PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for the catch.........

LVC
27-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Luck is not something I usually have much of however...... whilst browsing on ebay Italy today I came across this item:

http://i22.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/1f/ed/7824_1_sbl.JPG http://i20.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/1f/ed/6ecf_1_sbl.JPG

After a quick on-line translation of the description it confirmed that it is a carbon fibre screen for a Ducati Monster. Nothing special there you say.

Wait for it............

Shipping costs are 30 euros from Italy to me (in France) and the "Buy it now price" was .......................................... 1 euro :spin:

Yes, I have bought and paid for it. The item shows as "Ended". I'm now waiting for the email to tell me that it was an error and tough luck - but you never know :scratch:

Check out the item description below and tell me if I'm an idiot and I've just bought a 31 euro photo or have actually just been lucky for a change :on:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=370120835911

and no there aren't any others - I've already looked :thumbsdown:

Paivi
27-11-2008, 05:10 PM
It does look like an error. Not sure how that works on Ebay, whether the seller is allowed to cancel the sale or if he has to honour the auction.

Nickj
27-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Read the ebay rules of sale.
As far as I understand it contracts are binding, there isn't any get out clause that I've seen. You can opt not to pay, or they can opt not to honour. In which case you have ebay chase them.
There might be some regional variations in which case you pick the rule set that favours you, bought in France from Italy can have either set apply.

manwithredbike
27-11-2008, 06:12 PM
check out his e-bay shop. carbon clutch cover 84p (about 1 euro) plus £12 postage and other bits similar.
sounds ok. i bought a ducati watch for 1p plus £10 postage a few years ago, cr4p watch but still works

LVC
27-11-2008, 06:47 PM
It indeed looks like the seller made an error......:woot:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUCATI-MONSTER-CUPOLINO-IN-FIBRA-DI-CARBONIO_W0QQitemZ220319927211QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3 5567QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l 1262

Here's the same item with a "Starting bid" of 1 euro - mine had a "Buy now" of 1 euro.

I'm assuming the seller has to chose one or other and imagine he got it wrong for a change. I've just had the usual emails confirming payment etc. plus an automated one from the seller "congratulating" me on my purchase - wait till he reads the "you have sold your item" email tomorrow from ebay :hissy:

The other "Buy now" items at 1 euro (with various picture of fairing parts) are for his Excel downloadable brochure only and clearly state that in the description - hence no postage costs.

I'd be grateful if someone on here who speaks Italian could have a quick look at the item description I bought to confirm there's nothing I/google mis-translated :hail:

Paivi
27-11-2008, 09:29 PM
I'd be grateful if someone on here who speaks Italian could have a quick look at the item description I bought to confirm there's nothing I/google mis-translated :hail:
No mistranslations, mate, you seem to have bought a carbon fibre screen for a euro. Santa may want to hire you as his helper...

LVC
27-11-2008, 09:33 PM
No mistranslations, mate, you seem to have bought a carbon fibre screen for a euro. Santa may want to hire you as his helper...

Molti ringraziamenti or Ta very much :thumbsup:

johnsy
28-11-2008, 02:25 PM
I looked through as well, aren't some or all of these items actually catalogues for a euro, my Itailian is zero, but 1 page is in english and it said a catalogue. Hope i'm wrong, if so, let us know, i'll carbon my monster up. Wonder if he'll combined p & p :chuckle:

Paivi
28-11-2008, 06:09 PM
I looked through as well, aren't some or all of these items actually catalogues for a euro, my Itailian is zero, but 1 page is in english and it said a catalogue. Hope i'm wrong, if so, let us know, i'll carbon my monster up. Wonder if he'll combined p & p :chuckle:
Yep, one of the pages for for a catalogue, buy now at €1; I suspect he accidentally used this option for the next item he auctioned, i.e., the screen.

LVC
01-12-2008, 11:28 AM
As thought I got a nice email from the seller this morning refunding my money and stating that it was an error and he was sorry.

