PDA

View Full Version : Job Interview

pegboy
05-11-2008, 09:44 PM
I am getting very nervous, as I have a job interview on Monday. This is my third interview, 1st being 18 years ago, 2nd being 9 years ago and now the third on Monday, What do I say? I have always gone from one job to another being asked to join the new company etc.

Any advice will be welcome.

PDL
05-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Be yourself.

If you can't think of an answer think of a scenario and what you would do if you were in that scenario.

But above all be yourself.

Paivi
05-11-2008, 10:04 PM
If you've got a job spec for the role, read it carefully and think of each bullet point and try to see where you've applied that particular skill.

Ask questions, such as more detail on your role, where it sits within the team, what training and development opportunities they have.

If you like the role, don't hesitate to say so. Being reserved may come across as being unenthusiastic, so try to sound enthusiastic. Ask when you can expect any feedback or a decision to be made.

Firm, but not hand crunching handshake (it could be a woman interviewing you), good eye contact, don't fidget. If they thank you for coming, thank them for seeing you or for their time. Edit: even if they don't thank you, thank them.

Good luck!

Headhunter
05-11-2008, 10:22 PM
As above. If through a recruiter get them to do a mock int'w even if it's over the phone.

Most important thing is to be yourself.

Good luck and hope it all goes well, Paolo.

StevieB
05-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Good luck with the interview .
I interview periodically for new staff , and I personally am impressed if the prospective candidate has read the job description well , and done a bit of homework on what the post entails . It is best not to waffle on too much if you are not sure what you are talking about . Be open and honest about yourself , and if given a chance ask pertinent questions about the specific duties involved . Remember that you are actually selling yourself so be sure to let them know those specific qualities you possess which will enable you to fill the position better than the other applicants . Be pleasant and enthusiastic even if the questions seem to be getting a bit awkward . Sometimes I throw in something a bit awkward to see how a candidate responds under a little bit of pressure .
Hope this is some help

slob
06-11-2008, 05:53 AM
If the company has a website, find out as much as you can about them beforehand. This gives you question material for them and shows enthusiasm/initiative.

gremlin
06-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Try not to think about it too much though or you'll get yourself into a tizzy and blow it. Going into mum mode make sure you're nicely turned out, I know people don't bother so much these days but to me a clean tidy outside means the person takes a bit of care, and if you have finger nails (lots of people don't) please make sure they are clean, I can't bear dirty nails and it is one of those stupid things that people pick up on. I have been complimented on mine in an interview so people do notice (it was a female interviewer and I got the job).

Trent
06-11-2008, 08:12 AM
And don't forget... You may not have all the answers or have all the experience they require, but they can easily teach people how to do new things - you can't teach people to have a personality.

As they ^ ^ ^ have said, relax and be yourself.

NattyBoy
06-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Easy for us to sit here and tell us what you need to do but agree with all of it, research as much as you can, and dont be afraid to gather your thoughts before answering a question...and yes, just be yourself.

I'm not sure how nerves affect you but taking a few deep subtle deep breaths before you go in can have a very calming effect.

Oh..and dont forget to shine your shoes...;>) !

Good luck !

pegboy
06-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Thats fantastic thank you for all the advice and support.

So i am going suited and booted cleanly shaved, shoes polished, fingernails cleaned and looking clean and smart. I am currently researching the website to find out as much as possible without overload about the company and the job role, as it happens an old colleague went for the same job but did not get it, so i have spoken to him already and now i am preparing for the questions, but i know i must be prepared for different questions. His interview lasted 1.5 hrs with the direct line manager then 20 minutes with HR.

I'm starting to get butterflies in my belly when i think about the interview and all excited now. I know i'm weird.

Thank you really appreciate the support.

Paivi
06-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Oh, and try to make sure you don't ever ever reply 'No'. Always 'no, BUT...'. You need to really know your own CV for this, so if they ask you if you've ever done 'x', and you haven't, you'll have to be able to quickly think of something else you've done that could be related, if you've touched on it in any way.

For example, I screwed up loads of interviews several years ago when I was asked if I've ever done the daily PnL for convertible bonds, and I just replied 'No, I haven't'. Of course, what I should have said was 'No, I haven't, BUT I've done the price testing and reserve calculation for them for two years, AND I've done daily PnL for other products for two years'. By answering just 'no', I gave the impression I wasn't that keen to learn it either.

So, if by looking at their bullet points, and at a first glance it looks that you haven't got a particular skill or you haven't done a particular thing, think deeper, can you think of anything you have got or have done which is related to that, or that can be in any way applied to it.

