PDA

View Full Version : Ditching the one piece...Jean and Bomber jacket?

PDL
31-10-2008, 07:11 AM
Now that my sports bike days are long gone and my Monster days are here to stay I think the one piece may need to go, well it is a zip at the waist type thing but just as unruley. I like leather so was thinking of a smart Ducati jacket, first problem solved. But what about the bottom half?

Jeans - has anyone got any of them denim/kevlar jeans, or the BMW city pants and how do they compare to my leather one piece? From a protection aspect.

Or what can you recommend for the leg department?

slob
31-10-2008, 07:31 AM
From a protection aspect, leather is going to be hard to beat. I have some kevlar armoured jeans too, fortunately I have no live testing experience so far, the leathers I have tested and they work!

Scootaboy
31-10-2008, 08:42 AM
From a protection aspect, leather is going to be hard to beat. I have some kevlar armoured jeans too, fortunately I have no live testing experience so far, the leathers I have tested and they work!

how are the jeans for everyday use? ie do they got hot while walking around etc? any downsides?

mad_turnips
31-10-2008, 09:50 AM
pretty good depening on which you have i have hein G ones with a bit of a lining which get a bit hot but not to bad and mates have draggin and swear by them also the draggin combats are supost to be pretty good too

Rudeboy
31-10-2008, 12:34 PM
I've got the Ducati 80's style leather jacket ( very smart ) and just a good old pair of Levi's.

Does me alright !!

Nickj
31-10-2008, 01:38 PM
I've got some of the hood kevlar lined ones, also untested. Comfy but tend to be a bit warm on hot days.

slob
31-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Yep, can be a bit warm on hot days but having come of several times in regular jeans, I'll put up with it. Still feel much safer in leathers though.

leslie_dash
31-10-2008, 03:36 PM
There's nothing wrong with wearing a one piece on a monster, especially an S4R!!!

Blah blah
31-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Got some draggin jeans, and they're very comfy, nice and cool, but not tested...

Oh, and apparently they also do a waterproof version, just in case

ton_up
31-10-2008, 10:30 PM
I tried some of those jeans on with the protection etc but felt very vulnerable, deffo better in leather. If it helps just think what your skin will look like when they've had a scrubbing brush to it to remove the gravel.................there............decision made!! Stay safe.

Duke_Hatty
01-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Jeans - has anyone got any of them denim/kevlar jeans, or the BMW city pants and how do they compare to my leather one piece? From a protection aspect.

Or what can you recommend for the leg department?

Both me and my missus both have some Hood kevlar jeans. Made in the UK and very nice. Warmer than regular jeans, but you'd be hard pushed to tell they are not normal jeans

As for protection, then yes, lether or cordura will obviously be better. But I've crashed 3 times at 20-40 ish mph and every time I've been wearing normal jeans and not had more then the odd small graze. Maybe it's luck, or maybe the mountainbiking has taught me how to fall off correctly, but there you go.....!
:)

littlejimmy12
13-11-2008, 03:52 PM
I can higly reccomend http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Icon_Superduty_2_Textile_Pant--622724.html

there's no armour in these but a 30 foot slide down Islington high street pu them to the test, lost 2 button and tore a whole in a pocket (leathers on underneath) I like them because there baggy and long, I can just about get away with them in a pub, but prob not in middle of summer, I wear independant armour with them - to be fair I wouldn;t want to come off with anything other than leather on! or for that matter slide doen Islington high street again!!

wade749
03-12-2008, 09:53 AM
+1 on the Ducati 80's jacket but it's going to be a few months until I can wear it on the bike again.
I like the look of the Red Route Kevlar jeans. They've got a flexi panel on the top of the waist to help protect the hip area (available from Ducati Aylesbury).
I flipped an RD400 years ago wearing just jeans and a tee shirt and I've got scars on my arse/hips and elbows... I learned my lesson.
I think there must be little switch in the brain that is engaged when wearing one-piece leathers that gives you that extra peace of mind that you dont get with textiles.
Although I've got armour in my Gortex/cordura gear that I ride to work in when the weather is crap (like now and all bloody summer:scratch:) I still feel pretty vulnerable.
In the summer of 2006 I was hit up the arse end by a twat on a Bimota and knocked 20 mt's down the road and managed to get up and ride my bike back home. My leathers and back protector save me that day so I know it's not just a false sence of security.
There's also plenty neat looking paddock boots available too which would give good ankle protection too that look excellent with Kevlar jeans so you can be well kitted out and be comfortable without looking like a squid.

Snips
03-12-2008, 11:55 AM
I tried some of those jeans on with the protection etc but felt very vulnerable, deffo better in leather. If it helps just think what your skin will look like when they've had a scrubbing brush to it to remove the gravel.................there............decision made!! Stay safe.

What she said.

A little discomfort now is a small price to pay for avoiding serious 'discomfort' later.

Johnny_E
03-12-2008, 12:21 PM
I've had both Hood and now Draggin jeans. The Hoods are warmer by far - thicker. Also, Draggins are a slimmer fit.

Having worn 2 piece leathers this past 2 yrs before buying my Monster... I haven't yet worn the Draggins. Doesnt feel right. I guess summer weather will maybe change that.

John

Grumpy
03-12-2008, 09:53 PM
I wear dragging jeans reguarly, cooler than leather in the summer, I also find them less restictive to wear.

Scootaboy
03-12-2008, 10:01 PM
out of interest...do you leather people carry a change of clothes in your rucksack when you go to work etc? (assuming you dont wear trousers under them)

Johnny_E
04-12-2008, 09:36 AM
out of interest...do you leather people carry a change of clothes in your rucksack when you go to work etc? (assuming you dont wear trousers under them)

I keep a couple of pairs of jeans & trainers in work - we have a gym & changing/shower room which is handy.

As a matter of interest... the 80's jackets... where do you buy them? They match my tank!!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2007/2868922634_41821d470f.jpg

John

wade749
04-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Yes. I keep a change of clothes at work and I carry a rucksck to work so that I can carry home all of the exra layers of thermals that I have to wear early in the morning to keep warm.
I usually carry spare gloves so that I can swap them if they get too wet and I also carry a spare visor so that if I'm travelling to work in the dark I wear a clear visor and then when I'm coming home in the day light ( I won't say sunshine) I can put a tinted visor on.
The main problem with Winter/Autum is the amount of gear you need and if take your bike and need to walk around somewhere or go in a building which is warm then you end up cooking.
This all goes back to the advantage of jeans and a jacket... roll on spring again:fiery:

wade749
04-12-2008, 10:04 AM
I keep a couple of pairs of jeans & trainers in work - we have a gym & changing/shower room which is handy.

As a matter of interest... the 80's jackets... where do you buy them? They match my tank!!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2007/2868922634_41821d470f.jpg

John
Got mine from Brands Hatch but you'll find one here

http://www.ducati.com/shop/index.jsp?_requestid=140730
I've seen them at most ducati dealers.

jerry
07-12-2008, 09:17 AM
I have 2 pairs of Hood Jeans , great quality much beter finish and protection than Draggin jeans. i wear them in UK and Thailand .

southfrance
07-12-2008, 08:10 PM
well it seems i'm the only one with Red Route bike jeans (£99), very comfy, knee pads, kevlar sections, quite baggy.

Smile, your on a Ducati.