PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Samba123
26-10-2008, 02:09 PM
I thought this was a good time to say hello, I have been a closet observer of the forums for a while now, and really enjoyed the banter and advice, but I did not really feel worthy to post any comments, as I was a non-Ducati owner, in fact I could not even ride motorcycle.

I have been interested in motorcycles, especially Ducatis for a long time but did not have the money, time or the nerve to take a test. However this year, with the kid growing up, the mortgage looking smaller and the fact that I hit 46 sent me into the as the wife puts it "classic mid-life crisis" I started to train for the test.

After two failed tests - damn u-turns - I swopped training school and passed with one fault thanks to FastTrak in Great Barr, Lee is a great instructor who really knows how to take the p*!s, which really worked for me. I would not hesitate to recommend him, he is very good at teaching old dogs new tricks.

Then I started to look around for what to buy, on the short list was Ducati Monster S2R, Honda Hornet or a Street Triple. I did the trips around the dealers, I told them I was buying cash and was told no way could I have a test ride without a years experience of riding a motorcycle. I couldn't see how I could spend that amount of money without taking a test ride.

I did a lot of sitting on motorcycles looking a prat in the shops but could I get a test drive, no way, then the credit crunch started to hit and suddenly a test drive was not a problem. It's funny how things work out.

So I got to be scared witless on quite a few bikes, a bit different from the stuff I trained on, but I must be honest the only one that really hit hard was the Monster, the noise, the looks and something I cannot put my finger on but is best described as personality, non of the others came close, sure they were faster perhaps if you know how to use them but not for me.

I was going to go for a S2R and wanted a new motorcycle but stocks had ran out due to the release of the 696, at first I thought the 696 looked a really turkey and could not believe what Ducati had done, then I went to see one in the flesh and bang that was it, the pictures really do not do it justice, easier to handle than the S2R with better brakes, sign me up.

Thanks for Ducati Wolverhampton for looking after me, really friendly and knowledgeable and not too hard on a novice without a clue.

So now I am a proud owner of 696, I felt guilty at first, but now if the weather is even half decent and the wife is out, on goes the helmet and off we go.

Before the motorcycle training I had not ridden a motorcycle even as a kid but now I am getting used to the nod of the head and the camaraderie just because you ride a motorcycle, how many times has somebody started to talk to you as you fill up a car with petrol, with a Ducati it happens almost every time.

I now need to get enough miles to get the 696 run-in and start planning some touring for next year. I have found the 696 really easy to ride and would recommend it as a first real motorcycle.

So if anybody is around Cannock and sees a bloke riding around on a 696 with an insane grin, it is probably going to be me.

If any of you have any advice for a novice let me have it.

SambaRumba

Nonnie
26-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Hello and well done for getting those exhausts on so fast!

You're right, the grin factor is enormous.

J.P
26-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Well done to you for making the right choice. There are plenty of 696 owners around now and plenty of advice from any of us if we can help. Better get some good waterproofs and some thermals to get those miles up.

DavidEJM
26-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Nice words! Welcome.

StevieB
26-10-2008, 05:18 PM
congratulations on your test and your purchase . Obviously a bloke with extraordinary good taste . Only tip would be to fit a 14 tooth front sprocket . It will run in traffic better , as I found it a bit lumpy after fitting termis/filter/ecu

Samba123
26-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the info on the 14 tooth front sprocket, I was interested in getting this done on the first service, I am not really bothered about loosing a bit of top end speed, how much difference does it make?

Thanks for the other nice comments - cheers