PDA

View Full Version : Trickle Charger Problem..!!

masterofthemoon
03-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Due to lack of use lately have had a trickle charger on my S4R. I fire it up regularly but this morning forgot to turn the ignition key off and re-connected the trickle charger to the battery terminals . On returning to the bike 12 hours later the battery was dead ( no ignition lights) and the expensive trickle charger was also dead ( no power lights at all) the obvious fuse check was made but nothing....can anyone explain what has happenned..? ( electrically illiterate..!!)...thanks

Gilps
03-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Your fuel pump has been kept running whilst the ignition was left on, and maybe the lights too. Your trickle charger is not beefy enough to charge quicker than the pump and lights will discharge the battery, hence the flat battery. If your charger is an Optimate then it won't/can't recover a totally dead battery. In theory your battery is now scrap. I have managed to recover a battery in this state before by using a very heavy duty battery charger meant for a van/lorry. It managed to get a couple of volts in and that was enough for the Optimate to do it's thing.

Nickj
03-10-2008, 08:24 PM
If you can get the battery up to 6 or 7 volts then the charger will go into a recovery cycle, I think it does a long series of fairly heavy pulses until the volts come up to about 10 then it should just go into a more normal recharge mode.
The critical part is that there is some initial in the battery.
The pulse mode should mean that you get a charge beyond the surface of the battery otherwise you get a good voltage but it collapses as soon as you use it.
Got a £6 lidls sale optimate clone that does this kind of thing, as the bike does 50 miles a day it doesn't get used tho'

masterofthemoon
04-10-2008, 10:50 AM
thanks...the thing is the charger won't even show any power l.e.d.'s when plugged into the mains it is completely dead, has the demand put on it blown it up..??

Gilps
04-10-2008, 10:53 AM
It shouldn't have. Check the manual for the charger to see what it means.

Nickj
04-10-2008, 06:32 PM
It might have blown a fuse somewhere?