PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pipes

PETE.AKO
02-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi all, please could some one help me out? now that the cold weather has arrived i need some oil pipes for my 2000 M750 to stop it from freezing up!
At the moment the oil pipes go straight to the oil cooler and i could have them go through the carbs as they have rubber bungs in the float bowls.
I cant find any one that has these pipes ?
Thanks peter

lcjohnny
02-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Not sure I'd bother with this mod?

I have the oil pipes to warm the carbs fitted on my 900 as standard and they do not work all the time - It still ices and stalls unless i use fuel additive when the temp drops below about 6 degrees and it is humid.

However the pipes do make carb adjustment and valve clearance checking very difficult..:nash::nash::nash:

Your choice of course

Jon G

PETE.AKO
03-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks for that, I use pro FST this dose help but if the temperature go's below -3 or so i start having problems! i also tape up half oil cooler and find this helps . Roll on summer?

lcjohnny
03-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Normally carb icing shouldn't happen below freezing ( i know it sounds barmy but patience :hail:)

Normally carb icing occurs because petrol evaporating cools the carb. In low temps above freezing there is a lot of moisture in the air which can precipitate out as the temperature drops in the carb - then freeze, where it freezes depends on the design of carb and its position.

If the ambient air temperature is already below freezing the further drop as the air passes through the drillings in the carb cannot make water precipitate out and freeze. So normal icing occurs in damp conditions close to and above zero.

However if you have water in your fuel that will freeze in lumps when the temp drops below zero. So from the symptoms you describe I would be looking at water in the fuel; that could be due to contaminated fuel or water getting into the tank. - check the drain pipes from round the filler cap are both open. And also drain the carbs and try to catch what comes out to see if it is mucky with water.

Anyone else got ideas here?

PETE.AKO
03-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Normally carb icing shouldn't happen below freezing ( i know it sounds barmy but patience :hail:)

Normally carb icing occurs because petrol evaporating cools the carb. In low temps above freezing there is a lot of moisture in the air which can precipitate out as the temperature drops in the carb - then freeze, where it freezes depends on the design of carb and its position.

If the ambient air temperature is already below freezing the further drop as the air passes through the drillings in the carb cannot make water precipitate out and freeze. So normal icing occurs in damp conditions close to and above zero.

However if you have water in your fuel that will freeze in lumps when the temp drops below zero. So from the symptoms you describe I would be looking at water in the fuel; that could be due to contaminated fuel or water getting into the tank. - check the drain pipes from round the filler cap are both open. And also drain the carbs and try to catch what comes out to see if it is mucky with water.

Anyone else got ideas here?Thanks for the info i will have a go at that .If i empty the fuel tank will i have to bleed the pump?

lcjohnny
03-11-2008, 11:00 PM
just to check (bak to basiks time for me :fou:) it is a carb 750 yes:look:?

If so water globules can collect in the tank, filter, vacuum tap, pump & float bowls

At this stage I suggest just looking for the problem (diagnostic phase) useful not to confuse this with solving the problem (treatment phase) as if you do it makes it v hard to work out what caused the problem and avoid re-currence. - you can see dirty (i.e. rusty so therefore water) stuff in the translucent filter and you can use the float bowl drain screws to...... drain the float bowls so these are two tests you can do without disassembling anything big:o.

If there is no water in the filter or float bowls (very small bits = 1-2mm diameter "bubbles" of water in the fuel) then it is much less likely that there is water in the fuel so it may not be icing up.

Then reduce the priority of that hypothesis and look for others

lcjohnny
03-11-2008, 11:07 PM
aha
what i forgot on a cold day it is very common for peeps (you and I)to overestimate how cold it is.

SO if it is freezing open water on the ground will turn to ice (puddles)

Now my guesses about the signs of what the real temp is follow -

overnight frost on parked cars will form at around 1-3 degrees (C) above zero due to wind chill and the metal & glass of the car taking heat away.

Road salt becomes slimey at ( my guess) maximum 6 degrees (C) above zero mimicking ice.

Freezing fog precipitates ice on your jacket at about 1-3 degrees still air temp

so i think there are a few real pointers that make most of us misjudge actual temperature
- and added to that is the stupid thermometer in my (VW) car - i have tested that and it is 4.5 degrees pessimistic = bloody useless :shocked:

jon

Kiwi
04-11-2008, 06:19 AM
Hi Pete

you could buy a cheap bike like a guzzi monza for a winter hack and keep your duke nice and shiney for summer

Dookbob
04-11-2008, 02:57 PM
I think I might be inclined to get a second hand pair of carbs from a later model, the ones with the electric carb body heaters, and fit them.

PETE.AKO
04-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi Pete

you could buy a cheap bike like a GUZZI Monza for a winter hack and keep your duke nice and shiney for summer
:thumbsdown:OK OK Thanks for the impute ? but i had the same problem with the GUZZI!so there :banghead:

PETE.AKO
04-11-2008, 07:12 PM
I think I might be inclined to get a second hand pair of carbs from a later model, the ones with the electric carb body heaters, and fit them.

The bike has Suzuki carb heaters fitted, had them checked to see if they work and they do? but not that well obviously?:confused:

PETE.AKO
04-11-2008, 07:22 PM
just to check (bak to basiks time for me :fou:) it is a carb 750 yes:look:?

If so water globules can collect in the tank, filter, vacuum tap, pump & float bowls

At this stage I suggest just looking for the problem (diagnostic phase) useful not to confuse this with solving the problem (treatment phase) as if you do it makes it v hard to work out what caused the problem and avoid re-currence. - you can see dirty (i.e. rusty so therefore water) stuff in the translucent filter and you can use the float bowl drain screws to...... drain the float bowls so these are two tests you can do without disassembling anything big:o.

If there is no water in the filter or float bowls (very small bits = 1-2mm diameter "bubbles" of water in the fuel) then it is much less likely that there is water in the fuel so it may not be icing up.

Then reduce the priority of that hypothesis and look for others

Thanks,yes its has carbs, I think i will start to go through you're list at the weekend. Just a thought would a petrol additive to get rid of water or stop it from forming!/:idea:

Dookbob
04-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks,yes its has carbs, I think i will start to go through you're list at the weekend. Just a thought would a petrol additive to get rid of water or stop it from forming!/:idea:
No Pete, nothing gets rid of water except draining it off, then of course you have to find out where it was coming from in the first place.