PDA

View Full Version : Ebayers - help!

singletrack
29-10-2008, 03:28 PM
I bought something yesterday on ebay.Seller had 100% feedback, but not very recent so I couldn't check what it was for.
It was £50 deposit and pay the rest on collection.
I tried to contact the seller by email/message to arrange collection and to pay the deposit( I want to make sure it is legit).
i haven't been able to get in touch with the seller, so I have not yet paid the deposit.

Because I had not received any contact with the seller I contacted ebay for a phone number and tried that. The people there have not heard of the seller. So I sent the member a message to say get in touch ASAP - within the next 24 hours in any event.

If he does not contact me, am I within my rights to cancel the sale? I need this item and do not want to miss out on another similar one.

Any thoughts? What would you do?

walpole68
29-10-2008, 03:33 PM
If the seller doesnt contact you then yes you can cancel,just copy all emails so you have a record,as long as you can prove you have attempted to contact and pay for then after no response a written cancelation then you have covered your self.

julesbristol
29-10-2008, 04:07 PM
From experience some people are really slow checking their messages on eBay - if it's only been 24 hours then maybe give it another 24.

Not to be alarmist but you do hear of people hijcaking old accounts from people who aren't on eBay any more and using their 100% feedback to scam people. This could be one of those, but it's probably just someone being slow to respond.

New eBay rules mean the seller can't give you negative feedback anyway so it doesn't matter if you think it's dodgy and just walk away.

Trent
29-10-2008, 04:21 PM
I had one like that the other day... No response from emails etc - Got phone number from ebay, but it was an invalid number.
I was suspicious when the email came through at the end of the auction and his address was "London, UK" so I didn't send any money.

A couple of weeks later I emailed ebay with the details. They said the users account had been hijacked, and not to send any money (phew!).

Also had one where there was no response from email / phone calls - Turned out he was on holiday and got back to me 10 days after the auction finished...

I'd wait for a week or so, then let ebay know that you've tried contacting the user with no luck.