PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Killed my battery

simons
16-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Quick question. Need to start bike but battery died on me this morning. Is it safe to jump it off a car battery, or am i going to fry the electrics? Its a M1000sie, not sure if that makes any difference.

Paivi
16-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Yes. Have jumpstarted mine from cars and road building equipment. Now I have a compressor/jump starter at home just for those occasions.

Blimey: 16 views and nobody answered???

Scootaboy
16-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Yes. Have jumpstarted mine from cars and road building equipment. Now I have a compressor/jump starter at home just for those occasions.

Blimey: 16 views and nobody answered???

Do you need to do this often or just after long periods of (the bikes) hibernation?

Paivi
16-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Do you need to do this often or just after long periods of (the bikes) hibernation?
I used to have a Datatool 4 alarm on the Duchess, and even in sleep mode, if I didn't use the bike for 2-3 weeks, it would drain the battery. If you hibernate the bike, you should put the battery on trickle charge.

I had to buy the jumpstarter for the scooter, as something was wrong with it and it never had enough charge. Occasionally, I had to jumpstart it every time I wanted to use it, but now that I've moved to a 40mph zone and heated garage, the battery's been fine.

simons
16-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Decided to take a chance and jump it without waiting for replies. Started no problem, had a great ride, lovely in west london at the moment, not much traffic and sunny

Paivi
16-10-2008, 04:51 PM
For future reference, you could get yourself one of these (http://www.akautospares.co.uk/index.php/car-maintenance/rolson-12v-jump-start-air-compressor/p_45.html). I've had one for about five years. Petrol stations cannot be relied on air, as the compressors often don't work or cannot be attached to bike tyres.

You just charge it up at home overnight, and the charge will last best part of a whole year, with the occasional tyre pumping up.

manwithredbike
16-10-2008, 10:33 PM
buy yourself an optimate. around 30quid on ebay. your battery will always be in tiptop condition all year round incl winter when you havent started it for a while