PDA

View Full Version : starter motor

Ducmon
15-10-2008, 09:24 AM
When checking why the starter motor would not spin. I found that the bolt which the electric cable is attach is badly rusted. Is it possible to replace this bolt and has anybody done it with a brass one?

Ducmon

slob
15-10-2008, 09:52 AM
That bolt will almost always look rusted, even if well grased inside the rubber cover.

do you get a clicking from the solenoid?
If you do and the starter motor does not spin, check this thread
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=30351

If no clicking when you press the start button, the problem is somewhere else.

Ducmon
15-10-2008, 02:46 PM
She started after pressing the stater switch for about 30 seconds. So I checked all of the connections and cleaned them. The bolt I left alone because it was so badly rusted. I just thought it is better to change it for a brass bolt before it rusts through and I am stuck somewhere, its a stupid design a steel bolt where all the water and muck gets thrown from the front wheel.

Ducmon

Capo
15-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Yes you can change this bolt

lcjohnny
15-10-2008, 10:48 PM
If the bolt you are talking about is the same as on 96 & 97 M900s it is a stud coming form inside the starter. It goes through an insulating collar in the starter body and has a tab on the other end from which a braided wire goes to the live brush of the motor. Try not to let it turn on any account as if the the tab turns it can contact the metal starter case shorting it out - or it can split the insulating collar - achieving the same thing.:hissy:

I have seen new ones but you need to strip the starter motor before you can change it.

Rust on an electrical terminal is frequently due to electrolytic corrosion in other words it is shorting gently through a water base fluid to something. So best keep the water out = I just filled up the rubber boot with black silicone gutter seal and then regrease the terminal nut at every service - it does not seem to rust.

Jon