I replied that I did not accept his refund and insisit that he post the item to me as soon as possible as stated in the sellers obligations under the ebay T&C's.

I await his reponse. I guess the next obivious step is to raise a dispute via ebay and see where it goes. Never thought for a minute that this was going to be an easy one but interested to see how far it goes.

Anyone got any suggestions or experience on where to go from here? I've won refunds and disputes against seller before so am confident that unless he wants to lose his ebay shop and status he has an obligation to honour the sale - we all make mistakes but he has the responsibility to ensure that his items are correctly presented including price and once the "commit to buy" button is hit both parties are contractually obliged to see the sale through.

Nonnie
01-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Ah - you're mean.

LVC
01-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Ah - you're mean.

Well it is nearly Christmas - time of good will and all that :piglet:

The way I look at it I'm doing him a favour - it'll cost him only 150 euros to make sure that in future he checks more carefully his listings - imagine if he'd put 5 of these items up for 1 euro each - he'd be losing a lot more money than just 150 euros :idea: I'm sure he'll thank me in the long run :nash::nash:

I've always considered Carbon Fibre to be overpriced and god knows how much I've spent on CF bits for my bikes over the years - nice to get a little bit back once in a while :thumbsup:

Stafford
01-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Good luck and stick it to em'
I won a 1098s the other day for £4105 and guess what, the seller said it had already been sold. Then re-listed it a day later.

Capo
01-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Good luck and stick it to em'
I won a 1098s the other day for £4105 and guess what, the seller said it had already been sold. Then re-listed it a day later.

They do this all the time, I won a starter sprag clutch for £45, got a refund and a e-mail saying they couldn't find it.

LVC
19-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Look what arrived in the post today :thumbsup:...........

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/LVC1/Monster%20Forum/Carbonscreen1.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/LVC1/Monster%20Forum/Carbonscreen2.jpg

Well after many email "conversations" with the vendor I ended up with the item at a much reduced price to the "Buy now 154€" but not near enough to the "Buy now 1€" to stop me leaving him negative feedback :on:

Shame really as the item is top class and whilst I appreciate he made a mistake he didn't help himself in his attitude towards me nor in his lack of effort in trying to resolve the issue. "Go complain to ebay if you like" was his initials attempts at "the client is always right" negotiations :twak:

I ended up paying 66€ + P&P which was the same price as someone else "won" the item for recently but pleased with the result :spin:

And "yes" I've put the round headlight back on - couldn't get used to the twin Dominators - will have to change the photo in my signature (again) soon :rolleyes:

Albie
20-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Good for you carbon freak LOL:chuckle:

LVC
21-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Good for you carbon freak LOL:chuckle:

Yes Albie - it's becoming a real addiction - must stop, must stop :on:

I wrote my negative feedback for the chap in Italy - nothing personal only the facts:

"Beware - seller does not honour ebay rules !"

And now he's decided to raise a dispute as I "haven't paid for the item". What a Tw*t! I've paid twice for the item and each time he refunded the money with a smarmy remark.

I've suggest that instead of paying him again (knowing full well that he has no intention of sending me the actual part) that I accept the second item I bought, in the place of the first and he can refund me the difference of 65€.

Don't quite get what he's trying to acheive here - I will only retract my negative feedback if I have the part for 1€ as in the case of the sale I won and there's no way I'm sending him any more money as then I'll then have to go through paypal to try and get it back when he doesn't send the item :dunce:

StevieB
21-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Congratulations on getting a good deal. By the way , where did you get your mirrors?

LVC
21-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Congratulations on getting a good deal. By the way , where did you get your mirrors?

Hi StevieB - they're Ducati Performance, item numbers 97063S01A (left) and 97062S01A (right).

Click on the link below to go to the Ducati Performance Catalogues....

DPM Catalogues (http://ducatibarcelona.com/ZonaDucati/descargas/catalegs.htm)

Hope this helps ;)