PDA

View Full Version : S4R ignition coil?

mikej
18-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Hello,

After my bike broke down last week i thought i'd try and fix it myself as the RAC man had already diagnosed the problem and he assurred me it would be simple enough.

I bought a couple of leads and coils from E_Bay that said they would fit 748/916/996/998 but now that they have arrived, the end of the stick looks a bit different to the ones that are already on there (the end attached to the lead). They are Marrelli ones but are also marked with Fiat and Lancia.:confused:

I have attached a picture and was just wondering if anyone knows if they will work before i go taking anything apart.

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

Kato
18-11-2008, 02:04 PM
They are OEM Fiat fire coils, can't say 100% that they will work as I have not tried but my info from a very reliable source tells me they do.

Trent
18-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Hmmm... as far as I'm aware the S4R has "Stick" coils - IE The coil is part of the plug cap and the wiring loom plugs directly into the end of the plug cap.
In which case (I'm 99% sure) - No, the ones in the picture won't work...

The ones in the picture are probably off an early model 916 etc.

Your ones will probably look more like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUCATI-1098-1098S-2008-IGNITION-COIL_W0QQitemZ220304295925QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 220304295925&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

(PS - To avoid confusion, this is not actually a front brake lever as the description implies ;) )

Trent
18-11-2008, 03:07 PM
I just checked the part numbers for the 1098 and the S4R coils and they're the same - so the 1098 one on ebay should fit your bike...

mikej
18-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks Trent. Thought that as it said they would fit a 996, and mine has a 996 engine they might be the same but was obviously mistaken. :confused:

Have found some for sale on Canadian Ebay (have attached a photo) but if you are sure they aren't compatible, think i will just let Ray and Marcus at Rosso take care of it when it goes in for a service next week.

Thanks mate.

Trent
18-11-2008, 04:11 PM
There must have been a change over at some point on the 996 / 998 from the type of coil you bought to the "stick" type.

So the latest pic shows the coil that's the same as your bike?

So... If the one in the lastest photo is the same as your bike, then the 1098 one won't fit your bike... and neither will the ones you bought on ebay.

Either get a good one off someone from UKMOC or let Rosso take care of it...

Trent
18-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Sorry Mike... Just to clarify for you:

In the original photo, the coils are the large black parts with the mounting brackets.
There is a lead (cable) that runs from the coil to the spark plug cap with the cap screwed on the end of the lead.
The wiring loom plugs into a connection on the side of the coil. (Many bikes still run this type of setup)

On your bike the coil, lead and plug cap are all built as one unit inside the plug cap (Hence why they cost so much)
The wiring loom on your bike plugs directly into the plug cap.

As I said previously - it appears that Ducati have updated the ignition system at some point - presumably to save weight and space on the bike.

Unfortunately you can't assume that because your bike has a 996 engine any 996 engine parts will fit - You may find that the cams, ignition system, fuel system, gearbox etc etc is different because they have tuned / modified it to work in a different bike.

Check out some more info here:
http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=25963