PDA

View Full Version : Warning - Gumtree Bike Scam

nambduke
30-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Young Richard Nambduke spotted this on Gumtree....

http://www.gumtree.com/london/22/31549122.html

I think it's pictures of Smiler996 bike at the beginning of the year - he's going to confirm.....

I believe this is a scam as we have emailed the seller to find out details and the email we received sounds very dodgy....

Here's the email we received back from the seller.....

Richard's message stated..

Can you please send hi res pictures of your bike as I am interested.

Obvious questions.....any accident history. Service history. Outstanding
finance?

Regards,
Richard

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sun 11/30/2008 14:11
To: Butler, Richard
Subject: Re: Your Gumtree.com ad #31549122: DUCATI MONSTER S4

Hello,

I am selling this bike for £2,000.00 including delivery anywhere in UK.I set at a "very, very low" price to guarantee a sale. The only reason is that I need cash for a family emergency. I have to tell you that I'm currently out of town with some major problems so pick up/view isn't an option. If you want to buy this bike email me back with your full name and address to start the official procedure trough eBay. They will send you a notification with ALL the info regarding delivery, purchase protection and refund policy so please provide your details before more questions. You will find 90% of answers in that notification from eBay!

Thanks.

What do you guys think??? I've already contacted Gumtree stating I think it's a scam

Regards,
Mark Nambduke

Trent
30-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Yep... Definitely a scan

Super cheap Ducatis pop up regularly on Gumtree, and you always get the same response about paying through ebay etc...

If it seems too good to be true... etc etc

NewMon
30-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Unbelievable. And the message: "Anti spam: Do NOT contact me offering services or anything of a commercial nature." is just taking the p1ss!

Just as a matter of interest: if I was a gullible punter, how would this scam play out? He gets my full name and address and then what? The eBay bit sounds tenuous.

Nonnie
30-11-2008, 07:23 PM
I do believe they would ask you for a deposit to "hold" the bike as obviously there will be a few interested parties.

Deffo scammo.

Snips
30-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Why don't we all mail back expressing keen interest, wind him up a bit? ;)

nambduke
30-11-2008, 08:25 PM
................suggest you'd want to create a throw away hotmail account to stop any spamming:on:.....

Regards,
Mark

mintyhit
30-11-2008, 09:20 PM
I sent him this message:

Dear friend,

My name is Mr Adada Muhamscam a crude oil merchant in Iran. I would very much like to buy your motorbike and I am willing to pay $8,000,000 for it as we do not have any Ducati in my country and I am very rich. All I require is a £100 fee for administration and bank charges. If you are interested please let me know and I will give you details of how to transfer the £100 into my offshore holdings account. Then I will see your $8,000,000 is sent to you (via ebay) immediately.

Nonnie
30-11-2008, 10:00 PM
I sent him this message:

Dear friend,

My name is Mr Adada Muhamscam a crude oil merchant in Iran. I would very much like to buy your motorbike and I am willing to pay $8,000,000 for it as we do not have any Ducati in my country and I am very rich. All I require is a £100 fee for administration and bank charges. If you are interested please let me know and I will give you details of how to transfer the £100 into my offshore holdings account. Then I will see your $8,000,000 is sent to you (via ebay) immediately.

Classic! That's sure worth the money.

Funkatronic
30-11-2008, 10:17 PM
cold we do something like this?

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

nambduke
30-11-2008, 11:45 PM
cold we do something like this?

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

That was brilliant.......I think if it's done it should be done by the police......I'd hate to think that someone could be targeted by the triads or similar??!!

Oh, and smiler996 has confirmed this evening that the pics were of his old bike!

Regards,
Mark

Snips
01-12-2008, 06:53 AM
I sent him this message:

Dear friend,

Brilliant! :)

slob
01-12-2008, 08:12 AM
The spam disclaimer is a standard gumtree inclusion.

smiler996
01-12-2008, 08:49 AM
I have reported the add as a fake to Gumtree - lets see how long it takes to be taken down?

I have also emailed the new owner.

Just going through my emails to see who I sent the bike picutres too - only the buyer and two others that contacted me as members on here!

Trent W

Steven P

Smiler996

gremlin
01-12-2008, 03:18 PM
There was also a bit in MCN about a fake dealership. They put up pictures of a genuine Honda garage and were asking for large deposits before delivery of the bikes. It didn't say how many people had been caught out I don't tthink. It's amazing how devious these people are. I wouldn't buy any large purchase without going to the buyers home to view, I couldn't afford to lose the money. I did agree to buy my bike unseen but went to pick it up before parting with any money. There was also one on Ebay selling Vincent bikes pretty cheaply, unfortunately a friend got caught out and there was nothing he could do about t.