PDA

View Full Version : fitting of a new clutch lever & gear changer

david brent
01-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Hello,
i wonder if anyone can give me some pointers. i dropped my bike today, i was travelling at low speed and hit a patch of oil. luckley i got away with only a bent clutch lever and a bent gear 'pedal'.

what i'd like to know is how easy are these to change myself, regarding the clutch lever, i've had a look in the Haynes manual and in the 'clutch master cylinder' section it mentions unscrewing the pivot bolt- is it a case of just slipping a new lever in there ??

as for the gear pedal, i couldn't find much about it in the manual, but it appears (to the untrained eye, ie, mine) that that its an allen key to undo it, take it off, and screw a new one back on.

i have a theory that as there's not much mentioned in the manual of either, they are relatively straight- forward jobs.....
but then i don't want to start unscrewing thing, if other bits and bobs are going to fall out/ apart.. i don't want to make things worse

thanks for reading...

Nickj
01-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Get the right clutch lever, they come in two sizes with a 12 or 10mm diameter pins. Can't remember which the 620 has tho, and yes its a simple undo remove pin, put in new lever.
The brake pedal will be as easy, hooking the spring back on should be the only fiddly bit.

lcjohnny
01-11-2008, 11:39 PM
David (can I call you RIcky?)

Nice to read the fresh words of (what i think is) an enthusiastic beginner- forgive me if i am teaching you to 'suck eggs' :eek:

clutch lever
put some LM grease (any sort) on the pivot pin & in the hole & on the bit of the lever that pushes the piston in (because it 'wipes' across the surface)

gearlever
the linkage screws into the lever and operating arm. so that you can adjust it one of the threads on the connecting rod is left handed or BACK TO FRONT. so when you undo the gear lever from the connecting rod look at the threads first to check that you are undoing & not tightening up. Then LM grease on the pivot pin and the ball joint

Jon G:)

david brent
03-11-2008, 05:20 PM
thanks for the advice guys, i've got the parts so i'll give it a go tomorrow..

johnny, enthusiastic beginner is good- or 'apprehensive' beginner' will do :worried:

harry_hyde
04-11-2008, 06:33 AM
I had to do one of these at the weekend on my 620Sie.

Theres a 19mm thin steel nut on the bottom of the retaining pin that pushes through the lever.

Undo that and gently tap the retaining pin upwards. The lever will come out and it also releases a small bracket which holds a microswitch.

When you pull the lever out, make sure you don't lose the steel pin that sits between the lever and the master cylinder.

Offer the new lever up making sure the pin is in place and sits in the cup in the lever and in the master cylinder.

You'll need to push the lever in against the steel pin and master cylinder to get the holes to line up to get the retaining pin in. I managed mine on my own but a helper may come in useful. With the retaining pin part way through remember to offer the microswitch and bracket back up to the bottom of as its difficult to get on with the retaining pin all the way through.

Slot the retaining pin in and put the nut back on and tighten it up.

As said before, a bit of grease on the retaining pin would be good.

As a final check, make sure when you pull the clutch lever the microswitch clicks. (You'll need this for starting in gear if you ever stall and need a quick start.)

Hope this helps.

Jody.