Oh, and no coffee breath! If you have a bad breath, they won't want to listen to you, so don't forget your mints!

Snips
06-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Good luck, I regularly interview and all that's said above counts.

More tips...

- Show enthusiasm for the role you've applied for. Demonstrate passion for what you can bring to the role.

- *Don't* get suckered into ranting about bad experiences in your previous jobs. If you're asked why you're leaving give an answer like 'ready for new challenges, and this opportunity fits the bill', there's absolutely no value in listing the things that were wrong with your old place, and you'll just come across as bitter and twisted. Your prospective employer will imagine you talking about their company in the same way in 12 months time. This is one of the most common reasons I reject applicants - I don't want to hire cynics who will drag down my existing team.

Make sure you have prepared answers for open questions , such as...

"Tell us about yourself" - Keep general details to a minimum, focus on your experience relevant to the role. Keep your summary to about a couple of minutes, and then ask if they want to hear more.

"what makes you the right person for this role?"

"what are your strengths and weaknesses?" (be honest with your weaknesses, your prospective employer knows no-one is perfect and will look for self-awareness. A good answer would be 'sometimes my enthusiasm can get the better of me, so I have to make sure I'm fully prepared before starting a task' - a good way to turn that around to a positive ;) )

Be friendly and polite. Let the interviewer take the lead, if they joke then you can make gentle humour yourself, but tread carefully, *don't* make jokes at the expense of your current employer / boss etc. I'd count that as being suckered into criticising your old employer. Don't lower your guard.

Your interviewer will expect you to be nervous, so don't worry about that. Seeing someone who is motivated to do the right thing is more important, nerves are just a symptom of you wanting the job.

If you stumble on a question, as most people do, let it go, show you can move on. Stick with the interview and show tenacity.

Aim to give concise answers that stick to the point.

Take a copy of the job description into your interview, and refer to it - You're the person they're looking for, and this is the role you're looking for!

Don't be afraid to ask for clarification on the questions. This will enter a more conversational style, which might help you relax. It will also give you clues as to the sort of answer they're looking for.

Most common reasons I reject applicants are:

1) No enthusiasm for the actual role (i.e. a carpet-bomb application for any job going). Having researched the company is a great way to show interest in the role, and with the internet, there's no excuse not to.
2) Using the interview to soapbox their opinions, rather than answer the questions.
3) Just plain unsuitable.

1 & 2 are completely avoidable. 3 will happen on occasion.

Enthusiastic applicants are few and far between, it's surprisingly easy to make a very good impression.

Good luck!

Dookbob
06-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I wish I had known some of you guys years ago when I was still part of the workforce. You have all the answers now Pegboy, go for it , and good luck.

JimmyF
06-11-2008, 04:57 PM
all great advice.

I'm also looking for a new job at the moment so much appreciated

Bodybag
06-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Never assume that the end of the interview is the end of the interview. I interviewed somebody a few months ago (when i had a job) and as soon s the interview was formally ended the applicant sat back and asked "So, how did I do?" Then started dissecting his performance in front of the panel. Knobber!! Strangely enough he didn't get the job. Just remember that the interview doesn't end until you're well clear of the building. I always made a point of asking the receptionist what she thought of the applicant, so remember to be polite and attentive to everyone at the company.

pegboy
06-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Hi Snips, Thank you for the comments had to read it twice though and will print it off and use it a part of my template to prepare, very useful and greatly appreciated

And thank you once again to everyone some great advice and support, if i don't get the job I'll feel like a right Plank especially after all this advice, should be a walk in the park.

Many Thanks

pegboy
06-11-2008, 10:07 PM
One question
In the job description it states the following

To Recruit, develope and manage colleagues ensureing regular EARs are carried out with achievable objectives.

I'm thinking equal oppertunities, or appraisals or performance monitoring but can not crack it the secret code?

it's proably really simple but can not think of the right works that match all the letters, have searched the company website, and Applications staff starter packs etc can not the answer

Any Ideas thinking of calling the HR department and asking them straight up.

