PDA

View Full Version : Rear Light and DP Carbon tail fitting woes

Stafford
26-11-2008, 03:41 PM
After getting the two ally parts powder coated I went off to the cold garage refit the assembly, but this time I wanted to use the original rear light unit (fitted with LED's).
It soon became apparent that the original lens assy does not seen to fit very well at all. There is a small drop in the carbon tail where you would expect the lens to fit, but it's just not quite big enough. I did use to use a smaller rear light which of course flew in, I'd just like to know if others have suffered this and if there are different sizes of rear light assy's out there?

LVC
26-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Fitted mine with one of Scotty's LED rear lights - it's a snug fit and I had to put two washers the lock retainer for the seat to raise the mechanism so the seat didn't foul the rear lights.

Where is it that's too small on yours the width, height or length? Mine was the height.

Stafford
26-11-2008, 04:51 PM
It's the length of the lens really, it won't sit down into the recess. It is a snug fit under the DP comfy seat and this is already on a couple of washers to make the seat lock properly. I doubt it, but I wondered if there was a slightly smaller OE part.

Pedro
26-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Give me a ring when you have min

Stafford
26-11-2008, 07:41 PM
We seem to have got cut of there Ped, but if I understand you correctly take a pair of 3' foot stilsons to the tail section and bend downwards.
I'll give it a go :eyepopping:

Albie
26-11-2008, 08:42 PM
can you post a pic to show us your problem

Stafford
27-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Not great shots but here goes
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/stafford23/DSC00103.jpg
Shows the top of lens, which ideally should be level or at least in line with the deck of the carbon.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/stafford23/DSC00099.jpg
Just behind the bottom of the lens the carbon drops away into a shelf of sorts.
The only real way to get it to fit is.
1: Cut the carbon away
2: Cut the lens away
3: Remake the mounting plate to take the whole thing deeper under the seat to get it to drop into the recess
4: Do nothing like Ped and live with it, but why do Ducati make a part that doesn't fit with OE parts?

JMo
28-11-2008, 05:45 AM
4: Do nothing like Ped and live with it, but why do Ducati make a part that doesn't fit with OE parts?

Erm, it's an incentive to cut the damn lot off and be done with it... ahem.

xxx

Capo
28-11-2008, 07:33 AM
If its any consolation, not ONE item of CF I have bought fitted 'out of the box'

slob
28-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Erm, it's an incentive to cut the damn lot off and be done with it... ahem.

xxx

I bet no one (hack)saw that coming....