PDA

View Full Version : New engine casings

Seb_uk
01-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi All

I picked my bike up on Saturday after having the engine casings replaced under warranty due to the dreaded flaky paint syndrome. Parkinson's have done loads of work as obviously was a big engine out job - new casings, timing belts (which Ducati insist upon apparently), oil & filter change, along with various gaskets, etc.

All seems shiny and good, and I have to run her gently for 500 miles and then have another 'first' service carried out (oil change, etc). My only concern is that the new engine casings don't have a VIN number stamped on them and the area where it's normally stamped is blank. I have an invoice from Parkinson's stating that the casings where replaced under warranty, however I'm a bit concerned about the legality of having a bike sans a VIN number on the engine. Obviously I still have a VIN on the headstock, but am a bit worried this may affect the resale value of the bike in the future, etc. Any ideas?

CK & AK
01-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Its no probs - I've had this done on 2 Monsters (M750ie in 2002 - sold in 2004 & also the M1000sie done in 2005 & then sold in 2008)- the info was entered on my service book, as well as me having a receipt for the work - and the dealer also had a record at their premises. It wasnt a problem when I came to sell either bike.
I'd pop back to the shop & get them to enter the info onto your service book too :)
We also have one of our race bikes with a 'factory bank' (no engine number) which is also perfectly permitted in the race world.

What is more 'bothering' to any purchaser, is any number that has been tampered with - or even a number stamped onto a new casing, which hasnt been done at the factory.

Hope this helps

C:)

Stafford
01-12-2008, 05:31 PM
How bad were your casings? I was thinking of taking mine in for a check.
I've lost paint front the obvious bits behind the front wheel and oil cooler mount and it's cracked along one of the angles and just waiting to fall off as well.

Seb_uk
02-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the advice guys - definately put my mind at rest! :)

The flaky paint was pretty bad - especially at the front of the engine and was coming of in huge sheets, so there really wasn't an awful lot of paint left by the time I had the casings replaced. If your Monster is still under warranty and has similar problems I would definately investigate getting the casings replaced.

Will
02-12-2008, 08:17 AM
Is this flaky engine paint thing still happening? - it's been going on for 15 years! - no matter how carefully one looks after the bike it still happens - aaarrrrrggggghhhh!

It is one thing that puts me of buying another Ducati.

Ducati MUST fix this if they are ever going to taken seriously!

Scootaboy
02-12-2008, 08:46 AM
dont think its a problem on mine but I'll give it a check, the warranty runs out around march I think.

how long was the bike in the workshop?

Seb_uk
02-12-2008, 08:48 AM
It is an irritating problem. My theory is that it may well start with a stone chip, water gets underneath and then, hey presto, the paint starts to flake. Obviously the paint is of a pretty poor standard also!

Having spoken to Parkinson's on Saturday, apparently Ducati are now using a better quality paint / finish on the newer Monster's, so will be interesting to see how the 696 fairs in a year or so.....

Seb_uk
02-12-2008, 08:50 AM
dont think its a problem on mine but I'll give it a check, the warranty runs out around march I think.

how long was the bike in the workshop?

They had the bike for three weeks, but that was partly due to their clutch tool breaking and also me not being able to get down there to pick her up. In theory the job should only take a few days once it has been authorised by Ducati UK and the dealer gets the casings in.

CK & AK
02-12-2008, 09:02 AM
Its a days work to do the casings (inc belt/oil changes etc)
Having been down that road before, a couple of times..........

C:)

Capo
02-12-2008, 09:57 AM
The engine paint is some kind of epoxy, I found it difficult to strip. However there were a couple of places at the base of the rear cylinder where it had begun to flake. I put this down to poor prep and application.

BTW Ducati paints the cases then machines them.

The 1098R sand cast cases don't seem to have paint.