gremlin
06-11-2008, 10:07 PM
You'll be fine hon. Just try to relax over the weekend don't drink on Sunday so you're bright eyed and bushy tailed. Just don't be late that is one of the worst things, you'll be all flustered right from the start. Get there early if possible even do a recce before hand so you know where you're going. It will then be familiar territory when you turn up for the interview and that will help no end.
I used to be violently sick before interviews and a total wreck but found that checking things out first made a big difference. It's also how I got through my bike test, I was taken to the test centre every day to desensitise me so it wasn't such a big deal. I was lucky in that I didn't know when my test was either which obviously was an advantage that you don't have! Will be keeping fingers crossed for you anyway and sending positive thoughts.
From a numpties view it does sound like performance monitoring, possibly organising training to get the most out of your colleagues. You'll probably have to do face to face interviews finding out where the staff are having difficulties and arrange training to make them acheive their full potential. I guess you'll also have to sort out any grievances between staff.
We had performance related pay and the boss had to do forms every year saying where we were strong, where further training was needed, what training we'd done whether we'd done more than our job description etc. It was all boll6x I worked hard he graded me, a committee upgraded me because I was doing his work, he gave me hell. I got promoted, did even more of his work and the next year he gave me a lousy appraisal saying I'd got promoted what more did I want! Unfortunately I had to share an office with him sitting at a desk which was back to back with his and I hated his guts! I also had a nervous breakdown and left.
I guess you'll be doing the same but obviously you'll be far nicer about it!
Try looking here http://www.ear.co.uk/about_intro.asp don't know if it's relevant

Snips
06-11-2008, 10:28 PM
My guess would be 'Employee Annual Reviews' i.e. appraisals.

As it looks like you'll have reports, think about what makes a good manager and a bad manager.

Golden rule for appraisals is 'no surprises' i.e. if the employee is under-performing, they should have had feedback during the year and be expecting a review to match. Likewise, if they're a star performer, they should have had feedback during the year to that effect.

Calling up the HR department in advance to get clarification would be perfectly acceptable, and shows preparation and initiative.

Feel free to ask more questions, happy to help.

jerry
07-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Some companies conduct nightmare interviews where there are no right or wrong answers .I was recently offered a job by a company after such an interview which was incredibly hostile and rude. But I declined the job.

gremlin
07-11-2008, 05:09 PM
I got a phone one as a second interview with Edward Jones Financial, talk about random, one of the questions was "What would you do if you saw a child playing with a hammer?" Sensible person answer, take it off him to prevent damage to said child or other people/property, apparantly that was wrong! Daren't think what the right one was, probably give him some nails so he can nail the cat to the floor, it makes you wonder who thinks the questions and more disturbingly the answers up.

Paivi
07-11-2008, 07:22 PM
I got a phone one as a second interview with Edward Jones Financial, talk about random, one of the questions was "What would you do if you saw a child playing with a hammer?" Sensible person answer, take it off him to prevent damage to said child or other people/property, apparantly that was wrong! Daren't think what the right one was, probably give him some nails so he can nail the cat to the floor, it makes you wonder who thinks the questions and more disturbingly the answers up.
My initial thought was to find the child some wood and nails, so he can learn what the hammer is used for. That way, he's less likely to use it for other things. I rather think that's what my dad would have done, had the child been me.

Snips
07-11-2008, 09:45 PM
If you get a nightmare interviewer, they're doing you a favour. Better that you find that out that they're like that at the interview then once you've started.

Now... let's get back to building Pegboy's confidence... :)

luvmaduke
08-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Mate a couple more suggestions for ya. Get a copy of the job description and where possible use yourself as the prospective candidate. For example , if the job description needs a self starter who can work on his/her own , get that in there , if it says it requires a team player , again state this is what you are. The interviewer will have a copy of the job description and will look for the key words to be said.
Add things like you encourage good performance within the workplace and strive for bettering this. Give short examples if prompted. When in the interview , don't interrupt the interviewers , I have interviewed many people , and the amount of people who cut me short when I was talking was unbelieveable. Need less to say a lot of these people didn't get the job. It shows a lack of manners and respect.
Bring as much job history , certificates , references as possible . Have copies with you so you can leave them if required. Have these documents in a folder or sleeve , it shows preparation and good housekeeping. Be early , smart and smile it goes a long way. Good luck fella

Bodybag
10-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Good luck for today fella. Let us know how it went.

Snips
10-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Indeed, how'd it go?

We're rooting for you.

pegboy
10-11-2008, 08:14 PM
The interview was not as i expected, very informal chat about the job and it roles. We were engaged in general conversation all directly related to the job obviously, made me relax more although still a little nervous. The only open question i had was, tell me about you. The entire interview lasted for about an hour and 10minute with my potential manager which i think went well. When we said our goodbyes he said “nice to meet you thanks for coming in” etc so i replied the like back and added “hope to speak to you soon” for which he replied “speak to you next week”, which I’m sure he did not mean to say that as he didn’t complete the word week entirely and stopped short. I thought great 2nd interview very possible?? They are interviewing more people this week apparently.

