PDA

View Full Version : Starting the Duchess – 620ie wont start first time

sneakyt
30-11-2008, 10:52 PM
It was thanks to UMOC I finally decided to do my test and pick up a M620 Dark which over the last three months has been AWESOME. :cool:

Small children, old timers and more importantly young flussies take interest at the lights and even received a few complements from ‘other’ bike riders.

I have had very little problems despite riding everyday in London’s horrendous weather but I am now having an issue with starting it.

I turn the key, everything lights up, needles move while there is the standard noise from the under the tank. (out of interest, what is that?) All normal at this stage.

After, the only light left on is the engine light. Nothing happens when I press the ignition button. Frustrating!!! I turn the key to off and try again… same thing.

I come back to it 5 minutes later and the engine light is no longer on and it starts immediately with no trouble. This is every time I go to use her. :on:

I changed the battery about a month ago and it came out of the shop last week after I had the handle bars replaced as well as pads and tires. It started fine there – typical!

Has anyone had the same thing or do any of you Ducati Ninja’s know what this is? :idea:

harry_hyde
01-12-2008, 06:32 AM
I had an issue with my 620sie not starting and it turned out that the main power lead from the battery had worn through against the frame and was arcing out.

It might be worth checking your battery leads to see if you're having the same problem.

Cheers.

Jody.

slob
01-12-2008, 08:09 AM
The whirring from under the tank is the fuel pump priming.

Do you get a clicking when you press the starter button or just no starter motor action?
Are the new bars painted or bare metal?

If you get clicking from the solenoid (it has a round black plastic cover, two thick cables coming out and is between the cylinders on the r/h side of the frame) check the fat cables battery+ to solenoid and solenoid to starter motor, also the earth from the back of the engine casing to battery-.

If not even a clicking check the thin wires connected to the solenoid.

If the bars are painted, check there is a good earth from the starter button to the chassis.

Also worth checking all fuses are properly seated.

Trent
01-12-2008, 06:00 PM
This happens to my wifes Monster 620 sometimes as well... funnily enough, it never did it until I changed the battery...

I stole her battery for the Multistrada and put the Multi one in her bike - The one in the Multi must have been a bit duff cause it wouldn't start no matter what you did - The Monster one worked OK in the Multi

We normally just switch the key off and on until it comes right (maybe 3 or 4 times)

I suspect it's the battery that's causing ours...

Maybe you could try jumping yours off another bike / car to see if the extra battery power helps?

sneakyt
01-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions, I will check the wires tomorrow. I spoke to the garage and they said that sometimes the wire that comes down from the right side of the handle bars is damaged by a cable tie and he asked me if it starts with the wheel turned to either side.

Its too bloody cold to go out there now so I will leave it til tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Itcud
02-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Had this on 2 different 620 monsters,never tracked down the problem,I recon it's something to do with the immobiliser system,I fitted an FIM ECU on the one bike & it was fine but this bypasses all the immobiliser circuits.