PDA

View Full Version : Anyone GreenLane??

YellaMonsta
06-10-2008, 10:03 AM
I was up a Box hill on Saturday where saw this German/Austrian lady on her Yamaha Trail bike absolutly caked in mud! :) The bike looked great and I am thinking of giving green laning a try.

I am thinking of getting a 250 Trail bike (fully legal and insured). Any green laners here?

I bumped into Jerry XT, down there aswell, we were talking Ducati's for about 15 minutes before Jerry clocked me from this forum. Quite funny really... 'Say are you that bloke YellaMonsta off the internet?'

J.P
06-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Sazza G & her husband Roger get all dirty at the weekends.
They're often at Box Hill too.

giler
06-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Used to greenlane alot.
Bike choice depends on what you want - ttr 250 yam or newer crf 230 are nice light elec start 4 strokes. Honda CRM 250's are nice two strokes with autolube.
DR350 or xr 400 are decent kick start four strokes.
Then whole manor of KTMs - 2 and four stroke, bit livelier puckka enduros.

Inside leg can sometimes rule your choice!

alreadyinuse
06-10-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm a short arse so i got a skyteam generic yamaha copy thing.
on a 55 plate for £300.
turned out it had a real yamaha engine which was a bonus.

My mate has an ancient sp370 which is basically the dr350's grandad and i can get on it but once i do i can't kick it. its waay too tall.

Got quite a bit of attention from the busiies tho.
you're breaking the law we're going to sieze your bike etc.
I calmly asked which law i was breaking.
He couldn't tell me because i wasn't breaking any. He tried to say my insurance didnt cover me which is crap.

They are used to nabbing kids on unregistered bikes wi no hemets.

As long as your bike is legal and the lanes you use don't have no motorcycle signs you'll be fine.

JerryXt
06-10-2008, 12:09 PM
I bumped into Jerry XT, down there aswell, we were talking Ducati's for about 15 minutes before Jerry clocked me from this forum. Quite funny really... 'Say are you that bloke YellaMonsta off the internet?'

I've even posted pics of my bike on here and you STILL didn't clock it :D

Good to meet up tho. You need to get your mate onto a proper bike. Blandit - really....

And you will do a trackday! Gadget has a 583 monnie like yours and (under)took me at Paddock Hill bend with me on my trackbike - 998 engine, sticky tyres...

SazzaG
06-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Sazza G & her husband Roger get all dirty at the weekends.
They're often at Box Hill too.

Yup, we were out getting dirty in Hampshire on Saturday! Rog has a KTM 525 EXC, and I have a Honda CRF230 ('cos I'm a short arse).

We've not really done any trails in Surrey, and there aren't any legal ones in Sussex, so you may have to be prepared to travel. Hampshire's pretty good though, especially for a beginner.

There's a few of us from the MOC who go out regularly in various parts of the country (Julie & Ruth, Robht, JMo), and as long as you're sensible and stick to non-busy legal lanes, you shouldn't have any problems from miserable ramblers, etc.

Which 250 are you thinking of getting?

YellaMonsta
06-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Hey all... motorcycles are awesome! I am so hooked.

Well its about budget with me, I have a M600 which is up for sale so I can buy a bigger Monster. So bike funds are tight. I think I would like to spend £1500-£2000 for a decent trail bike. Perhaps a Honda as they seem plentiful.

I open when it comes to choice of bike, but I'd probably prefer to go with a big Japense manufacturer.

I'd really like to get a bike in the new year when i may be able to grab a bargain. :)

Nickj
06-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Hampshire trails are best done in the winter time the mixture of sopping wet clay on chalk is just so much fun LOL

Nickj
06-10-2008, 01:15 PM
KTM's are the biz, WR's not too bad with a heavier flywheel, But really for sensible green laning the Honda XR's works superbly, enough power to embaress you with enough range to ensure plenty of pain.
The 500's are too big and heavy but the old 250's are really tough look out for one with a 280 conversion which makes a huge difference.

