well :grump: