PDA

View Full Version : Mesh oil filter

Shuffy
14-10-2008, 05:24 PM
I thought I'd give my S2R 1000 an oil change at the weekend and it all seemed straight forward until it came to removing the mesh oil filter under the sight glass. The cover came off easily enough but the large 14mm hex plug holding the filter refused to budge. I tried a 16inch breaker bar on the end of the socket but it still wouldn't move.

I know the torque setting is about 40Nm and as it seemed like I was going to have to use more force to shift it than I was happy with, so I decided to stop. Has anyone else had the same problem or has some joker Locktited the thing in when it was last serviced (gawd). If it needs a ridiculous large amount of leverage to shift it then fine, but I didn't fancy snapping a large chunk of engine casing off or stripping the thread by trying too hard.

It may have helped if the engine was still warm, but by the time I'd got a long breaker bar, it had gone cold. Would that have a made any difference?

As it was only an interim oil change, I decided that discretion was the better part of valor and left well alone (in case of a major disaster), but if anyone has got a good method of getting it out it would be useful to know in preparation for the next time. Or is there something obvious I'm missing (like a left hand thread?) or is it stuck in there forever!?

Trent
14-10-2008, 06:02 PM
I've got the same problem with a Monster 1000S - Your post sounds exactly like my experience - I left mine where it was as well.

I'm also interested to find out if we're doing something wrong...

Nickj
14-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Mines always come out OK.
I tend towards the surprise attack method on sticky parts; that or a bit of differential temperature loosening, warm engine and some pipe freezer often works.
16" just about qualifies as a wrench, 2-3ft moves it to real breaker bar territory LOL the clues in the BREAKer part ... Shove... Crack... OOPS!!

jerry
16-10-2008, 07:59 PM
They seem to tighten in use I dont torque mine up much when cleaning but the seem a bugger to undo next time.