YellaMonsta
06-10-2008, 02:22 PM
I've even posted pics of my bike on here and you STILL didn't clock it :D

Good to meet up tho. You need to get your mate onto a proper bike. Blandit - really....

And you will do a trackday! Gadget has a 583 monnie like yours and (under)took me at Paddock Hill bend with me on my trackbike - 998 engine, sticky tyres...

Wow he took you on a M600.. awesome.

I have had a few calls for my Monster but no ones come to see it. So it maybe that I'll be keeping it, which is no bad thing. :)

Yeah I could see you disappointment when my mate mentioned he was riding a Bandit. His brother is a big Ducati fan though. Its kinda because of him that i started to look for a Ducati in the first place.

I have to say I was mega impressed with my M600 on saturday... great bike!

if I keep it, then I'll strip it down for a repaint and enamel over the winter.

YellaMonsta
06-10-2008, 02:24 PM
KTM's are the biz, WR's not too bad with a heavier flywheel, But really for sensible green laning the Honda XR's works superbly, enough power to embaress you with enough range to ensure plenty of pain.
The 500's are too big and heavy but the old 250's are really tough look out for one with a 280 conversion which makes a huge difference.

KTM's seem out of my price range. I'd love one though. Hmmn I may have to get a trail bike sooner rather then later.

mad_turnips
06-10-2008, 02:49 PM
where is it possible to do days out greening i hampshire was thinking of the geting some of the uni guys to gether for a day?

Julie
06-10-2008, 02:50 PM
I have a KTM 400 EXC and Ruth has a DRZ400

There is a sub group within the MOC of off roaders who meet up at least once a month for a weekend away full of dirty fun! we even make DVD's of this dirty fun.

Only you can choose your bike based on price and how you feel when you sit on it - advice is pointless as people say so many different things.

I love my KTM - ruth loves her DRZ neither of us would ride anything else.
Saz loves her CRF and JMo loves her XR ... Its just a matter of taste.

It's just what you get used to

All I'll say is for about 2 grand you'll get a great DRZ!

Julie
06-10-2008, 02:52 PM
ONE BIG TIP.....

Get one with electric start and stick to 4 stroke!

J.P
06-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Can I just take my SR4 green-laning so I don't have to buy another bike to get all dirty at the weekend ?

SazzaG
06-10-2008, 03:56 PM
You could always put knobblies on in JP!

Hampshire trails are best done in the winter time the mixture of sopping wet clay on chalk is just so much fun LOL

Ain't that the truth! I bottled it on Saturday and walked my bike down a really steep wet chalk bit. Last time I had an argument with the stuff, I ended up hitting the ground head first!

mad turnips - get yourself an ordnance survey map and some highlighter pens. Anything marked with red circular blobs or alternating crosses and dashes should be fine. Take a look on the local council pages for traffic regulation orders as well.

Or you could arrange a day out with us if you want!

Nickj
06-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Just go north turnips, over the first hill and then carry on till the next big one (QE country park).
Then go east or west check out a current OS map or use the online OS maps.
Hack up to butser hill as if you're going up to the radio mast about 100m past the junction on the right going towards oxenbourne look out for a part blocked lane. Stop bike and walk down a ways till it splits. Have a look down on your right which is grandfathers bottom, that's a nice fun climb in the wet.
If you go down to oxenbourne house heading towards ramsdean on your right you have cross ways a mate got his 4wd tractor stuck in there once!
Good in frost and snow LOL :fou: There's quite a few fun runs to be made up round there

Up towards steep marsh there are a few two run up wheatham hill. Nice rock ledges to be had there.

The run out of Hooksway is I still think a BOAT (look it up LOL) pop down the lane through linch down, you get a choice of 2 the seconds most fun, very steep and slippery. Henley lane is OK runs around stead combe and lets you drop out in cocking conviently close to fuel and a pub. you can squeeze 5Km out of that.