The second interview i will need to complete a test or something i was told about what and i did mean to ask what it was but then we talked about other things etc and forgot until i drove off in the car. Something to do with finding out my strengths weaknesses and my style etc

I then met with the HR Manager which was more into the scenario theme, Examples of this situation and example of that situation which lasted for about 30 minutes, i think i talked too much, not sure if this is good or not? All positive and gave examples of my replies to her questions. Was really excited and let that out a few times that i was very keen for the challenge and i felt that this was the obvious next step in my professional career.

Couple of things i had a reaction (facial expressions) from the interviewees was some of the information i knew about the company which i think impressed them?? Or scared them off??. I picked up on some of their thoughts for the future of the company as they are restructuring and re-directing their business so i used that to my strengths put examples of those thoughts in my experiences in previous jobs.

I did stutter a few words every so often through the nerves go the better of me but I just paused retracted my thoughts and continued, I think I came across very confident, energetic, enthusiastic, and giving some examples of what i would do if i was successful.
They we digging for dirt on my old employee and thought of the comments and advice i was given by all of you and turned that in “oh how lovely my old colleagues are” and that i am still in contact with them all blab bla bla.

So with that i think it all went well, and think they were impressed, so i hope to hear from them next week sometime, fingers crossed.

So once again a big thank you to you all it really helped me allot

Snips
10-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Good stuff. Sounds like you did a great job.

A 1hr 10 mins interview sounds very positive. Managers wouldn't invest that amount of time in candidates that they're not interested in.

Fingers crossed, and let us know how it goes.

If they call for a second interview/test then ask them for more detail.

It sounds like it will be one of those psychometric tests that pigeon-hole your personality type. They'll insist there are no right or wrong answers, and there aren't. There are however personality types that they will and won't hire ;)

Nevertheless, don't try and give false answers as there are attempts to catch you out [though they are pretty obvious, usually the same question worded differently].

Good luck!

Paivi
10-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Sounds really good, Pegboy! Hope you get to the second stage, and if you do, don't hesitate to contact the HR to ask them about the test so you'll know what to expect.

Fingers crossed!

StevieB
10-11-2008, 10:24 PM
It sounds like you interviewed pretty well .
I will keep my fingers crossed for you . Keep us all updated !

gremlin
11-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Well done you! Good luck with the next stage, if you get the question I got about the kid and hammer try Paivis answer! You'll have to let us know when your second one is so we can all send positive thoughts again.

mad_turnips
11-11-2008, 10:14 AM
just make sure you facebook is locked if you use it .... have heard ( and seen ) pontential employers doing a quick check on it to see what comes up

needless to say the guy with a profile pic of him off his face and listing his only hobbys and "drinking and shagging" didnt get as favourable interview as he might of liked ;)

Snips
23-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Hey pegboy, any news?

pegboy
23-11-2008, 04:49 PM
I did not hear anything from the interview so i called on Thursday, and left a message. They called me back an hour later saying that they wanted me to go for a second interview and let me know when they had available dates. So Friday they called me back and have a second interview on 4th December.

So I will need to wait and prepare.

Snips
23-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Cool. Glad you got news. Congrats on the second interview.

Let us know if we can help.

pegboy
23-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Yes will do, you all gave me confidence and support it was great feeling.

Keep you posted.

Many Thanks

pegboy
24-12-2008, 10:37 PM
It was early November when i first posted about a very nervous position i was in, a Job interview, after the first interview with one Director and the HR lasting a little over two hours, then being called in for a second that lasted a little over three hours with a test and another interview with another Director and the Big Boss, i finally recieved news yesterday that i was successful.

The best part is that i go to Australia for 7 weeks in January (pre booked) and they are willing to wait for my return to start. So i start in March 09.

So a big thank you to you all for your advice and support, it really was a great feeling to have such support from some people i have never met in person, so once again i thank you all, and the best part is that i get to ride approx. 45m round trip each day on the great italian machine, i feel a newer Monster coming on next year, don't tell the missus.

Merry Christmas to you all and a happy new year

Regards
Paolo

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bodybag
24-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Thats brilliant news. Well done mate and congratulations.

Snips
24-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Fantastic news, Pegboy!

Congrats!

gremlin
25-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Well done you! Couldn't be a better christmas present. Good luck with it all, hope you enjoy your work, I think that's half the battle.

Paivi
25-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Excellent news! Well done and enjoy your holiday now, knowing you'll have a great job to go to on your return!

StevieB
25-12-2008, 10:54 PM
congratulations , enjoy your holiday