PDA

View Full Version : Be careful out there...

Blah blah
27-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Got an email the other day from a guy I used to know, hadn't heard from him for 6 or 7 years - he used to work with the wife, and was into bikes which is how we got talking, but as happens we lost touch.

I has heard from a friend of a friend of a friend (you know how it is) that he'd had an accident, but none of the numbers we had for him worked, so we couldn't get in touch

Turns out that he was on a track day at Donnigton, and got put into the novice group cos the 'fast one' was full. At the end of the Dunlop straight in the afternoon session, he was taken out at about 130mph, went onto the grass and into the Melborne loop wall (no gravel, just tyres then concrete).

He was a bit of a mess, but is still around to tell the tale, (not sure what happened to the guy who pulled across in front of him though).

I don't want to put a downer on all those who intend going on track days, cos riding and racing on a track is brilliant and everyone should do it, but just a thought for next time, keep your wits about you cos we aint invincible on the track either...

Ride safe :)

CK & AK
27-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Cheers for the timely warning/reminder Blah-Blah.

Unfortunately, Donington is the one track we detest doing trackdays at with the race/any bikes (much rather do ACU test days instead).
One we did this year had no more than 2 laps before interruptions in EVERY session of the 'inters' and also the novice groups - the fast wasnt much better.
This is the one track that we find brings out the looney tunes............ :(

C