In winter when the casual ramblers have all retired to warm sofas and no one in their right mind wants to go out you can get from butser virtually to brighton with only about 20 miles on road if you're inventive... I used to do regular 80+mile round trip runs to keep bike fit when there was a dearth od enduros to ride.
I knew a nutter called Harry, if it had mud on it it was fair game including drainage ditches sheesh it was evil riding with him, still at the time the Red Lion in Chalton had an ace landlord who was the President for an enduro club. Ron would let you in covered in most anything to warm up over the fire with some H :freak: Used to be the same at Hooksway too on the odd days they were actually open.

Nickj
06-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Knobblies !!!! HA !!!!!!
Use trials pattern tyres, you're only going slow and the good trails guys toss them as soon as the leading edges of the blocks get a bit of wear. The X11's are commended 20 - 25 psi and they'll drag your ass out of most anything.
Done nationals on them too ;)

JMo
06-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Can I just take my SR4 green-laning so I don't have to buy another bike to get all dirty at the weekend ?

A guy on a Hypermotard came 4th overall (and 1st in the 1200cc class) on the Pikes Peak hillclimb in Colorado this year (if you don't know it, google it - it is the worlds highest/longest hill climb event)... and the only mods he'd made were a few parts out of the Ducati Performance catalogue...

Bet the works BMW HP2 riders were pig sick about that!

Shows you can do it if you have the balls!

xxx

JMo
06-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Just go north turnips, over the first hill and then carry on till the next big one (QE country park).
Then go east or west check out a current OS map or use the online OS maps.
Hack up to butser hill as if you're going up to the radio mast about 100m past the junction on the right going towards oxenbourne look out for a part blocked lane. Stop bike and walk down a ways till it splits. Have a look down on your right which is grandfathers bottom, that's a nice fun climb in the wet.
If you go down to oxenbourne house heading towards ramsdean on your right you have cross ways a mate got his 4wd tractor stuck in there once!

With the greatest of respect Nickj - virtually everything you've listed there is either illegal, or asking for trouble. The QE country park is out of bounds to motor vehicles, and Buster Hill is covered in walkers/dogs/horses every weekend and most week days. The lane/s near Oxbourne House are also TRO'd to motor vehicles.

One of the reasons green-lane riding has come in for so much hassle recently is riders going where they shouldn't, and not giving a sh!t. Even if the lanes are 'technically' legal, riding a bike (and especially a group of bikes) where nimby walkers who read the daily mail congregate is not going to do the hobby any favours.

Sure pick your times (as you say, the winter months are less busy) - but really, a country park and tourist spots like Buster Hill are only asking for trouble and getting more letters and headlines in the local press, further jepordising our ability to enjoy the country side the way we want to.

For novice off-road riders, it is far better to hook up with people with local knowledge and who have a firm understanding of (current) rights of way legislation regarding a particular area. Or be prepared travel a little further afield to those areas less populated.

xxx

Nickj
06-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Those factory BM's do move though, slammed past my 350 EXC like i was stuck in first at Erzberg. HA!! basssaddddd was my first thought
LOL Nope DNF ... I know when stupidity becomes insanity

JMo
06-10-2008, 07:59 PM
I know - I rode an HP2 earlier this year - awesome piece of kit...

Mind you, I really fancy one of these:

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/JMoandpiglet/USA%202008/WMK_PikesPeak.jpg

xxx

JMo
06-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Those factory BM's do move though, slammed past my 350 EXC like i was stuck in first at Erzberg. HA!! basssaddddd was my first thought
LOL Nope DNF ... I know when stupidity becomes insanity

You are mental! Mind you, are you familiar with the Red Bull Romaniacs? - ever fancied giving that ago?

http://www.redbullromaniacs.com/home/home/

Check out the video clips of each day's events!

xxx

Julie
06-10-2008, 08:05 PM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/Julie-horne/215684120-M.jpg

Yes Jp....

Julie
06-10-2008, 08:07 PM
For novice off-road riders, it is far better to hook up with people with local knowledge and who have a firm understanding of (current) rights of way legislation regarding a particular area. Or be prepared travel a little further afield to those areas less populated.

xxx

Or just join the TRF !

YellaMonsta
06-10-2008, 08:12 PM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/Julie-horne/215684120-M.jpg

Yes Jp....

Wow... that could give a fella some idea's for some mods!

Any details on those bikes? Who owns them? What mods? Are they any good off road?

JMo
06-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Wow... that could give a fella some idea's for some mods!

Any details on those bikes? Who owns them? What mods? Are they any good off road?

Check their website:

http://www.terramostro.com/index.cfm

xxx

SazzaG
06-10-2008, 08:21 PM
you can get from butser virtually to brighton with only about 20 miles on road if you're inventive...

Not any more - the official amount of legal trails in the whole of Sussex (and that's a very large county) is 10 kilometers.

We had lunch in Loomies on Saturday, and got talking to a couple of guys out of KTMs. They kept telling us to go down towards Butser Hill, and when I pointed out that a lot of the trails they were talking about had temporary TRO's on, they said "We temporarily lifted the TRO's until we had finished riding them" Great attitude! Like Jen said, it's people riding irresponsibly that can potentially ruin it for those of us who stick to the rules.

Nickj
06-10-2008, 09:22 PM
I was using QE as a rather obvious navigation point on the A3 as its a bit difficult to miss... As I've not been there for a while I don't know what the current status is other than that on the current revision of the OS maps. We did put in lots of time proving continuous use for well over 60 years on most of those ex-local routes, bike club archives of pictures were very handy when the first wave of BOATS were introduced. We also had the same for miles of tracks 'temporarily' ploughed out to boost war time production that were conveniently never reinstated, that wasn't the TRF just our bike club protecting what we'd used from before WW1 onwards.. Numpties in red socks, 4WD's and trail racers probably have changed that tho' .. leads me to thoughts of thick branches and rope....
Funnily enough enough I have ridden round quite a bit of QE and most of the forestry ground along the downs at one time or another, all sanctioned by the FC and QE management.
It's kind of obvious that it's (QE) not a bike related recreation area unless you pedal in which case the tracks for bikes there are quite good and were very technical in places, though not as good as the insane downhill area they have in the forest here, strangely less people get broken here.

Nickj
06-10-2008, 09:35 PM
are you familiar with the Red Bull Romaniacs? - ever fancied giving that ago?

LOL must admit I'm not but it looks fun in an intensely masochistic way. Some real interesting 'obstacles' though.

Noooooo Too old and knackered I think I'd be more likely to snap than bounce these days and my knees are already shot !!

Rosie looked at some of the vids then at me and laughed... Life is so cruel sometimes LOL

YellaMonsta
07-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Check their website:

http://www.terramostro.com/index.cfm

xxx

My wife thinks they have ruined those monsters... I think they are cool in a weird way. :) I wonder how they stack up against a proper off roader..

Well I am up for it... I'm gonna get a trail bike and have a go on some of the gentle trails to get the skills not to hurt myself too bad. Also I had better include all the kit in my 2k budget. I want armour if I am mud plugging!

Julie
07-10-2008, 06:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiSP13MfU-c&eurl=http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit2

This is part of a DVD i made from one of our trips this year.

Its great getting dirty

SazzaG
07-10-2008, 06:39 PM
There's that short-arse on a child's bike again!

YM - make sure you get good boots. They're probably the most important bit.

Check out the dirt bike show in November http://www.dirtbikeshow.co.uk/ Usually some bargains to be had there.

Rogerg
07-10-2008, 07:51 PM
There's that short-arse on a child's bike again!

and some fat idiot wearing far too much orange